China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

Quote from: Franko on October 15, 2020, 01:33:00 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 15, 2020, 01:11:53 PM
Quote from: Franko on October 15, 2020, 01:01:55 PM
I don't think I've seen a poster make such a fool of themselves since trailer departed us.

But it makes great lunchtime reading - so keep up the good work young Angelo  ;D

You're the blowhard who was making definitive claims about Covid when it is impossible to make that kind of judgement on Covid.

Don't be embarrassed now because I set your straight.

Lol

It doesn't surprise me that you find such a simple task impossible.

But by all means keep trying.  It's great telly.

A vacuous, smarmy reply.

I didn't see that coming, it's almost like you have nothing of substance to add.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on October 15, 2020, 01:06:30 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 15, 2020, 12:54:18 PM
And you know this?

as you said we'd need a proper effort in tracing before you can get to the bottom of this.

Not every household is going to the pub, or have anyone within their house has been in contact with someone that has been to the pub, they'd probably have a lot of contact with people that have been to the shops or at school/uni and other places that are not pub related..

I've been to the pub once since they opened and the restaurants a few times over all... they ain't busy

I don't know this although I have heard the medical people say this. But if you get it in school it is much more likely to identified, if Jimmy gets Covid and rings the school to tell them then they'll also know that Johnny in his class who sits beside him has Covid and the connection will be made.

Of course you can get Covid in shops, but being in and out is safer than than sitting there for several hours.

The bars, up to when the wet bars opened was 1 hour 30 limit where I went to, outside was different.

If jimmy got Covid and rang the pub, they were supposed to be contact tracing them, they would have done the same as the school, and because a lot of them were doing that they are being punished for it!

It's safe if whoever you come into contact with hasn't got it, it's not safe if you've picked it up by sitting on a bus/train in a shop or office or from kids at school and you've passed it on to someone at work and so on. It's either close the lot down or keep things open but manage and enforce it better..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Franko

Quote from: Angelo on October 15, 2020, 01:39:09 PM
I don't think I've seen a poster make such a fool of themselves since trailer departed us.

But it makes great lunchtime reading - so keep up the good work young Angelo  ;D

You're the blowhard who was making definitive claims about Covid when it is impossible to make that kind of judgement on Covid.

Lol

A vacuous, smarmy reply.

I didn't see that coming, it's almost like you have nothing of substance to add.

Better to let you at it, you're doing really well here.

Angelo

Quote from: Franko on October 15, 2020, 01:54:32 PM

Lol

A vacuous, smarmy reply.

I don't think you're letting me at it, I just don't think you've anything to offer when it comes to substance.

The empty smarmy replies are what your arsenal consists of.

armaghniac

Quote from: thewobbler on October 15, 2020, 01:34:36 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 15, 2020, 01:25:32 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 15, 2020, 01:17:47 PM
On the contrary, all I've done on this thread is challenged people who know nothing about the virus making outlandish claims about the virus.

I've repeated time and time again we know very little about it and the next 5/6 weeks will be telling on what data is returned on this second wave.

The one sure thing we know is that lockdown and excessive restrictions have and will cause severe economic and societal problems and this kind of lockdown we have must be the last we enter if the data returned from the second wave is much more positive than the first.

Time will tell us that, not a few blowhards on an internet forum.

You've shown that you know nothing about it and are very resistant to being provided with information.
You must have been vaccinated against education.

Armaghniac your feelings on Covid are so desperately loaded towards a doomsday scenario, that you're incapable of being objective in any discussion of the subject. For you to attack anyone as "knowing nothing about it" is incredulous, as you simply refuse to consider that the virus may not be a global killer., and will  refuse to read or consider any evidence against your preordained thought channel.

Not so. I am informed by the data and anyone that wishes to refute anything I say need only produce reliable data. I have never said that it is the end of the world, but over 1 million people have died and in some parts of the world deaths rates have been two and a half times the usual number, so it is not a trivial thing either.

What I am against is people who claim that "science is only guessing" or "restrictions don't work" and who then go on to claim that the disease is not serious because of a decline in fatalities resulting from better science or restrictions.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Franko

Quote from: Angelo on October 15, 2020, 01:56:56 PM
Quote from: Franko on October 15, 2020, 01:54:32 PM

Lol

A vacuous, smarmy reply.

I don't think you're letting me at it, I just don't think you've anything to offer when it comes to substance.

The empty smarmy replies are what your arsenal consists of.

No, I am.  And you're playing a blinder!  ;D

Angelo

Quote from: armaghniac on October 15, 2020, 02:00:41 PM
On the contrary, all I've done on this thread is challenged people who know nothing about the virus making outlandish claims about the virus.

I've repeated time and time again we know very little about it and the next 5/6 weeks will be telling on what data is returned on this second wave.

The one sure thing we know is that lockdown and excessive restrictions have and will cause severe economic and societal problems and this kind of lockdown we have must be the last we enter if the data returned from the second wave is much more positive than the first.

You've shown that you know nothing about it and are very resistant to being provided with information.

Armaghniac your feelings on Covid are so desperately loaded towards a doomsday scenario, that you're incapable of being objective in any discussion of the subject. For you to attack anyone as "knowing nothing about it" is incredulous, as you simply refuse to consider that the virus may not be a global killer., and will  refuse to read or consider any evidence against your preordained thought channel.

Not so. I am informed by the data and anyone that wishes to refute anything I say need only produce reliable data. I have never said that it is the end of the world, but over 1 million people have died and in some parts of the world deaths rates have been two and a half times the usual number, so it is not a trivial thing either.

What I am against is people who claim that "science is only guessing" or "restrictions don't work" and who then go on to claim that the disease is not serious because of a decline in fatalities resulting from better science or restrictions.

But science is guessing. Have you been paying any attention so far? They haven't a breeze. Children for instance, spreaders or not don't know. Masks? Contended. Vaccine? On the way or not? Contended? Was it airborne or just on surfaces? They changed their mind on that? Remember all the modellers who predicted X number of cases and death and how wrong were they?

You seem to be putting faith in a field that can't find unilateral agreement in itself so what exactly are you saying?

I don't see where anybody said the disease wasn't serious here so try not be disingenuous.

Hound

It's staggering!

Fair play to LCohen and a few others for repeatedly calling out his nonsense in a very reasonable manner. Although I think their calm reasoned logical responses are utterly pointless as nothing goes in to that head of his!

Angelo

Quote from: Hound on October 15, 2020, 02:30:09 PM

It's staggering!

Fair play to LCohen and a few others for repeatedly calling out his nonsense in a very reasonable manner. Although I think their calm reasoned logical responses are utterly pointless as nothing goes in to that head of his!

What is staggering?

The only nonsense being put forward here are people making definitive statements about a novel virus that is still perplexing scientists.

You must be another amateur epidemiologist who thinks his opinions are facts?

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: Angelo on October 15, 2020, 12:32:23 PM
Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on October 15, 2020, 11:00:25 AM
Quote from: LCohen on October 15, 2020, 10:48:20 AM
Quote from: Angelo on October 15, 2020, 10:08:35 AM

You keep asking nonsense questions like which people which leads to me think you are not capable of anything close to an intelligent debate. Why don't you conduct an audit.

Here's an article for your world of ignorance and naivety.

https://www.health.com/condition/cold-flu-sinus/parents-dont-take-flu-seriously

The flu kills every year, vaccination or no vaccination. What is the acceptable level of risk? Why don't we go into lockdown every winter over the consequences of seasonal flu? Maybe you are now saying we should? At what cost does the world become consumed by Covid?

You confidently state "people on here ....." It's a logical question to ask you to name one. A question that you can't answer because it exposes your bogus argument

Stop using the flu as something to compare this to in terms of effects, numbers etc. It is such a lazy argument to bring the flu into it. Is is nothing like the flu once and is a nasty nasty repository disease.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/why-covid-19-isnt-the-flu

https://www.facebook.com/publichealthagency/videos/1720107168155944

To tackle this sort of nonsense head on..

A) You have a link from f**king Facebook, that says it all.

The other link has 4 main bullet points:

1.Experts say there are a number of reasons why COVID-19 is a more serious illness than the seasonal flu.

Experts say, experts say a lot of things, experts say a lot of things that contradict each other - the bottom line is these experts tend to be able to agree on very little with Covid - it's a novel virus we are still finding out about

2. They point out there's no vaccine yet for COVID-19 and community-wide immunity hasn't built up.

My that is ground breaking news, what does that tell us about whether Covid is worse than flu in its effect on someone who gets it

3. COVID-19 is also more infectious than the flu and has a higher death rate.

It's a novel virus, all across Europe now we are seeing new cases of Covid surging but fatality rates in line with the first wave dropping in multiples of up to 46 as Belgium is at the minute for instance.

4. COVID-19 also has a higher rate of hospitalizations.

As above, the second wave has been far, far less severe than the first.

It's ok to preach caution but how anyone can conclude such matters on Covid v flu at this point is idiotic, we won't know that for some time at all.

FFS....It wasn't any Facebook post. It was from the Public Health Agency. Not some half baked eejit.

Anyway, f**k it - you win. You are right and we are all wrong if that makes you feel better and the big man who is always right. I've better things to do with my life than spend all day on a forum with someone who twists and argues every minor details in some fucked up way. I'm all for debate and f**k knows I don't always get it right but I know where my moral compass is and that's all I care about. Good luck.

sid waddell

The virus has already killed 1.1 million people around the world

It's bizarre that you'd deny something that has been demonstrably true and has been for the last seven months

thewobbler

Sid, it would be more honest and realistic if instead of producing a figure of 1.1m in isolation - which means it is always going to look vast - perhaps  evaluating it against a relevant figure or benchmark.

Such as the one that 55 or so million people die every year across the globe. And that approximately 3 million people across the world were dying every year from respiratory infections, before Covid came along.

——

I know you're spoiling for an argument where you'll inevitably be wrong and throw out a load of nonsense garble that you recently used against someone else and thought it sounded clever, so I'm away now.

Angelo

Quote from: sid waddell on October 15, 2020, 02:39:15 PM

The virus has already killed 1.1 million people around the world

It's bizarre that you'd deny something that has been demonstrably true and has been for the last seven months

Fatality rates are dropping in double digit multiples across Europe in the second surge so far.

We will see what level those figures are at in the new year.

Angelo

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on October 15, 2020, 02:39:03 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 15, 2020, 12:32:23 PM
Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on October 15, 2020, 11:00:25 AM
Quote from: LCohen on October 15, 2020, 10:48:20 AM
Quote from: Angelo on October 15, 2020, 10:08:35 AM

You keep asking nonsense questions like which people which leads to me think you are not capable of anything close to an intelligent debate. Why don't you conduct an audit.

Here's an article for your world of ignorance and naivety.

https://www.health.com/condition/cold-flu-sinus/parents-dont-take-flu-seriously

The flu kills every year, vaccination or no vaccination. What is the acceptable level of risk? Why don't we go into lockdown every winter over the consequences of seasonal flu? Maybe you are now saying we should? At what cost does the world become consumed by Covid?

You confidently state "people on here ....." It's a logical question to ask you to name one. A question that you can't answer because it exposes your bogus argument

Stop using the flu as something to compare this to in terms of effects, numbers etc. It is such a lazy argument to bring the flu into it. Is is nothing like the flu once and is a nasty nasty repository disease.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/why-covid-19-isnt-the-flu

https://www.facebook.com/publichealthagency/videos/1720107168155944

To tackle this sort of nonsense head on..

A) You have a link from f**king Facebook, that says it all.

The other link has 4 main bullet points:

1.Experts say there are a number of reasons why COVID-19 is a more serious illness than the seasonal flu.

Experts say, experts say a lot of things, experts say a lot of things that contradict each other - the bottom line is these experts tend to be able to agree on very little with Covid - it's a novel virus we are still finding out about

2. They point out there's no vaccine yet for COVID-19 and community-wide immunity hasn't built up.

My that is ground breaking news, what does that tell us about whether Covid is worse than flu in its effect on someone who gets it

3. COVID-19 is also more infectious than the flu and has a higher death rate.

It's a novel virus, all across Europe now we are seeing new cases of Covid surging but fatality rates in line with the first wave dropping in multiples of up to 46 as Belgium is at the minute for instance.

4. COVID-19 also has a higher rate of hospitalizations.

As above, the second wave has been far, far less severe than the first.

It's ok to preach caution but how anyone can conclude such matters on Covid v flu at this point is idiotic, we won't know that for some time at all.

FFS....It wasn't any Facebook post. It was from the Public Health Agency. Not some half baked eejit.

Anyway, f**k it - you win. You are right and we are all wrong if that makes you feel better and the big man who is always right. I've better things to do with my life than spend all day on a forum with someone who twists and argues every minor details in some fucked up way. I'm all for debate and f**k knows I don't always get it right but I know where my moral compass is and that's all I care about. Good luck.

I'm not making any sort of definitive statements. I think it's dangerous to do so on a virus we have very limited knowledge and understanding of.

The data will be the most telling in the next few weeks and how prepared we now are to respond to it.

What is much more quantifiable is the negative impact of lockdowns on the economy, on people's livelihoods, societal impacts and mental health issues associated with it.

Franko

Quote from: Hound on October 15, 2020, 02:30:09 PM

It's staggering!

Logic or reason are a waste of time.  Tried it and failed.

Better to sit back, enjoy the meltdown and be thankful you were born with a functioning brain.