China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Haven't wore a mask and probably won't. Take sanitiser in car, spray gate after visitors, spray bin before and after council have dumped it.
Wipe messages down.
Wipe bank card after transactions. But my hands aren't as raw so I think I've probably eased off

tyssam5

Quote from: Itchy on May 15, 2020, 06:16:04 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 15, 2020, 05:19:57 PM
Leo has finally recommended the wearing of face coverings on busy public transport and in busy enclosed areas such as shops. Out of interest how many on here have worn face coverings while in busy shops?

I haven't and I wont be either. Expert advice up to last week said masks are not advised and now suddenly they are. It's to do with giving people a warm fuzzy sense of security. I'll be visiting shops at quiet times with no mask as that is the safest way to proceed.

That advice in most countries was because people didn't have any masks or none were available. I'm definitely wearing one in a shop. It not just about you, the people who work there have exposure from multiple people every day. Even with a home made mask, if it only 20% effective that's a lot better than nothing.

Smurfy123

The peak is long gone. Wear masks if it makes you feel like it maybe 1% better most definitely
I did say a month or so again that this thing will die down and it has everywhere. Peak for 3/4 weeks then die off. Now if we get more peaks I will hold my hands up and say I was wrong but I don't believe a second peak is anywhere to be seen. We keep hearing about the r number risen in Germany Spain Italy UK. I couldn't care a less if the r number goes to 4 all I'm interested in is the deaths gettting eliminated and the number in icu going to 0.
Numbers in Ireland this week have been very encouraging from where we were at even last week. Keep fighting the good fight and we will win eventually. In 4 weeks we will be out the other side

bennydorano

You know were R=4 ultimately ends up like?

Smurfy123

Not interested in the r rate.
R rate in Germany went up to 1.4 last week deaths and cases went down. Let's see if we see a spike in 3 weeks in Germany because the r rotate had that spike. Let's wait and see

armaghniac

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 15, 2020, 04:59:07 PM
Ill back smurfy on this one. Yer man sikora said it and referenced the ons boyos.
Although past 6 weeks etc have been huge this weeks average is below the weekly average of the past 5yrs tho ive probably said it wrong...

No, it is just plain up.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

quit yo jibbajabba

Sorry cant copy and paste from this sh1t phone but karol sikora 13h ago posted deaths per day had actually fell below the 5yr average and posted link to the research hope we are talking about same thing if not apologies

armaghniac

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 16, 2020, 12:27:19 AM
Sorry cant copy and paste from this sh1t phone but karol sikora 13h ago posted deaths per day had actually fell below the 5yr average and posted link to the research hope we are talking about same thing if not apologies

He did say that, not quite sure how he came to that conclusion. But if he had a point, it was that things had improved by the end of April and that is true. However, England is opening up as other European countries are but the curve is lagging behind these places.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

6th sam

Quote from: armaghniac on May 15, 2020, 08:53:08 PM
Quote from: Itchy on May 15, 2020, 06:16:04 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 15, 2020, 05:19:57 PM
Leo has finally recommended the wearing of face coverings on busy public transport and in busy enclosed areas such as shops. Out of interest how many on here have worn face coverings while in busy shops?

I haven't and I wont be either. Expert advice up to last week said masks are not advised and now suddenly they are. It's to do with giving people a warm fuzzy sense of security. I'll be visiting shops at quiet times with no mask as that is the safest way to proceed.

The safest for whom?

Just to clarify , the reason for encouraging masks is to protect others. If an asympomatic carrier sneezes he will trap a percentage of particles in the mask thereby reducing risk of viral transfer. Encouraging masks in tight places makes perfect sense, but if we all buy loads of disposable masks it could risk supply to those who need it most , therefore the advice on making your own improvised mask. Fair play to those already wearing masks in tight places.

Wildweasel74

Didn't realise you had a medical degree smurfy and know more than the experts and how the R value correspondes to rate of infection 🤔 so it's very important.

Smurfy123

Lets wait and see Wiesel let's just wait and see.
The spike should happen in 3 weeks I have my doubts
The numbers in look at is deaths and ICU
Every number is a person don't forget Wiesel
I have my doubts about this flu.
A seasonal thing. Denmark out of lockdown 5 weeks and cases have went down
Let's hold fire until we see what happens

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 16, 2020, 10:19:13 AM

[Agh. I didn't want to come back in and do this but... and probably little point as the idiots will just go "ah but strawmen everywhere"]

That is because its clearly beyond your comprehension.

Like a toddler walking to the lit fireplace and crying when carried away - the adults in the room simply have to ignore the ignorant opinion of these toddlers - they simply don't know what is best for them.

The rate of infection is dropping only because of the draconian measures taken - I hope something treatment wise comes out of the woodwork ASAP - but folks clamouring for "back to normal" simply don't understand what they are asking for.
Hopefully lockdown can be tweaked so that impact on the economy is minimised (in as much as that is possible) while keeping spread under control. But simply removing all measures and saying "carry on", will only lead to utter disaster in 2 months time.
i usse an speelchekor

Smurfy123

So South Korea with a 55 million didn't shut down but had a great healthcare and plan in place to deal with it?
Maybe you should encourage that we get our house in order to deal with it instead of locking everything down
Explain South Korea with no prior notice that the virus was coming u like us
No Plan
Inept government
No clue what to do

Right let's follow Italy and Spain and close the place down because we have no clue what to do
South Korea

JoG2

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 16, 2020, 12:18:10 PM
Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 16, 2020, 10:19:13 AM

[Agh. I didn't want to come back in and do this but... and probably little point as the idiots will just go "ah but strawmen everywhere"]

That is because its clearly beyond your comprehension.

Like a toddler walking to the lit fireplace and crying when carried away - the adults in the room simply have to ignore the ignorant opinion of these toddlers - they simply don't know what is best for them.

The rate of infection is dropping only because of the draconian measures taken - I hope something treatment wise comes out of the woodwork ASAP - but folks clamouring for "back to normal" simply don't understand what they are asking for.
Hopefully lockdown can be tweaked so that impact on the economy is minimised (in as much as that is possible) while keeping spread under control. But simply removing all measures and saying "carry on", will only lead to utter disaster in 2 months time.

As a family & wider family circle, we have locked down and will continue to do so.

I continue to work as I'm in the health sector. What I have noticed though is the traffic on the roads and retail parks. The first few weeks it was like Christmas day traffic wise everyday. Now its like a normal Monday, Tuesday etc.. Traffic jams were there used to be traffic jams and the like.

Also, housing estates like the Creggan here in Derry City(must be one of the biggest housing estates in Europe) has been flat out with the street parties for weeks. Literally 100s and 100s out drinking on the streets, mingling, hugging, music provided etc. There's plenty of 3 generational families living in this estate to boot.
Now, during all this time (take the last 4 weeks), the ICU ward in Altnagelvin has topped out at 2 patients.

Smurfy123

Well said JoG2. And as I matter of fact I have also followed lockdown but I won't lie I'm struggling now
The Georgia state in America who opened up 3 weeks ago has seen new cases now drop. And even I was saying it was madness to open up at the time. They were the first state in America to open and got widespread criticism for it but no word now when cases all down. Time will time