China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: thewobbler on May 05, 2020, 04:51:24 PMI'm merely pointing out here that the Y2K bug cost billions, fixing a problem that did not exist, because of a blind faith in science.

You have proof that the problem did not exist as opposed to the potential problems being fixed as a result of the money spent on them?
i usse an speelchekor

five points

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 05, 2020, 05:04:00 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 05, 2020, 04:45:29 PMI would also expect the governments now regret closing schools.

Absolutely not.

1 family contracts virus.

Their kid goes into school.

30 kids contract virus.

30 families contract virus.

The siblings of those 30 families go into school.

30^x kids contract virus

30^x families contract virus

Health service overwhelmed.

All the evidence from the outset though was that the virus doesn't affect children. It's since been shown that they don't even carry it.

Smurfy123

Have you got the proof that would have happened radio?
Or is that the scientists saying that

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: five points on May 05, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
All the evidence from the outset though was that the virus doesn't affect children. It's since been shown that they don't even carry it.

WTF.

They do get it, they do carry it. Kids have died from it.

A higher proportion of them will have mild symptoms compared to adults, but that does not stop them carrying and spreading it.
i usse an speelchekor

thewobbler

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 05, 2020, 05:05:08 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 05, 2020, 04:51:24 PMI'm merely pointing out here that the Y2K bug cost billions, fixing a problem that did not exist, because of a blind faith in science.

You have proof that the problem did not exist as opposed to the potential problems being fixed as a result of the money spent on them?

Italy and South Korea provided that "proof".

PadraicHenryPearse

anyone reminded of "science is a bitch" from its always sunny after reading the last few pages...

fair play to those responding to thewobbler et al.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 05, 2020, 05:06:49 PM
Have you got the proof that would have happened radio?
Or is that the scientists saying that

Scientists saying what?

That if the year counter is two digits only, i.e. "99", it won't hit a problem when it gets to "00"?

I was recently working on an aircraft engine-airframe software problem kinda pertinent to this where time updates were intermittently spiking - the code was essentially set up to follow "if newTime > oldTime: updateTime & set oldTime = newTime". Solved by setting a tolerance on the difference between oldTime & newTime - which was not my preferred solution but anywayz

Now, an aircraft is flying 31st December 1999 at 23:59 and the clock ticks over.

What happens the above?

[We weren't using datestamps, but instead timestamps since epoch, so it would have been OK for us - but many other software stacks would have been vulnerable.]
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: thewobbler on May 05, 2020, 05:07:45 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 05, 2020, 05:05:08 PM

Italy and South Korea provided that "proof".

Of the Y2K bug? Please provide a link to enlighten me.

Or are you talking about COVID?
i usse an speelchekor

ONeill

Brits still trying to justify their death rate standing in Europe as not too bad.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: ONeill on May 05, 2020, 05:31:37 PM
Brits still trying to justify their death rate standing in Europe as not too bad.

They've got it so horribly wrong.
i usse an speelchekor

ONeill

Fella from the Daily Mail there at the press briefing asking about obesity and whether people should think about going on diets. Top class.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Smurfy123

Dominic Raab stands up at the press briefings talking as if they have done a great job
They hit the target off one hundred thousand tests on Friday and haven't hit that target again? Why are they not getting ripped to shreds in the press.

imtommygunn

They didn't even hit it. About 19k of them were in the post.

The press are a joke. The british government should be getting torn apart. A few are starting to do this abroad - ny times and there's a big aussie paper too.

The press are in the governments, or someone's, back pocket.

J70

Quote from: hardstation on May 05, 2020, 05:44:05 PM
Quote from: five points on May 05, 2020, 05:05:53 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 05, 2020, 05:04:00 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on May 05, 2020, 04:45:29 PMI would also expect the governments now regret closing schools.

Absolutely not.

1 family contracts virus.

Their kid goes into school.

30 kids contract virus.

30 families contract virus.

The siblings of those 30 families go into school.

30^x kids contract virus

30^x families contract virus

Health service overwhelmed.

Children don't carry it?

Not sure where he is getting his info from, but there have been documented deaths among children in the US, while various countries are now seeing kids with an inflammatory syndrome called Kawasaki Disease which they think is probably linked to COVID. 15 cases in NYC.