China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 05, 2020, 01:09:20 PM
Yes pay them. Give them extra whatever it takes.
Look at the money they have spent locking everyone down. It would have been a fraction of the cost to pay the over 60s.
For how long, If takes 2-3 years to develop a vaccine and make it generally available should they be locked down until then?

charlieTully

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 05, 2020, 12:33:08 PM
Radio how do you know lockdown saved life's? Are you listening to all the bullshitters at these press briefings? They have got everything wrong.
Now the first place that should have been on lockdown was carehomes. Nobody in nobody out.
Radio what's with the abuse calm down it's a discussion board

No one in or out of care homes? For the length of the lock down? Nurses care assistants, cooks, admin staff etc etc, in every care home don't get to leave for the entirety of a lock down. What about their own children? I don't think you have thought that one out Smurph.

LeoMc

Quote from: thewobbler on May 05, 2020, 01:10:50 PM
No Leo, scientists are not one great homogenous body.

Nor are governments.

Nor are media.

But the groupings are easily understood, and as such save typing out dozens of words to achieve the same end meaning, unless of course you come across someone petty..

So when you say scientists were exceptionally quick and forceful to try to convince us that a virus they still do not understand was a global destroyer you don't mean all scientists and when you say people will lose faith in scientists you don't mean all people and you don't mean all scientists.

Would a statement of some scientists overreacted and some people will stop listening to those scientists as a result be more accurate?
Equally some politicians under reacted and some people will stop listening to all Scientists as a result.

larryin89

I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank Radiogaagaa , your input  and knowledge here is remarkable , I come to this thread daily  to read your posts .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Square Ball

Can someone please explain who the yanks are borrowing the 3 trillion dollars from?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

thewobbler

Radio we are very much in TLDR territory now, so I'll leave you for today with my own.

To date, Covid is a virus that:

Kills men more easily than women, except it doesn't.

Finishes off smokers in record time. Unless that smoker happens to be French, in which case the virus runs away from his nicotine infested body.

Doesn't affect children, except it does, or only very little, maybe not enough to worry about.

Gets killed by heat / the sun, except it doesn't. Or maybe it does.

Can convince medical professionals across the world to accurately record the cause of death as it, even when it's not it, or not it, even if it is it.

Doesn't affect Swedish people in the same way because Swedish people are all decent, law-abiding, community conscious sorts who naturally will distance because they're asked to. Covid has been with us that long now that he/she loves a good stereotype too.

Respects the fact that Germans, even in major cities with rampant depravity and poverty, and borders absolutely everywhere across Europe, are ultra-conscientious and will do exactly what they're told. And will of course turn a blind eye to the possibility that the practical Germans could just see it sensible to go back to work as soon as possible, and bend data to suit their needs.

Has a particular dislike for anyone who has a tactile disposition. Which actually only means Italians. No other nationality hugs, kisses, or holds hands.

Can live dormant in you for 10 days. No, a fortnight. Maybe even 3 weeks. Maybe even forever.

You will regret getting; it reduces you to a crumbling, sweating shell. Unless you're one of those who had it and didn't know.

You can become immune to after contracting. Oh no actually, you won't . Or maybe you will. Won't. Will. Won't. Will.

Has a particular dislike for BAME folk. Oh no it doesn't, it's just following genera health patterns there.

Will make mincemeat out of populations in smoggy towns. Except it hasn't really done this either, apart from in Italy. Those damn tactile Italians.

Like the bad guy in the thriller movie, will not really be dead, until you kill it twice.  Don't turn your back folks.

Has been living among us for quite some time. But has only recently worked out that it can kill.

You can write exponential in fifty foot high letters for all I care. We've been fed so many theories and lies about Covid at this stage, but you still remain unbreakable on your lockdown stance, unshakable in your conviction that this mystery could have been solved if we had have trusted science immediately. The one constant in an ever changing environment.

armaghniac

Quote from: thewobbler on May 05, 2020, 02:37:57 PM
Radio we are very much in TLDR territory now, so I'll leave you for today with my own.

Kills men more easily than women, except it doesn't.

Finishes off smokers in record time. Unless that smoker happens to be French, in which case the virus runs away from his nicotine infested body.

Doesn't affect children, except it does, or only very little, maybe not enough to worry about.

Gets killed by heat / the sun, except it doesn't. Or maybe it does.

Can convince medical professionals across the world to accurately record the cause of death as it, even when it's not it, or not it, even if it is it.

Doesn't affect Swedish people in the same way because Swedish people are all decent, law-abiding, community conscious sorts who naturally will distance because they're asked to. Covid has been with us that long now that he/she loves a good stereotype too.

Respects the fact that Germans, even in major cities with rampant depravity and poverty, and borders absolutely everywhere across Europe, are ultra-conscientious and will do exactly what they're told. And will of course turn a blind eye to the possibility that the practical Germans could just see it sensible to go back to work as soon as possible, and bend data to suit their needs.

Has a particular dislike for anyone who has a tactile disposition. Which actually only means Italians. No other nationality hugs, kisses, or holds hands.

Can live dormant in you for 10 days. No, a fortnight. Maybe even 3 weeks. Maybe even forever.

You will regret getting; it reduces you to a crumbling, sweating shell. Unless you're one of those who had it and didn't know.

You can become immune to after contracting. Oh no actually, you won't . Or maybe you will. Won't. Will. Won't. Will.

Has a particular dislike for BAME folk. Oh no it doesn't, it's just following genera health patterns there.

Will make mincemeat out of populations in smoggy towns. Except it hasn't really done this either, apart from in Italy. Those damn tactile Italians.

Like the bad guy in the thriller movie, will not really be dead, until you kill it twice.  Don't turn your back folks.

Has been living among us for quite some time. But has only recently worked out that it can kill.

You can write exponential in fifty foot high letters for all I care. We've been fed so many theories and lies about Covid at this stage, but you still remain unbreakable on your lockdown stance, unshakable in your conviction that this mystery could have been solved if we had have trusted science immediately. The one constant in an ever changing environment.

We are truly in Trump territory here, there are relatively subtle issues which affect this pandemic but you want everything put into an impossible black and white. In GAA terms you could have statements like big men are better than small men, which are essentially true and useful although there may be counterexamples.

Perhaps the problem is not science, but that some people are unable to understand it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RadioGAAGAA

You can write exponential in fifty foot high letters for all I care. We've been fed so many theories and lies about Covid at this stage,

You've read all that shite in the media. Sure they are even more fuckin clueless about this than their usual.

If I asked you to produce a peer reviewed paper stating any one of the above - we'd no doubt find it caveated to hell and back.

The media have done the public a major disservice throughout this. Both in their failure to hold the government's feet to the fire and in their failure to get competent people to report on the matter.

but you still remain unbreakable on your lockdown stance,

I want lockdown over ASAP. I'm looking at personal financial armageddon by the start of Autumn.

But it can't lift until there is the structures and mechanisms in place to prevent it exploding up into a bigger 2nd wave.

If I had to choose between losing the house and thousands dead - its only money and I'll get on my feet eventually.

unshakable in your conviction that this mystery could have been solved if we had have trusted science immediately. The one constant in an ever changing environment.

You speak as if there is a definitive solution to this that comes without pain and hardship.

SARS or MERS in comparison were eradicated quickly through luck and/or good work - but I'm sure if you asked any of the families of those that died they might disagree with it being "solved" without suffering.

Furthermore, I already said earlier that if we all waited until reaching definitive conclusions - the pandemic would have swept through and done its damage already. Good people are making the best informed decisions they can given the information available - and there will be occasions they get it wrong* - but its far better than the alternative.

*especially if they are bending to politics

Perhaps you need to ask yourself - "why has a virus that has a fatality rate of 4.2% in Germany** not devastating the world like the Spanish flu did?" Then perhaps you need to look at all the things happening, from even lowly disinfectant, informed advice that is available via TV, radio or phone, to antibody tests, NAAT tests, drugs & ventilators, then wonder... "what has science done for us lately?"

**using Germany as they have a high testing rate so more likely a more reflective mortality rate.
i usse an speelchekor

thewobbler

Armaghniac, I'm mystified that you're trying to drop the "you want everything in black and white" hammer on me, when fundamentally what I'm doing is challenging science to be reflective and honest in what has happened to date.

But I guess it's largely explained by your other comment. It's an exceptionally common trait in those who blindly follow science, to decry the intelligence of those who don't.

Enjoy your superior knowledge kid.

J70

I'm just mystified as to what you scientist-skeptics think SHOULD have happened.

dec

Quote from: Square Ball on May 05, 2020, 02:36:18 PM
Can someone please explain who the yanks are borrowing the 3 trillion dollars from?

Their children and grandchildren.

armaghniac

Quote from: thewobbler on May 05, 2020, 03:09:29 PM
Armaghniac, I'm mystified that you're trying to drop the "you want everything in black and white" hammer on me, when fundamentally what I'm doing is challenging science to be reflective and honest in what has happened to date.

But I guess it's largely explained by your other comment. It's an exceptionally common trait in those who blindly follow science, to decry the intelligence of those who don't.

Enjoy your superior knowledge kid.

I don't blindly follow science. But for instance you said
QuoteGets killed by heat / the sun, except it doesn't. Or maybe it does.

any research I have seen shows that Covid19 is adversely affected by heat and sun, but not enough to stop it. Why did you pose a question about it?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Square Ball on May 05, 2020, 02:36:18 PM

Best not to look under that rock.

Rossfan

I think Karen from facebook knows more about viruses, pandemics etc than Wobbler.
As for Smurf and Trailer....
They make Trump sound knowledgeable.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thewobbler

Quote from: J70 on May 05, 2020, 03:17:15 PM
I'm just mystified as to what you scientist-skeptics think SHOULD have happened.

Look these things are much easier with hindsight than foresight, but I'd think that this would have achieved similar outcomes, but with less potential for economic destruction:

- keeping schools and universities open.
- enforced, paid furlough for those aged 55+ and those with respiratory issues, only.
- enforced quarantine/house arrest for those aged 70+, or with any substantial medical condition, only.
- blanket quarantine of care homes.

Along with social distancing, and significantly reduced trading conditions for bars, cafes, restaurants, hotels.