China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 01, 2020, 10:08:25 AM
It has been confirmed that almost 50% of deaths in Northern Ireland have been in care homes. Surely with all the information coming out from Italy etc before it hit here that the elderly would be the worst affected and care homes would need to really be looked after first. Poor poor governance again.
The WHO have now applauded Sweden's no lockdown strategy
Schools return will rise the r rate from 0.6 to 0.7
But it's all ok because we all clapped last night
Michelle Arlene and the rest getting the videos up on social media clapping at 8
Keep up the clapping it's really helping
I seen on UTV live around 100 people clapping out and around a care home with the elderly outside
Photographers and Cameramen all over the place
Am I missing something here

Are care home owners getting away with alot here in terms of not providing their staff with PPE?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on May 01, 2020, 10:28:39 AM
It has been confirmed that almost 50% of deaths in Northern Ireland have been in care homes. Surely with all the information coming out from Italy etc before it hit here that the elderly would be the worst affected and care homes would need to really be looked after first. Poor poor governance again.
Michelle Arlene and the rest getting the videos up on social media clapping at 8
I seen on UTV live around 100 people clapping out and around a care home with the elderly outside

Are care home owners getting away with alot here in terms of not providing their staff with PPE?

In years to come you might see some kind of legal action going their way alright, I could see them being a very easy target when the dust settles.

thewobbler

I'd value some common sense here. I really would.

I'm sure we will have a very expensive public enquiry about this in future, which will ultimately determine that if the purpose of a care home is to make the final years of life more bearable for less-abled pensioners, then a virus that is especially lethal for less-abled people in their final years of life, will always have its wicked way in such places, no matter what measures you take.

Waste of money enquiry.

armaghniac

Maybe., some were penny pinching. But when the government ordered all PPE to be directed to hospitals in some cases they prohibited suppliers from selling stuff to homes. Likewise in some cases they recruited nurses from homes back into the health service.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RadioGAAGAA

Dunno if your missing something, but I'm definitely missing two citations.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 01, 2020, 10:33:25 AM

In years to come you might see some kind of legal action going their way alright, I could see them being a very easy target when the dust settles.

In which case the government are even more culpable to being sued.

They deliberately forced through a designation change for COVID-19 so that they could get away with less stringent PPE requirements.

100+ dead healthcare workers and counting... I'd say they are wide open to a massive compensation claim from all families affected. Hancock offers £60k? Might wanna stick two zeroes on the end of that.
i usse an speelchekor

thewobbler

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 01, 2020, 10:41:11 AM

They deliberately forced through a designation change for COVID-19 so that they could get away with less stringent PPE requirements.

100+ dead healthcare workers and counting... I'd say they are wide open to a massive compensation claim from all families affected. Hancock offers £60k? Might wanna stick two zeroes on the end of that.

The government won't be sued.

The absolutely unnecessary public enquiry into care homes during this time, will determine nobody to blame.

Nobody will win.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: thewobbler on May 01, 2020, 10:47:24 AM

The absolutely unnecessary public enquiry into care homes during this time, will determine nobody to blame.

Nobody will win.

I'm envisaging a civil action outside a public enquiry - which as you say - are just a monumental waste of money.

We've seen enough of them here over the years to know they are a washout.
i usse an speelchekor

thewobbler

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 01, 2020, 10:50:27 AM

Nobody will win.

I'm envisaging a civil action outside a public enquiry - which as you say - are just a monumental waste of money.

We've seen enough of them here over the years to know they are a washout.

But for a civil action to stand a chance then they would need evidence that if government / care home owners had operated differently, then these people would have lived longer.

Such evidence would have to be modelled against the spread of the virus in the country / region ie comparing NZ's care home approach would make no sense, as the spread was more tightly contained across the country.

I just can't see how anyone will be able to pull together the evidence to make that case.

And if I'm being honest, it's no bad thing. Sometimes there isn't actually anyone to blame. It's just life.

Maroon Manc

Are the schools open in Sweden?

delgany

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 01, 2020, 09:40:45 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 01, 2020, 09:36:14 AM
Quote from: delgany on May 01, 2020, 09:33:23 AM
The UK ran a flu pandemic full scale training exercise in 2016. The results were never published due to the severity of the outcome. PPE  stocks were allowed to slide by 40 % in the past two years due to funding cuts .

So possibly 3 and a half years ago the findings showed that they were inept and did nothing to fix it?

They never were going to, realistically - every Govt. operates on the basis that disaster won't happen to them....unfortunately on this occasion it did.

Exercise cygnus

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 01, 2020, 10:57:30 AM
Are the schools open in Sweden?

Yes, work with a few people over there. Pretty much everything is normal but they are given the social distancing education, over 70s are encouraged to keep themselves inside.

Bars / Restaurants open with restricted numbers, that kind of thing.

trailer

Our own local government not beyond fault either. 3 years of no gov has left NHS locally vastly under prepared, coupled with lack of Nursing staff due to poor pay and conditions (Poots and O'Neill oversaw those cuts). Followed up by complete incompetence, blindly following Britain and McBride the CMO here. Lack of testing. Lack of leadership.
But as is the NI way we will reward and promote this incompetence then moan about the DUP or SF rather than taking responsibility and changing our vote.

JohnDenver

Quote from: trailer on May 01, 2020, 11:13:02 AM
Our own local government not beyond fault either. 3 years of no gov has left NHS locally vastly under prepared, coupled with lack of Nursing staff due to poor pay and conditions (Poots and O'Neill oversaw those cuts). Followed up by complete incompetence, blindly following Britain and McBride the CMO here. Lack of testing. Lack of leadership.
But as is the NI way we will reward and promote this incompetence then moan about the DUP or SF rather than taking responsibility and changing our vote.

I assume you very much supported Michelle O'Neill and other Sinn Féin minisiters when they questioned and disagreed with the blind following of the Tory government and "medical science" at the very beginning of this process? 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on May 01, 2020, 10:41:11 AM

Nobody will win.

Solicitors up and down the country will beg to differ on that point ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea