China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: Main Street on April 27, 2020, 04:38:21 PM
Is it time step up the precautions and restrict border crossings? 7 of the 8 counties in the south with the highest ration of infections are border counties.  Isn't it  time for Nordies to respect the rules  just as regular Irish people are obliged to, put an end to the special dispensations for cross border Nordies and apply the 2km restriction, unless there's a bona fide reason to travel further. 
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/covid-19-cases-in-cavan-exceed-dublin-as-incidence-in-border-counties-rising-fast-1.4238907

The HSE have a lot more data about who has the virus and how they got it. Without that detail speculation is difficult.

Quote from: five points on April 27, 2020, 04:46:48 PM
How can you apply a 2km restriction on someone who doesn't live here?

Just state that someone can go 2Km from there house wherever it is or go to the shop just like people in the ROI. Partitionism at a time like this is sick.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GetOverTheBar

Is it time step up the precautions and restrict border crossings? 7 of the 8 counties in the south with the highest ration of infections are border counties.  Isn't it  time for Nordies to respect the rules  just as regular Irish people are obliged to, put an end to the special dispensations for cross border Nordies and apply the 2km restriction, unless there's a bona fide reason to travel further. 
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/covid-19-cases-in-cavan-exceed-dublin-as-incidence-in-border-counties-rising-fast-1.4238907

I can travel about 200 metres and be in Monaghan. So you are saying I shouldn't bother going to my local shop.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: LCohen on April 27, 2020, 04:53:05 PM

Far more likely to be a hand washing issue in them border counties

The annual bath just doesn't cut it.  ;D
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: trailer on April 27, 2020, 12:56:28 PM
It'll be very interesting to see how all this effects our civil liberties. Is this the new normal we want? The issues around privacy are huge.

The population are actually welcoming huge restrictions on our everyday lives. Huge intrusion. Being told what we can do and when we can do it. Some of the population even think they are part of the East German Stasi reporting their neighbours. There's a huge study here that would be interesting to read.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52441428

I have to admit, I'm not entirely comfortable with this:

QuoteExperts from GCHQ's National Cyber Security Centre have aided the effort.

NCSC indicated that its involvement has been limited to an advisory role.

"We advise you to use these lines of code" (which we know how to break into)

QuoteLike the authorities in many other countries, NHSX has opted to use wireless Bluetooth transmissions to keep track of each qualifying meeting, and has said that the alerts will be sent anonymously, so that users do not know who triggered them.

It has opted for a "centralised model" to achieve this - meaning that the matching process, which works out which phones to send alerts to - happens on a computer server.

This contrasts with Apple and Google's "decentralised" approach - where the matches take place on users' handsets.

The tech giants believe their effort provides more privacy, as it limits the ability of either the authorities or a hacker to use the computer server logs to track specific individuals and identify their social interactions.

But NHSX believes a centralised system will give it more insight into Covid-19's spread, and therefore how to evolve the app accordingly.

"One of the advantages is that it's easier to audit the system and adapt it more quickly as scientific evidence accumulates," Prof Christophe Fraser, one of the epidemiologists advising NHSX, told the BBC.

"The principal aim is to give notifications to people who are most at risk of having got infected, and not to people who are much lower risk.

"It's probably easier to do that with a centralised system."

It wouldn't be hard to achieve the main benefit* of the centralised system by having a decentralised system upload (i)all pertinent contacts, (ii)timestamps of those contacts & (iii)locations of those contacts when that handset user tests positive for COVID.

*that spread can be more quickly mapped by the NHS and provides higher fidelity data for tuning the social distancing measures.

Furthermore, the reasoning of Fraser doesn't stack up... the bit I've bolded is bullshit.

Anyone in contact needs to get tested as they could be an asymptotic carrier to others who are high risk. Smacks of more half-arsed approaches where they are subconsciously accepting they won't have testing capacity to do it right.

and I don't see why they are going their own way at all.

QuoteThe US company does not oppose the NHSX's own effort - and has supported the British team - but still believes its own solution is much more power-efficient.

The UK's solution involves waking up the app in the background every time the phone detects another device running the same software.

It then executes some code before returning to a dormant state. This all happens at speed, but there is still an energy impact.

By contrast, Apple's own solution allows the matching to be done without the app having to wake up at all.

And because the handshakes take even less time to execute, there should be much less toll on battery life.
i usse an speelchekor

Cunny Funt

18 new deaths (1 of them probable) from Covid-19 brings the ROI total to 1,102. A further 386 cases means there are now 19,648 confirmed cases of the coronavirus in ROI.

trailer

Chris Witty the UKs CMO doesn't come across as credible. Unable to answer basic questions. Was to slow to act and now presiding over a death total of 21k. One of highest in the world.

armaghniac

Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 27, 2020, 05:59:26 PM
18 new deaths (1 of them probable) from Covid-19 brings the ROI total to 1,102. A further 386 cases means there are now 19,648 confirmed cases of the coronavirus in ROI.

that would be going in the right direction,  if it didn't just represent a lull over Sunday.

Main Street

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on April 27, 2020, 05:05:56 PM

I can travel about 200 metres and be in Monaghan. So you are saying I shouldn't bother going to my local shop.
Is your local shop within a 2km distance from the border? If the answer is yes, then you would be following local regulations, proceed and shop.

Main Street

Quote from: armaghniac on April 27, 2020, 05:05:25 PM

The HSE have a lot more data about who has the virus and how they got it. Without that detail speculation is difficult.

Quote from: five points on April 27, 2020, 04:46:48 PM
How can you apply a 2km restriction on someone who doesn't live here?

Just state that someone can go 2Km from there house wherever it is or go to the shop just like people in the ROI. Partitionism at a time like this is sick.
Partitionism  ;D  what a dimwit.
The same restrictions that apply to all in the south should apply to all people who cross the border, who enter the country by plane or ship.

armaghniac

The 2km is only for exercise, there might not be a shop within 2Km.

Main Street

Quote from: hardstation on April 27, 2020, 07:09:24 PM
I thought the 2km thing was only for exercise?
Stay at home, unless there is a reasonable excuse, and i suppose it stands  that a reasonable excuse  - an  esssential  retail excursion can be a varying distance.

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: trailer on April 27, 2020, 06:03:08 PM
Chris Witty the UKs CMO doesn't come across as credible. Unable to answer basic questions. Was to slow to act and now presiding over a death total of 21k. One of highest in the world.

Whitty and Vallance do both look ruined. Either through incompetence or feebleness, they failed to impress the severity of the situation on those in power during those crucial weeks in February and March. Now they have to eat it and hope the public never catch on, just like the rest of the talking heads sent out everyday. The really weird thing is that they all seem to be pulling it off.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: hardstation on April 27, 2020, 07:29:44 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 27, 2020, 07:27:32 PM
Quote from: hardstation on April 27, 2020, 07:09:24 PM
I thought the 2km thing was only for exercise?
Stay at home, unless there is a reasonable excuse, and i suppose it stands  that a reasonable excuse  - an  esssential  retail excursion can be a varying distance.
Why, then, did you tell him he was allowed to go to his local shop if it was "within 2km of the border"? That's not correct.

If I've got it right, it's because I live in the North and I would be travelling into the South....infecting the border counties. Sorry lads.

trailer

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on April 27, 2020, 07:32:59 PM
Quote from: trailer on April 27, 2020, 06:03:08 PM

Whitty and Vallance do both look ruined. Either through incompetence or feebleness, they failed to impress the severity of the situation on those in power during those crucial weeks in February and March. Now they have to eat it and hope the public never catch on, just like the rest of the talking heads sent out everyday. The really weird thing is that they all seem to be pulling it off.

Whitty especially is a complete bluffer and promoted far beyond his ability. As seems to be the case with McBride in NI and the Scottish CMO who had to resign. She was originally from NI I believe. McBride wasn't able to advise to close schools in NI even though they were closing them in the ROI.

Milltown Row2

That would suit you in the long run

Fermanagh has the least amount I think, border county that it is hopefully it'll keep out those infected in the south
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea