China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser soze

Quote from: MayoBuck on March 19, 2020, 12:45:41 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 19, 2020, 12:22:19 PM
Quote from: marty34 on March 19, 2020, 12:15:43 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 19, 2020, 11:54:28 AM
A lot of it is the doom and gloom merchants!

Everyone and their dog knows it's tough not getting better soon and so on!

Can you imagine growing up in Africa? Let's put it this way we've got it easy

I wonder will Africa be badly affected by Covid 19?

At the moment looks (relatively) fine. I would imagine that's due to the lack of inward travel, dense infrastructure, public transport, atms and that type of thing. Morocco, Egypt and South Africa look to have got the majority of what has hit and they would be some of the more developed African nations.

That said, considering some of the conditions/disease that is rife in Africa, this is probably something they aren't getting too worried about.

Also, this virus is especially harmful to the elderly and in less developed African countries there is a very low percentage of people over 60

I know I shouldn't but this made me laugh. 

Itchy

Attended a family funeral this morning. No funeral home, no visitors, no hand shaking, 15 people in the church, 15 people at the grave. Tissues, sanitisers, gloves everywhere. No after drinks or meal. Family now all sitting in their own houses on their own wondering what to do with themselves. Just a very sad and bizarre occasion.

RedHand88

The Imperial college paper is a grim read  :(

trailer

We must prepare for the fight of our lives. Godspeed everyone.

APM

Quote from: Itchy on March 19, 2020, 02:04:32 PM
Attended a family funeral this morning. No funeral home, no visitors, no hand shaking, 15 people in the church, 15 people at the grave. Tissues, sanitisers, gloves everywhere. No after drinks or meal. Family now all sitting in their own houses on their own wondering what to do with themselves. Just a very sad and bizarre occasion.

Sorry to hear that,
I have to say that when I heard of how funerals were being handled in Italy and the associated risks, it was something I thought would sorely impact upon grieving relatives during this crisis whether their bereavement was due to Coronavirus or not.  The Irish way of marking death provides a great source of comfort and the temporary loss of those customs is particularly cruel (albeit necessary) at a time when such traditions would be relied upon more than ever. 

Rossfan

You could put up with all the stuff but not having a proper funeral is a terrible situation.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

imtommygunn

What happens in the scenario where someone does die from it? Are the family even allowed near them? The funeral unrelated to the virus is a bad situation but I don't even know the logistics of the death or the funeral of someone who dies from it. It can't be good.

In fact I really don't even want to think about it :(

five points

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 19, 2020, 03:40:16 PM
What happens in the scenario where someone does die from it? Are the family even allowed near them? The funeral unrelated to the virus is a bad situation but I don't even know the logistics of the death or the funeral of someone who dies from it. It can't be good.

As i understand it...
Closed coffin containing bodybag.
Private funeral.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Rossfan on March 19, 2020, 03:34:50 PM
You could put up with all the stuff but not having a proper funeral is a terrible situation.
Do you think funerals are done right here? I think they should be restricted to family and very close friends. At least the nonsense of sitting around for hours shaking hands with loads of people you don't know or rarely talk too and worse of all politicians showing up saying they are sorry for your loss is cut out now.

seafoid

China needs low new infection rates to look credible.

The UK had 71 deaths yesterday. CMO said 55000 true cases. Ratio.is c 1: 800

China has 3245 deaths. Multiply by 800 = 2.6 m

Official cases 81,000 or so

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on March 19, 2020, 03:59:30 PM

China has 3245 deaths. Multiply by 800 = 2.6 m

Official cases 81,000 or so

I don't know where you are getting this from. Few people believe the fatality rate is as low as 0.125%, most suggest 3 or 4 times that.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

David McKeown

Quote from: five points on March 19, 2020, 03:46:04 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 19, 2020, 03:40:16 PM

As i understand it...
Closed coffin containing bodybag.
Private funeral.

Really I had understood the virus couldn't survive the death of the host for lack of a better term and therefore provided there was a closed coffin then the only bar to a normal funeral was social distancing rules and any self isolation that has to occur because of contact between the family members and the deceased whilst they were alive.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: seafoid on March 19, 2020, 03:59:30 PM

Best to stop apply blanket numbers across the board and assuming everything else is equal.

As of 9th March, estimates were that China carried out ~2800 tests per million people. The UK? Less than 350 per million.

So which country do you think is likely to have the highest ratio of unknown cases?
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: David McKeown on March 19, 2020, 04:13:24 PM
Really I had understood the virus couldn't survive the death of the host for lack of a better term and therefore provided there was a closed coffin then the only bar to a normal funeral was social distancing rules and any self isolation that has to occur because of contact between the family members and the deceased whilst they were alive.

It'd survive in a dead human body for a time, just as it would survive on a door handle or coat.

Yeah - it will die - but not immediately.
i usse an speelchekor

Rossfan

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 19, 2020, 03:49:16 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 19, 2020, 03:34:50 PM
Do you think funerals are done right here?

Absolutely.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM