China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: marty34 on March 15, 2020, 07:28:00 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on March 15, 2020, 07:18:55 PM
Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on March 15, 2020, 07:00:10 PM
Scary figures alright. Searchin online for some reason behind it eg large % of smokers, elderly population, elderly living with their adult children and so on. Anyone any positive spin on this from an Ireland perspective...

We're an island fairly self sufficent so its alot harder to get here on a large scale compared with mainland europe. Also we are shutting down now rather than China, Italy when at its worst. Only way to stop this is for people to stay home so the virus can't transfer and hopefully dies out, which in fairness is what we are doing

Good question Dublin7 - does this virus just 'die out' or what happens to it? Do people get just immune  from it?

The infected don't shed the virus forever. The hope would be to ride it out, with as few as possible passing it on, until it stops spreading like crazy.

Obviously complacency can impede that, as well as the fact that supposedly people are at their most contagious early in the cycle, even before symptom, if any, peak.

larryin89

The figures don't add up, people in the public eye , there have been a massive disproportionate amount when you take in the infected per million of population. Not saying they are feeding us lies , it's just so many are untested
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 15, 2020, 07:27:30 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 15, 2020, 07:24:11 PM
Scary figures alright. Searchin online for some reason behind it eg large % of smokers, elderly population, elderly living with their adult children and so on. Anyone any positive spin on this from an Ireland perspective...
There is an infographic in one of today's papers with a breakdown of the underlying conditions. As known/expected; cardiovascular disease, hypertension and respiratory disease accounted for a lot of the deaths, but a significant percentage had diabetes. I haven't seen the latest age breakdown in Italy as it's moving so fast but a few days ago when the total was 803 only 2 of those were under the age of 50.

The two under 50, had they underlying conditions?

From various reports I've read from Italy the most shocking thing for me has been that it is not all older people and people with underlying medical issues. There is a significant amount of younger people in ICU units. Don't be under the illusion this is solely limited to older people and those with pre-existing conditions. While they are the most at risk they are definitely not the only ones at risk.

macdanger2

Quote from: J70 on March 15, 2020, 07:48:09 PM
Quote from: marty34 on March 15, 2020, 07:28:00 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on March 15, 2020, 07:18:55 PM

We're an island fairly self sufficent so its alot harder to get here on a large scale compared with mainland europe. Also we are shutting down now rather than China, Italy when at its worst. Only way to stop this is for people to stay home so the virus can't transfer and hopefully dies out, which in fairness is what we are doing

Good question Dublin7 - does this virus just 'die out' or what happens to it? Do people get just immune  from it?

The infected don't shed the virus forever. The hope would be to ride it out, with as few as possible passing it on, until it stops spreading like crazy.

Obviously complacency can impede that, as well as the fact that supposedly people are at their most contagious early in the cycle, even before symptom, if any, peak.

I doubt that this will die out without the help of a vaccine. Whether it becomes a seasonal thing like flu or not remains to be seen.

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0315/1123356-coronavirus-ireland/

Simon Coveney has said that the Spanish Government has committed to keeping its airports open until midnight on Thursday and will facilitate flights coming from Ireland to take holidaymakers home.

Speaking on the Six One, Mr Coveney said that there were between 20,000 and 25,000 Irish people currently in the Canaries, on the Balearic Islands and in mainland Spain.

The Tánaiste directly addressed those abroad and told them to plan to come home before midnight on Thursday "regardless of how long your holiday was supposed to be".

Saffrongael

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on March 15, 2020, 07:56:28 PM
There is an infographic in one of today's papers with a breakdown of the underlying conditions. As known/expected; cardiovascular disease, hypertension and respiratory disease accounted for a lot of the deaths, but a significant percentage had diabetes. I haven't seen the latest age breakdown in Italy as it's moving so fast but a few days ago when the total was 803 only 2 of those were under the age of 50.

From various reports I've read from Italy the most shocking thing for me has been that it is not all older people and people with underlying medical issues. There is a significant amount of younger people in ICU units. Don't be under the illusion this is solely limited to older people and those with pre-existing conditions. While they are the most at risk they are definitely not the only ones at risk.

Saw something earlier that as of Friday only two of the fatalities in Italy did not have underlying health conditions
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Milltown Row2

Watched a good few episodes of Pandemic, if the flu and this happens at same time we are fucked
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

J70

Quote from: Saffrongael on March 15, 2020, 08:06:07 PM

Saw something earlier that as of Friday only two of the fatalities in Italy did not have underlying health conditions

In this age of crap diets and obesity, there are a fair few going about who don't even know they have underlying conditions, whether its narrowing arteries or whatever.

Tony Baloney

Let's see some of these reports.

rodney trotter

Tancredi Palmeri Italian football journalist gives a good update on Twitter of the daily crisis in Italy
@Tancredi Palmeri

Eamonnca1

This is going to be a shit-show in the US where the government doesn't believe in public health and thinks the private sector is good enough to take care of everything. We are about to face a reckoning, and the USA is about to pay the ultimate price for Reagan's "government is the problem" ideology and the sinister market-fundamentalist cult that it evolved into and took over the minds of nearly half the country.

The CDC is predicting between 200,000 and 1.7 million deaths in the USA. I suspect it will be closer to the higher end than the lower end.

bannside

ROI going into complete shutdown mode on Tuesday my contacts are saying. This is escalating quickly. Meanwhile Boris the bulllshitter continues to fiddle!

Eamonnca1

Quote from: bannside on March 15, 2020, 08:42:24 PM
ROI going into complete shutdown mode on Tuesday my contacts are saying. This is escalating quickly. Meanwhile Boris the bulllshitter continues to fiddle!

I wonder if the usual identity politics are going to come into play in the north. Are the unionists going to avoid doing what the ROI is doing and toe the UK party line in order to prove their Britishness? So far it looks like they will.  If so it could mean the fenians will stay at home, the prods will go out on the beer, and by the time this is all over we'll have our nationalist voting majority in the north sooner than we were expecting.

trileacman

Viruses don't tend to die out when they become endemic. Coronavirudae in particular tend to have a limited immunity so re-infection is common. Maybe because Covid-19 is more pathogenic a local immune response will develop and immunity will be longer-lasting but current evidence would suggest not.

Spanish flu for example did not "die out". H1N1 influenza (Spanish flu strain) currently circulates through the population and is included in every modern flu vaccine. The population at large just developed an immunity and the virus attenuated to less pathogenic variants
to ensure virus longevity.

Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014