The Forgotten Seven

Started by OakleafCounty, November 14, 2013, 01:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OakleafCounty

Has anyone been watching this on TG4?

Each episode is a documentary about one of the seven of the 14 rebels executed after the Easter rising. These are the lesser known seven that did not sign the proclamation. I'm not sure how many documentaries have been on but I've seen the ones dedicated to Michael Mallin and Con Colbert. Two great shows. The courage those men showed was something else. But it's a massive pity that they probably died thinking that the public thought of them as parasites.

Has anyone seen it?

naka

good shows
there are also a couple of documentaries each Friday on Richie, joe, liam and Rory who were executed/ murdered by the free state forces during the civil war

Feckitt

TG4 is the greatest TV channel of all time.

lawnseed

Quote from: Feckitt on November 14, 2013, 02:22:18 PM
yes I love those shows
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

OakleafCounty

Quote from: Feckitt on November 14, 2013, 02:22:18 PM

+1, its documentaries are second to none. I like how they don't glorify and are objective. They allow their viewers to make up their own mind.

Rossfan

Quote from: OakleafCounty on November 14, 2013, 01:29:52 PM

. I'm not sure how many documentaries have been on but I've seen the ones dedicated to Michael Mallin and Con Colbert. Two great shows.
Those are the only 2 to date.
McBride, Daly, O'Hanrahan, Heuston and Willie Pearse to go.
Excellent programmes as usual from TG4.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

OakleafCounty

Quote from: Rossfan on November 14, 2013, 03:46:26 PM
Quote from: OakleafCounty on November 14, 2013, 01:29:52 PM

. I'm not sure how many documentaries have been on but I've seen the ones dedicated to Michael Mallin and Con Colbert. Two great shows.
Those are the only 2 to date.
McBride, Daly, O'Hanrahan, Heuston and Willie Pearse to go.
Excellent programmes as usual from TG4.

Happy days, looking forward to the rest! I knew nothing about these men before. It's amazing how different Colbert and Mallins backgrounds were. Colbert seemed to be a young idealist while Mallin was much more hardened to the ways of the world. I'm not sure men like Colbert had any idea what they were getting themselves into. I think Mallin new very early in the Rising that they were screwed while Colbert was shouting about uprisings around the country.

ziggy90

Does anyone know how you can get to watch these programmes in England?
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

ardchieftain

Only caught some of the one on Colbert. He struck me as being very naive, a bit of a romantic idealist. Interesting documentary all the same, i must watch it in full.

macdanger2

Have them recorded.

TG4 have some excellent stuff on

ballela-angel

Ziggy, not sure about England - But in the States I go into TG4 Player, then Documentaries and it's right there - Hope that works for you
That awkward moment - Not sure if you do have free time or if you're just forgetting everything!

OakleafCounty

Quote from: naka on November 14, 2013, 01:59:38 PM
good shows
there are also a couple of documentaries each Friday on Richie, joe, liam and Rory who were executed/ murdered by the free state forces during the civil war

I watched this on Friday.  In my opinion this was even more of a crime than the Easter Rising executions and these men really haven't been remembered at all. An almost unbelievable story of former friends killing eachother.

Ulick

Quote from: ziggy90 on November 14, 2013, 09:05:46 PM

TG4Player as mentioned or the Irish torrent site: https://www.sharingirish.com/login.php

Farrandeelin

Quote from: OakleafCounty on November 19, 2013, 08:44:11 AM
good shows

I watched this on Friday.  In my opinion this was even more of a crime than the Easter Rising executions and these men really haven't been remembered at all. An almost unbelievable story of former friends killing eachother.

I agree with your sentiments Oakleaf, and I think it's a shame these men haven't been remembered. Are these 4 programmes finished or are they still running?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

OakleafCounty

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 19, 2013, 08:12:27 PM
Quote from: OakleafCounty on November 19, 2013, 08:44:11 AM
good shows

I agree with your sentiments Oakleaf, and I think it's a shame these men haven't been remembered. Are these 4 programmes finished or are they still running?

Still running. It's on again on Friday at 7:30 and will be dedicated to Joe McKelvey.