All-Stars 2023

Started by Blowitupref, July 18, 2023, 11:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawshank

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 19, 2023, 09:49:13 AM
If Rogers doesn't get one it's a farce. Should have got one last year. McCluskey the other contender. McGuigan possibly. Can't see Mckinless despite his heroics last Sunday.

McKindless got MOM v Clare, and had another massive game V Kerry, both in Croke Park, him and McGuigan top of the list. Rogers was super last Sunday.

Mario

The midfielders will come from 2 of Rogers, O'Connor, Fenton and McCarthy. Part of me thinks McCarthy will get one regardless of his final performance which leaves 1 for the other 3 lads.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Mario on July 19, 2023, 11:48:01 AM
2 of the 4 midfielders will come from Rogers, O'Connor, Fenton and McCarthy. Part of me thinks McCarthy will get one regardless of his final performance which leaves 1 for the other 3 lads.

Yeah I'd be leaning towards this. McCarthy would probably have to have a stinker of a final not to get it.
Currently I'd have Rogers ahead of O'Connor and Fenton currently but if either has an impactful final they might well jump him.

Blowitupref

Quote from: statto on July 19, 2023, 09:30:19 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on July 18, 2023, 11:55:58 PM
Just one game to play whereby normally up to 10 are won by the two finalists.

In the running for the two finalists and few more will be added if they perform well in the final.

Kerry -  Shane Ryan,Graham O'Sullivan,Jason Foley,Diarmuid O'Connor,Sean O'Shea,David Clifford,Gavin White

Dublin - Stephen Cluxton,James McCarthy,Con O'Callaghan,Michael Fitzsimons,Cormac Costello,Colm Basquel,Lee Gannon

The beaten semi finalist normal get 2 or 3.

Best placed for Derry Gareth Mckinless,Brendan Rogers,Shane McGuigan,Conor McCluskey and Monaghan Rory Beggan,Conor McCarthy,Karl O'Connell,Conor McManus

Maybe 1 or 2 of the beaten Quarter finalists will one those who will likely be nominated David McBrien (Mayo) Darragh Canavan (Tyrone) Rory Maguire (Cork) Andrew Murnin (Armagh) and his county didn't reach the last 8 but I can imagine Enda Smith will at least be nominated.
Fenton had a massive last 20 in the semi final if he turns up in the final will also be in the mix.

Fenton would be one of the players I had in mind and as I said above if they perform well in the final.

As it stands I think the front runners for the two midfield spots are Diarmuid O'Connor (Kerry) and Brendan Rogers. James McCarthy should win one but will likely be selected at wing half back instead of midfield.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

tiempo

Who would win, a team of duck sized Fentons, or a team of Fenton sized ducks?
Make for some viewing now in fairness and every bit as relevant as the All-Stars

Hound

Quote from: delgany on July 19, 2023, 11:24:08 AM
Quote from: tbrick18 on July 19, 2023, 11:09:09 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 19, 2023, 10:47:57 AM
No McGuigan?

McGuigan is top class no doubt, but he had a quiet QF and that mis-hit free at the end of the SF will probably go against him in Allstar terms.
But I agree that he's probably in the argument for one of top forwards in country (as was Paddy Bradley for years).
But with Kerry and Dublin in the final, I've no doubt that's where the bulk of forwards would come from. For me the 2 players who were most consistent for Derry in QF/SFs (which is really all they look much at for allstars) are mckinless and rogers.

In terms of deserving, I'd have Mcloskey, Mckinless, Rogers, McGuigan, Glass and McKaigue on the allstar team, but that'll never happen.

I don't believe that McGuigan mis hit the last free! I'm sure that  the ref spoke to him that it was the last kick off the game , so a point was his only option. Mc Guigan made a signal to another player to say as much
Disagree completely. He was trying to lob it in and over hit it. You could see his instant reaction.

I hate it when when people accuse a team of bottling it when they lose a tight game, when the reality is the winning team was just slightly better on the day. But that kick was a genuine bottle job. He did have a superb first half.

full moon

Fenton and McCarthy probably guaranteed especially if Dublin win also Mick Fitz, Costello? Clifford for Kerry, probably Sean O'Shea, Gavin White, Tom O'Sullivan, Jason Foley. Diarmuid O'Connor midfield in mix.

I think Beggan and Conor McCarthy from Monaghan should get one

McKinless from Derry, probably McGuigan too, McKaigue? Definitely 1 or 2 others in the mix

Kidder81

Quote from: Hound on July 19, 2023, 04:28:32 PM
No McGuigan?

McGuigan is top class no doubt, but he had a quiet QF and that mis-hit free at the end of the SF will probably go against him in Allstar terms.
But I agree that he's probably in the argument for one of top forwards in country (as was Paddy Bradley for years).
But with Kerry and Dublin in the final, I've no doubt that's where the bulk of forwards would come from. For me the 2 players who were most consistent for Derry in QF/SFs (which is really all they look much at for allstars) are mckinless and rogers.

In terms of deserving, I'd have Mcloskey, Mckinless, Rogers, McGuigan, Glass and McKaigue on the allstar team, but that'll never happen.

I don't believe that McGuigan mis hit the last free! I'm sure that  the ref spoke to him that it was the last kick off the game , so a point was his only option. Mc Guigan made a signal to another player to say as much
Disagree completely. He was trying to lob it in and over hit it. You could see his instant reaction.

I hate it when when people accuse a team of bottling it when they lose a tight game, when the reality is the winning team was just slightly better on the day. But that kick was a genuine bottle job. He did have a superb first half.

I would agree though he had spoke to McQuillan and then was still asking someone should he go high or low.

nrico2006

Looked like he over hit it going by his reaction. Nearly as bad as O'Connors.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

manwithnoplan

Aidan Forker deserves a nomination in my opinion, been his best season in years.

JoG2

Quote from: Hound on July 19, 2023, 04:28:32 PM
No McGuigan?

Bottle job, shit the nest etc etc, christ that craic grinds my gears, ultimate hurler on the ditch stuff.

McGuigan simply overcooked the kick, hands on his head in disbelief as soon as he hit it.

AustinPowers

Quote from: manwithnoplan on July 19, 2023, 06:20:20 PM
Aidan Forker deserves a nomination in my opinion, been his best season in years.

Yes , would agree with that . Probably Armagh 's most consistent performer

screenexile

Clucky has probably been our most consistent performer all year the other lads have been phenomenal at times but poor others McCluskey has played well every game... he'll probably be overlooked again though!

Brendan

How do you pick 3 full forwards so many outstanding ones this year, but given the usual understanding that all stars only come from the final 4 the likes of Canavan and a few of the Mayo lads who had good years, leaves McGuigan, Costello, Basquel, Callaghan, Clifford, McManus

marty34

Quote from: screenexile on July 19, 2023, 07:54:12 PM
Clucky has probably been our most consistent performer all year the other lads have been phenomenal at times but poor others McCluskey has played well every game... he'll probably be overlooked again though!

He's too quiet of a lad to come into the reckoning I think.  Doesn't like the limelight (which is a great trait) but could go against him. Such a modest lad and a great footballer.

Rogers should get one. No issues from going from full-back to mid-field. Great talent.

I think it all depends on the final and its outcome obviously.

For Derry, I think Mc Kinless, Rogers and Mc Guigan will be in with a good shout but they may only get 2.

Monaghan - Mc Carthy has a chance and Beggan also.

Would Mc Manus be in with a shout ? Did well in quater-final and semi-final.  But not sure if he did enough.