Gaa world games next week UCD and Croke park

Started by sligoman2, August 06, 2016, 06:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

This should be a big event for the promotion of Gaelic games.  Great to see that there is a native born competition for non- irish born players.  I know a few of the New York team and they will be fairly handy in both men and women.

Great to see Oman down in Sligo yesterday.  Looking forward to following this.  Any interest in this from the home crowd?
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Jinxy

One thing is for sure, Galicia won't fear Brittany.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

sligoman2

ashman

muppet

MWWSI 2017

sligoman2

http://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/1608041/#5

Some nice pictures from the action today at UCD.  The 6th picture with the Chinese guy and the Frenchman jumping is excellent - probably worth a caption competition at some point.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: sligoman2 on August 10, 2016, 01:40:02 AM
http://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/1608041/#5

Some nice pictures from the action today at UCD.  The 6th picture with the Chinese guy and the Frenchman jumping is excellent - probably worth a caption competition at some point.

I don't think Leo likes his photo taken.

AZOffaly

These games are a great idea. It's a regret of mine that I didn't accept an invitation to play back in 1997 or 1998. I was living out in the States, and only had 10 days leave, and was planning on going home for the Christmas. I should have gone, it would have been a great experience.

Jinxy

That German corner back looks like he'd be a great man to bust up the play.

The Subbie

I see Oman brought in that stalwart of Arabian GAA , Banty , to manage them.
The Omani's couldn't figure out his empty the tank speech at all.
There is no suggestion that these Omani's are in any way connected to the Navan O'Mahonys.

Jinxy

Good to see the Arab world has finally forgiven him for this.

armaghniac

Quote from: Jinxy on August 11, 2016, 11:21:08 AM
Good to see the Arab world has finally forgiven him for this.

merely an attempt to respect the customs of people from northern parts, in this case the Arctic.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

joemamas

Quote from: The Subbie on August 11, 2016, 04:50:55 AM
I see Oman brought in that stalwart of Arabian GAA , Banty , to manage them.
The Omani's couldn't figure out his empty the tank speech at all.
There is no suggestion that these Omani's are in any way connected to the Navan O'Mahonys.

Would have to be one of the top ten posts of the year. ;D

magpie seanie

Just thought I'd revive this topic after the day we had in Coolera/Strandhill yesterday. We welcomed our visitors San Isidro Gaelico from Buenos Aires, Argentina and had a tremendous evening. From retired older former players giving it one more run out to young underage players showing how they're developing we put the visitors through their paces with a series of games and a coaching session. I was amazed at their skill levels considering they only formed the club 2 years ago and are all native Argentinian. Obviously need to improve certain aspects and were very direct in their questioning afterwards as to what we thought of them. Very keen to learn. They ranged in ages from 15 to 56 (the two players at the extremities of the ages were both remarkable....the young lad would make any U-16 team here and the old guy never stopped running) and are tremendously dedicated to their "family", their club.

After the games we retired to the Strand Bar and once the guitars came out things went to another level. A truly great night and great experience for us all.

The lads head on this morning on their tour of the country (Foxford, Moycullen and a training session with Colm Collins in Calrecastle await) before arriving in Waterford for the World Games which start on Monday. It's simply an amazing achievement for them to make it to this event....this say they are living their dream.

Details of this years competitions here https://www.gaa.ie/worldgames/