Cork Hurlers 2012 - JBM returns

Started by heffo, February 24, 2012, 08:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bottlethrower7

Quote from: theskull1 on March 11, 2012, 06:42:13 PM
Fantastic game of hurling. Can you imagine watching that Armagh match afterwards

nope, left after the hurling!

Reillers

Quote from: Asal Mor on March 11, 2012, 04:45:17 PM
Great game today. Thought it was interesting how much of a difference the Cork subs - Egan and Sweetman - made. The old boys for Cork were really poor apart from Cusack who made a couple of great saves and Shane O Neill. I was surprised Sean Og lasted the full 70. He was very sloppy in possession a few times and didn't get onto enough ball anyway. Gardiner, Kenny , O' Connor all looked off the pace as they have for the past few years at this level. I can't see any reason apart from loyalty for those guys to hold their places. Lehane was quiet enough for a lot of the game but still scored three points and looked a different class when he got the ball. O Sullivan and Horgan were lively and dangerous. Cathal Naughton was brilliant apart from his finishing and should have had about 1-6 instead of 1-1.

Dublin played well and the result was a bit hard on them but they are certainly carrying a few passengers in the forward line. Ryan was excellent apart from a couple of late missed frees. That handpass in the first half to set up the goal chance was a brilliant bit of skill. Sutcliffe and Boland both stood out as well and Liam Rushe won almost every ball that came his way - It was a pity they didn't pump a few more high balls in on top of him.

Good game, a lot of wides, too many missed chances, the 1 point win could have had a goal and 4/5 points on top of that had players like Naughton been on top of his game.
The youngs lads coming on did well, I had said I'd have rather seen Egan, Sweetman and McLoughlin start.
The older lads, I think, have had enough and hopefully they'll start less often come championship time. They've been great servants and done so much for Cork hurling but I think if we were in the position where the likes of Gardiner or Sean Og starting in Championship we would be in a bit of trouble.
Going on what we've seen so far and last season, it would be dissapointing to see more than 2 of them on the bench, they'd bring great experience but it's time to start new, new manager, new fresh slate.

If JBM wants to build a new team than he should start a midfield that will be there for his tenure into the future. They have to persist and stay with long term players.
We're not close to challenging for the title, but all we can ask for is that bit of fight that's been missing from Cork hurling over the last few years, but when you look at what we've seen in the last 2 seasons it's a big positive.

Asal Mor

Yeah I agree Reillers, I always thought experience was an over rated commodity in sport and all too often platers are kept on for what they did years ago. Gardiner is the strangest one though. Still only 29 - He should be in his prime. He was always outstanding until a few years ago but the strikes seemed to take a huge toll on him (unless he had some serious injury that I don't remember).

imtommygunn

Ben O'Connor retired according to the rock on twitter??

Reillers

Very sad to see him go. I've not a bad word to say about him. One of the best players to ever put on a Cork jersey and I don't think there are enough words to describe the contribution he has  made to Cork hurling and the impact he has had on the game. He is a complete pro and will be remembered for the legend that he became. All I can say is to wish him well and thank him for years of brilliance. On top form he was one of the best players of his time and it all came completely natural to him. The twins were two of the best naturally gifted players. With both O Connor twins gone it really does mark the end of an era for Cork hurling.

orangeman

Ben was a serious hurler.

Cork without the twins will be the poorer. The drive, he energy, the pace and hurling skill they brought to the game was immense.

Reillers

Quote from: orangeman on March 16, 2012, 12:57:25 PM
Ben was a serious hurler.

Cork without the twins will be the poorer. The drive, he energy, the pace and hurling skill they brought to the game was immense.

Outstanding and imense as it was, I think it was clear that Ben struggled in the opening games. His legs were gone and that was clear from the end of last season. Thought he'd hold out till end of this season but it wasn't to be.

orangeman

The good times are back - 2 point win over the Cats today.

It's all looking good for JBM and Cork.

gallsman

Was down on the banks of the Lee today for that. Some of those young Cork lads look quality. Lehane in particular was outstanding.