Kilkenny vs Waterford - All Ireland semi final 07/06/2011

Started by Ash Smoker, August 05, 2011, 10:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 07, 2011, 04:51:35 PM
Eoin Larkin's first touch is woeful. Cha should be on here.

Kilkenny are far off the pace and standard they will need if they play Tipp.

No KK player distinguished themselves particularly today (with the probable exceptions of Walsh and Hogan) but to suggest Eoin Larkin's touch is woeful (perhaps you only meant today, not in general) is ludicrous. Power's touch was much, much worse today, losing ball left, right and centre. Struggling to hold onto anything

Very disappointing performance from the Cats. Some of their striking and distribution was very shoddy, as was some of the decision making. I've never seen Shefflin choose to play so many balls in low to the full forwards when a simple point was on offer. He did a lot of uncharacteristic moaning to the ref as well.

I expected them to come out and make a statement. With all due respect to Dublin, there was nothing there today to suggest that KK can seriously challenge Tipp. John Mullane was great to watch, but you'd wonder what Lar and Kelly could do.

Premier Emperor

Quote from: gallsman on August 07, 2011, 11:24:34 PM
I've never seen Shefflin choose to play so many balls in low to the full forwards when a simple point was on offer. He did a lot of uncharacteristic moaning to the ref as well.
He always moans at refs!
He got some shock when he was yellow carded too!  ;D

Last Man

Surprisingly rusty looking KK display especially from the fwds, their touch uncharacteristically woeful at times, just goes to show it can happen to the best of us. For me the pick of both teams were in the backs, Lawlor and Murphy.

AZOffaly

No KK player distinguished themselves particularly today (with the probable exceptions of Walsh and Hogan) but to suggest Eoin Larkin's touch is woeful (perhaps you only meant today, not in general) is ludicrous. Power's touch was much, much worse today, losing ball left, right and centre. Struggling to hold onto anything

Very disappointing performance from the Cats. Some of their striking and distribution was very shoddy, as was some of the decision making. I've never seen Shefflin choose to play so many balls in low to the full forwards when a simple point was on offer. He did a lot of uncharacteristic moaning to the ref as well.

I expected them to come out and make a statement. With all due respect to Dublin, there was nothing there today to suggest that KK can seriously challenge Tipp. John Mullane was great to watch, but you'd wonder what Lar and Kelly could do.

Yeah, I meant yesterday. In fairness he wasn't alone but I thought his touch was poor. Even Shefflin was poking at the ball like an aul wan raking the fire at one stage, before kicking it away. I've never seen that before. I wonder was the grass a bit longer than normal?  One time Larkin was trying to pick it up, couldn't, ended up standing on the ball (!!) and the ball nearly disappeared into the grass.

The conspiracy theorist in me says they might have left it a bit longer to stop lads slipping around like they were last weekend. I didn't notice as much slipping this week to be fair, but I wonder is that why.

Two Hands FFS

A poor display from the cats yet they were still very very comfortable... if you win by 12-15 points then everybody will think things are grand. Cody will get tore into them & I'd expect a 30 or 40% improvement for the final. Whether that is enough to beat Tipp I'd don't know.

Whenever complacency sets in it's hard to get rid off.

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 08, 2011, 10:16:14 AM

Yeah, I meant yesterday. In fairness he wasn't alone but I thought his touch was poor. Even Shefflin was poking at the ball like an aul wan raking the fire at one stage, before kicking it away. I've never seen that before. I wonder was the grass a bit longer than normal?  One time Larkin was trying to pick it up, couldn't, ended up standing on the ball (!!) and the ball nearly disappeared into the grass.

The conspiracy theorist in me says they might have left it a bit longer to stop lads slipping around like they were last weekend. I didn't notice as much slipping this week to be fair, but I wonder is that why.

That Shefflin one was insane. He dipped it four times without success and then wildly resorted to a kick. Never seen the like of it from him. Just goes to show that even the greatest of hurlers can learn a thing or two about bending their backs and using two hands!

I love to watch Larkin on the ball - the way he swivels and spins away from challenges is absolutely fantastic.

brokencrossbar1

I wouldn't be a very knowledgable hurling man but to me KK looked like they were playing within themselves yesterday and once they got the early cushion they kind of switched off a bit.  Watching them I always felt they could lift it another notch if required and I think they had half an eye on Tipp.  The performance will do them the power of good as Cody wil analyse it and he will work on their hadling errors like a demon over the next few weeks.  I think they might beat Tipp, who I believe will make the final with a bit to spare.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 08, 2011, 12:06:27 PM
I wouldn't be a very knowledgable hurling man but to me KK looked like they were playing within themselves yesterday and once they got the early cushion they kind of switched off a bit.  Watching them I always felt they could lift it another notch if required and I think they had half an eye on Tipp.  The performance will do them the power of good as Cody wil analyse it and he will work on their hadling errors like a demon over the next few weeks.  I think they might beat Tipp, who I believe will make the final with a bit to spare.

They might have had another gear to move into but Kilkenny of a few years ago would have beaten that Waterford team by 15 or 20 points once they had gotten 7 or 8 ahead. They were ruthless like that. Instead Waterford reeled off 5 or 6 points on the trot to claw them back which makes me think they can't quite blitz teams like they were once were able to. I know people will say they were minding themselves but Kilkenny under Cody were never too bothered about minding themselves in the past so I don't think they'd start now.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 08, 2011, 12:38:09 PM

They might have had another gear to move into but Kilkenny of a few years ago would have beaten that Waterford team by 15 or 20 points once they had gotten 7 or 8 ahead. They were ruthless like that. Instead Waterford reeled off 5 or 6 points on the trot to claw them back which makes me think they can't quite blitz teams like they were once were able to. I know people will say they were minding themselves but Kilkenny under Cody were never too bothered about minding themselves in the past so I don't think they'd start now.

the thing is that the KK team of a few years ago didn't have those few years on their legs and therefore didn't need to mind themselves as much as they need to now.  I could be wrong but I think they have a bigger lift in them than some may think.

bottlethrower7

I wouldn't be a very knowledgable hurling man but to me KK looked like they were playing within themselves yesterday and once they got the early cushion they kind of switched off a bit.

rather than play within themselves I think it was more a case of keeping waterford at arms length.

It was a very economical performance. Perfect for Kilkenny in fact. There'll certainly be no problems with media hype this year. Tipperary will have the pleasure of that this year.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on August 08, 2011, 01:20:03 PM
I wouldn't be a very knowledgable hurling man but to me KK looked like they were playing within themselves yesterday and once they got the early cushion they kind of switched off a bit.

rather than play within themselves I think it was more a case of keeping waterford at arms length.

It was a very economical performance. Perfect for Kilkenny in fact. There'll certainly be no problems with media hype this year. Tipperary will have the pleasure of that this year.

That's probably closer to what I was thinking, just doing what was needed to win without really pushing it out.

Croí na hÉireann

I read somewhere that they sanded the pitch this week, whatever that means. Hardly just throwing a few buckets of sand around the place. Anyways the pitch stood up well in the weather Sat night although didn't seem to be ideal for the hurling yesterday alright.

I also think KK have a kick left for the final, they went out to knock Waterford at the start of both halves and then just keep them at arms length. Whatever Cody has planned he wasn't gonna show his hand in this game.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on August 08, 2011, 02:42:23 PM

Whatever Cody has planned he wasn't gonna show his hand in this game.

He's had no problem doing so in the past. They've just gone out and walloped teams when they've been on top like yesterday. People seem to think they wlll just go up 2 or 3 gears effortlessly in the final which is always possible but maybe they are finding those higher gears harder to reach now.

AZOffaly

I just thought their forwards were very un-Kilkennylike. There were a lot of selfish options and  crazy shots, most of which went wide. TJ Reid, Michael Rice, Richie Hogan's brother all did this. That was most worrying for me. I think their touch was just 'off' and they did win a power of ball as usual, but they weren't moving like they used to.

shawshank

After watching that its hard to see Tipp not lifting the All Ireland, in may ways a reversal of the positions going into last years final. God pity the Dubs