Kilkenny vs Waterford - All Ireland semi final 07/06/2011

Started by Ash Smoker, August 05, 2011, 10:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ash Smoker

Am I completely mad in giving Waterford a chance here?
Kilkenny haven't done much hurling lately and are in decline.
At least Waterford had their wake up call in the Munster final.

Ash Smoker

Cody names unchanged team for semi-final

It comes as no surprise that Kilkenny manager Brian Cody has tonight opted to name an unchanged team for Sunday's All-Ireland SHC semi-final against Waterford at Croke Park (throw-in 3.30pm).

Training went off without a hitch this week, so Cody has stuck with the side that started the Cats' Leinster Championship final victory over Dublin five weeks ago.

There are some positional switches listed, with Noel Hickey named at full-back and Paul Murphy selected in the right corner. Former Hurler of the Year JJ Delaney is positioned at left half-back.

Michael Rice injured himself in training last weekend but is fit to take his place in midfield alongside Michael Fennelly.

Kilkenny are expected to advance to their 11th All-Ireland final - the sixth in succession - since Cody was appointed at the end of 1998. They beat Waterford by 2-16 to 1-13 in this year's Allianz Hurling League, helped by healthy scoring contributions from Richie Hogan (0-7), TJ Reid (1-2) and Colin Fennelly (1-2).

"Our sights are set on being in the All-Ireland final. Kilkenny have never found it easy against Waterford in the Championship. They won't on Sunday either," Cody told the Kilkenny People.

"The character and resilience Waterford showed (to come back and beat Galway) was of the highest order. They proved they had what every team wanting to be winners needs - great resilience, character and mental toughness."

KILKENNY (SHC v Waterford): David Herity; Paul Murphy, Noel Hickey, Jackie Tyrrell; Tommy Walsh, Brian Hogan (capt), JJ Delaney; Michael Fennelly, Michael Rice; TJ Reid, Richie Power, Eoin Larkin; Colin Fennelly, Henry Shefflin, Richie Hogan.

Substitutes: PJ Ryan, Michael Kavanagh, John Dalton, Paddy Hogan, James 'Cha' Fitzpatrick, Eddie Brennan, Conor Fogarty, Kieran Joyce, Richie Doyle, John Mulhall, Matthew Ruth.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/cody-names-unchanged-team-for-semi-final-515565.html#ixzz1UByFd6dF

Lecale2

I can't see any way that Waterford can win this. Kilkeeny just too strong all over the pitch - and then there's the bench!

I expect Kilkenny to win by about 8. Hope I'm wrong.

AZOffaly

Extra Time in the Minor Semi Final? I've never seen extra time in a semi final. I'd say they are dragging lads out of the showers at the moment. They all shook hands and all.

Milltown Row2

Aye bad craic if they hadn't knew beforehand. Clare look shattered
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

TJ Reid could walk here, he's not the player of a few years ago. Fair play Waterford....... so far
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

Waterford are competing, but there's no way they are going to dominate for long stretches like they did against Galway. Kilkenny look much better with Eoin Larkin out on the wing and Shefflin or Power inside in the Full Forward position.

Last Man

When Mullane plays well theres always hope for Waterford, and they are creating space in the cats back line. Good few kilkenny boys still below par but they still managing to keep a nose in front. 2nd half should be a cracker.

AZOffaly

I think you could see Kilkenny stretch this a bit. Their forwards are not really clicking (despite 2-10 scored!!) but Waterford are expending a pile of energy.

Milltown Row2

Aye fair bit of energy used in the first half, bit of a breeze (not much) favouring Waterford here, helps defenders but but unless they can find their forwards then they are fooked. TJ gone no surprise there

AZOffaly

Eoin Larkin's first touch is woeful. Cha should be on here.

Kilkenny are far off the pace and standard they will need if they play Tipp.

Tony Baloney

25 minutes left and unless Waterford get a goal soon it's over as a contest. Pity as Waterford were up for in the first half.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 07, 2011, 04:51:35 PM
Eoin Larkin's first touch is woeful. Cha should be on here.

Kilkenny are far off the pace and standard they will need if they play Tipp or Dublin.

Fixed that :P