Allianz Hurling League 2011 - Roinn 1

Started by Bord na Mona man, February 10, 2011, 08:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Allianz Hurling League Roinn 1 2011

Round 1
12.02.11 (Sat)

Tipperary V Kilkenny      Time: 7 30 PM, Venue: Semple Stadium, Thurles      Referee: Brian Gavin

13.02.11 (Sun)

Galway V Wexford      Time: 2 30 PM, Venue: Pearse Stadium      Referee: James Mc Grath

Cork V Offaly      Time: 2 30 PM, Venue: Páirc Uí Chaoimh      Referee: Michael Wadding

Waterford V Dublin      Time: 2 30 PM, Venue: Walsh Park       Referee: Diarmuid Kirwan

A more determined Kilkenny to shade it over Tipp.
Galway should have too much for Wexford.
I expect Cork to win by 10+ over Offaly who haven't been showing up too well lately.
Waterford might get edged out by the Dubs, but I reckon advantage will see them through here.

seafoid

I thought the IMF was going to cancel the GAA season. Especially with FF the way they are. 

Premier Emperor

All home wins...All the Leinster teams to get beaten
A strong Tipperary team has been named, with a bit of experimenting the full forward line.

1. Darren Gleeson (Portroe)
2. Paddy Stapleton (Borris-Ileigh)
3. Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
4. Conor O'Brien (Éire Óg Annacarty)
5. David Young (Toomevara)
6. Conor O'Mahony (Newport) Captain
7. Hugh Maloney (Nenagh Éire Óg)
8. Brendan Maher (Borris-Ileigh)
9. Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch)
10. Gearóid Ryan (Templederry Kenyons)
11. Pa Bourke (Thurles Sarsfields)
12. Noel McGrath (Loughmore Castleiney)
13. John O'Neill (Clonoulty Rossmore)
14. Patrick Maher (Lorrha & Dorrha)
15. Timmy Hammersley (Clonoulty Rossmore)

bottlethrower7

Kilkenny heading to Tipp to make up the numbers. Will be ate alive by tipp's second-string

Dublin should be good to bait waterford on the back of a good win against galway. Dublin are at their best this time of year (last year being the exception to that assertion)

johnneycool

Any news on the Cork team yet?

I'd expect Denis to be putting a few new faces out there for the league.

Found it strangely enough on the Cork GAA website..

1. Anthony Nash
       Kanturk

2. Stephen McDonnell 3. Eoin Cadogan 4. Shane Murphy
   Glen Rovers                Douglas                 Erins Own

5. John Gardiner 6. Mark Ellis 7. Ray Ryan
Na Piarsaigh          Millstreet        Sarsfields

8. Jerry O'Connor 9. William Egan
Newtownshandrum        Kilbrin

10. Tom Kenny 11. Pa Cronin 12. Cathal Naughton
Grenagh              Bishopstown     Newtownshandrum

13. Ben O'Connor 14. Paudie O'Sullivan 15. Pat Horgan
Newtownshandrum       Cloyne                   Glen Rovers

GalwayBayBoy

McIntyre giving it the poor mouth again because of injuries. Get the impression that Galway are not going to go all out to win the league like they did last year and instead we will see lots of youngsters tried out.

QuoteGalway depleted for league opener:
09 February 2011

Galway are set to be without a dozen of their squad for this Sunday's National Hurling League opener against Wexford at Pearse Stadium.

All Star forward Joe Canning is among a long list of absentees for the Tribesmen, as the Portemna man continues to recover from a heel injury, and he could also miss out of the defending champions' clash with Offaly on February 20.

Shane Kavanagh and Richie Cummins are both long-term casualties for manager John McIntyre, while Clarinbridge pair Barry Daly and Eoin Forde are preparing for the All-Ireland club SHC semi-final against De La Salle, and Damien Joyce, Fergal Moore, Kevin Hynes and Damien Hayes have all be ruled out for this weekend.

"We'll be lucky to tog 20 players on Sunday the way things are going," said McIntyre.

The team lining out.

Colm Callanan
David Collins
John Lee
Ger O'Halloran (Debut)
Adrian Cullinane
Tony Og Regan
Ger Mahon
Donal Barry
David Burke
Eanna Ryan
Cyril Donnellan
Ger Farragher
Aonghus Callanan
Iarla Tannian
Johnny Coen (Debut)

deiseach

Rollicking good game in the Sportsfield today, I've posed something masquerading as a match report here

bottlethrower7

Quote from: deiseach on February 13, 2011, 10:02:01 PM
Rollicking good game in the Sportsfield today, I've posed something masquerading as a match report here

that was a right good game. Dublin just need to learn how to defend now (which is the easiest thing in the world according to Tommy Lyons). It was a strange one though. Dublin's lineout ended up fairly unorthodox looking with 2 corner backs, neither of whom are corner backs (Kelly and Lambert), and as much confusion elsewhere as there. In midfield Durkin still looks not to be up to it at this level, but the forwards division is the one promising most. There was a lot of fairly slick link-up play leading to scores that the mighty Kilkenny would have been proud of. The disappearing act in the second half and the inability to cope with the high ball in around the square must be the 2 greatest causes for concern.

Dublin were probably near enough full-strength. Waterford not even close. Both sides will be happy enough with the outcome I'd imagine. Looking forward to seeing how Foley shapes up over the coming month. He looks like he has the ability to be the leader of that team for some years to come (no pressure or anything).

Galway-Wexford was awful tripe. Some of the basic errors Wexford were making have to be down to their training. Its not acceptable at that level (or many levels below) to be committing the mistakes they made. And if there aren't 2 better wing-backs in Wexford than the 2 they started yesterday then I think they may give it up altogether.

Not a whole lot to be read into the big curtain-raiser on saturday night either - other than that hurling is not a game to be played under lights. Its hard enough to play one half of a match facing the sun, let alone to be playing a full game facing 6 of them. The crowd was poor, the fare, while committed, wasn't really up to the standards expected of these 2 sides. And Tipperary's tactics were so elaborate that not even the Tipperary played seemed to understand them.

All in all a very mediocre weekend of hurling.

Croí na hÉireann

Enjoyed that Deiseach, boladh bos
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

heffo

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on February 14, 2011, 08:56:40 AM

that was a right good game. Dublin just need to learn how to defend now (which is the easiest thing in the world according to Tommy Lyons). It was a strange one though. Dublin's lineout ended up fairly unorthodox looking with 2 corner backs, neither of whom are corner backs (Kelly and Lambert), and as much confusion elsewhere as there. In midfield Durkin still looks not to be up to it at this level, but the forwards division is the one promising most. There was a lot of fairly slick link-up play leading to scores that the mighty Kilkenny would have been proud of. The disappearing act in the second half and the inability to cope with the high ball in around the square must be the 2 greatest causes for concern.

Dublin were probably near enough full-strength. Waterford not even close. Both sides will be happy enough with the outcome I'd imagine. Looking forward to seeing how Foley shapes up over the coming month. He looks like he has the ability to be the leader of that team for some years to come (no pressure or anything).

Galway-Wexford was awful tripe. Some of the basic errors Wexford were making have to be down to their training. Its not acceptable at that level (or many levels below) to be committing the mistakes they made. And if there aren't 2 better wing-backs in Wexford than the 2 they started yesterday then I think they may give it up altogether.

Not a whole lot to be read into the big curtain-raiser on saturday night either - other than that hurling is not a game to be played under lights. Its hard enough to play one half of a match facing the sun, let alone to be playing a full game facing 6 of them. The crowd was poor, the fare, while committed, wasn't really up to the standards expected of these 2 sides. And Tipperary's tactics were so elaborate that not even the Tipperary played seemed to understand them.

All in all a very mediocre weekend of hurling.

Dublin were short five starters from their likely championship team.

The same old failings of conceding goals is killing us.

bottlethrower7

Dublin have maybe 2 lads to come back in that will arguably strengthen the team. They may start 5 different lads in championship but some would be no stronger than what played yesterday. The likes of Gough and McCrabbe would improve the team. With others its much of a muchness (assuming Rory O'Carroll won't be playing hurling again this year, and that David Tracey won't get back to near full-fitness). I think it says it all when they're still springing Liam Ryan from the bench. The panel really is limited enough.

I'm excluding Ryan O'Dwyer from that as I've not made my mind up on him. He looks decent, but his reputation for a strong ball-winner seems misplaced. He looked fairly tame under the high ball against Galway, though had a lot of other useful looking attributes.

Milltown Row2

Cork are dung, I'm being nice and Eoin Cadogan is a eejit. No need to get involved trailing people to the ground won't win the match.

The Kilkenny machine looks to back on track, no Dalton toady Mick Kavangh back in his old position.

Pissing down at Nolan Park
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

orangeman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 20, 2011, 03:16:39 PM
Cork are dung, I'm being nice and Eoin Cadogan is a eejit. No need to get involved trailing people to the ground won't win the match.

The Kilkenny machine looks to back on track, no Dalton toady Mick Kavangh back in his old position.

Pissing down at Nolan Park

He seems to have wrecked his own corner back there.

orangeman

Cork have really upped the tempo in the 2nd half and really put the pressure on KK.

Proverbial games of 2 halfs.

orangeman

Cork desperately unlucky not to take something from the game. They gave it their all in the 2nd half.

Some display by Richie Hogan who was unmarkable all day and they gave the MOM to John Gardiner !! LOL  ;D ;D