Cricket

Started by Jack Dempsey, November 23, 2006, 06:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

never kickt a ball

I take it this thread has run out?

Canalman

Cricket is very popular in the Fingal area , as is Gaelic Football. Also popular in North Cork I believe. Never played it myself but developed a liking for the game in Oz. Can't stand Shane Warne though. Met Glenn McGrath in a pub in Melbourne and he  seemed sound.

never kickt a ball

Did you see "state of play" won the Hennesy Gold Cup today at 10/1 for all you cricket pun-dits.

ONeill

Quote from: tayto on November 24, 2006, 10:12:04 AM
Heard that on Newstalk alright. Thank god for the GAA so!!!!

Quote from: ONeill on November 23, 2006, 09:58:31 PM
Sorry for the break in the pun-fun, but this was a topic I researched a while ago, having read an article in Ireland's Own! Believe it or not, in 1882, Michael Cusack thought that the best game suited to the Irish was cricket. In a column he wrote at the time, he said that cricket was an Irish game and encouraged young men to take it up and purchase Irish made stumps etc. I was serious about the All-Ireland reference above, and even our GAA inter-county structure took its lead from the English All-England Club. By the 1880s the rural cricket structure was a rival to that which existed in England. A boyo who researched the origins of Cricket found the earliest reference to the game came in Irish literature when Cuchulainn 'defended the hole'. He came to the conclusion that thte game of Cricket was invented in Ireland.

Are you for real? That's news to me, I know Dev said rugby was suited to the irish persona. 'xcuse me ignorance but how does 'defending the hole' refer specifically to cricket? ... or is this an elaborate wind up i'm not getting? ... surely that could be defending the goal? as in hurling ...

Cricket and hurling have very similar histories other then that, landlords used to have teams made up of their tennents and they'd take on other landlords etc.

i know hockey is thought to have come from winter hurling, and that summer hurling is what we know today as hurling, or so the history of the GAA book i read awhile back said anyways.

Seriously not a wind up. As far as I gathered Cusack wrote a column in "Shamrock" called "Our Boys". He intimated that Cricket was a game suited to the Irish (in 1882) and instructed readers how to play, form a club, and to buy Irish stumps, bats and balls. The sport was played in large numbers in rural areas throughout Ireland.

The 'defending the hole'  comment was in reference to early literature detailing 'the game of the loop' or Lub, Luban or Lubog. The English then filled the hole and added stumps.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

charlie linkbox

So are we saying that cricket was made in (maiden......... geddit?) in Ireland?

The puns are back NKAB.

never kickt a ball

Cheers Charlie. But as it's a serious topic I must try the search engine googly to see if I can find any information on this tail. I don't want to be caught behind or on the back foot by a jaffaor anything else silly from O'Neill and the rest of the selectors on this test  

ONeill

Wicket humour boys. How's that?

never kickt a ball

Quote from: ONeill on November 26, 2006, 08:55:13 AM
Wicket humour boys. How's that?
Nice line O'Neill! I knew we could appeal to your humourous nature. Mind you now that you have you have put me on the back foot I'm feeling rather stumped. While this isn't the thread of the century I am interested innings what you have to say about it. Looking forward to your next delivery

spectator

Quote from: charlie linkbox on November 26, 2006, 12:58:48 AM
So are we saying that cricket was made in (maiden......... geddit?) in Ireland?

The puns are back NKAB.

That's a very sweeping statement Charlie with a hint of spin, but that well spotted pun bails you out, i guess.

ONeills bouncer and a good one it was, followed on by good line and length, will stump those lurking at silly point though.

You're on a very sticky wicket indeed when you highlight the pre-eminence of the foreign game in 1800's Ireland.

It's just not cricket is it :D

lawnseed 2

i listen to newstalk as well the best gaa coverage on the radio good interviews and match commentary(dublin games). from a nordie point of view they have went to the bother of getting a bt lowcall number (0845 etc) even though their signal isnt strong in the north other stations also have this facility but never give out the number todayfm, rte radio 1 and 2fm thus ruling us out of competitions, points of view etc. eg it is now impossible for anyone in northern ireland to contact todayfm by phone. i think given this positive move by this station and their fast growing listnership the gaa should row in behind them we need positive coverage for a change. (dont start me on the bbc). meanwhile back to the cricket is it not similar to rounders a gaa game. if im right we are a world sport and dont know it . by the way i have discovered recently that i am bi-lingual i was listening to an ulster-scots programme on radio six county statelet and understood every word. im applying for new job can i put this on my cv ;)

ONeill

Apply to the Ulster-Scots Booord.

never kickt a ball

What a declaration spectator!!!

Hardy

When it comes to cricket, I don't know my arse from my lbw.

never kickt a ball

Brilliant hardy. Nearly collapsed laughing :D :D :D