Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

The Grahams started at Rossa - moved to Cushendun - and then moved back.

My opinion is the reason we have all these transfers within the county is because of the city. Realistically Derry is the only other city in ulster and there isn't much gaelic in there which is why there isn't that problem there or in the rest of ulster. Dublin has a significantly worse problem than antrim in this regard. Look at the transfers they talk about.

There are some small clubs in Belfast - who are doing well to progress - but players see successful clubs right on their doorstep and to try and gain success etc. they move there. I would also see the reason of less loyalty in city clubs as a big reason. Most of your transfers are notably among city clubs. Then for some small clubs there aren't even conceivable gaps between the areas they mingle in and the areas of the bigger clubs which their players can go too. In the country your next club is x miles away so in terms of who you mingle with etc. it's a bigger problem.

You also seem to have a chip on your shoulder about galls sam. Any reason for this?

McQuillan was for personal reasons - he's different. Craig - are you sure about his transfer? Craig has played for cargin as long as i've known and as far as i know his family is from cargin.

Glensman

I couldn't give a flying f@ck who you actually are SS.

It is completely a subjective issue.
In MOST cases there are valid reasons why players move clubs...it doesn't happen too often in practice (the stats may show it might happen in Antrim more than others) but when it does as a paying member of the GAA, whose rules we are subject to and generally abide by a player should have the right to present his case and it be heard.

If its "I want to move to St Galls/Cargin/Rossa(hurling) as I fancy a trophy" then I have some sympathy for your argument.
If its because:

• Due to a family fall out no one in the team speaks to the fella.
    You have moved 60/70/80 miles away from home and can't travel due to work/family.
    I'm sure there are other examples.
then your argument however catered for in the rule book should fall by the wayside.

The GAA generally needs to look after the common every day player.
The most important was of doing this is by giving the common every day player more fixtures (the ongoing debate).
BUT it should look at the grievances of that player where they have some, which is often fall out with clubs/practicalities of playing.

Glensman

I tried to get all fancy with the bullet points...roll on the abuse from Principal SS (or should that be principle?!)

Balboa

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 07, 2007, 10:16:35 AM
The Grahams started at Rossa - moved to Cushendun - and then moved back.

My opinion is the reason we have all these transfers within the county is because of the city. Realistically Derry is the only other city in ulster and there isn't much gaelic in there which is why there isn't that problem there or in the rest of ulster. Dublin has a significantly worse problem than antrim in this regard. Look at the transfers they talk about.

There are some small clubs in Belfast - who are doing well to progress - but players see successful clubs right on their doorstep and to try and gain success etc. they move there. I would also see the reason of less loyalty in city clubs as a big reason. Most of your transfers are notably among city clubs. Then for some small clubs there aren't even conceivable gaps between the areas they mingle in and the areas of the bigger clubs which their players can go too. In the country your next club is x miles away so in terms of who you mingle with etc. it's a bigger problem.

You also seem to have a chip on your shoulder about galls sam. Any reason for this?

McQuillan was for personal reasons - he's different. Craig - are you sure about his transfer? Craig has played for cargin as long as i've known and as far as i know his family is from cargin.

They must have been about 5 when they were at Rossa, i remember them playing U-16 for St Pats (an underage amalgamation of Glenariffe/Cushendun). They also won a minor county championship with St Pats.

Balboa

Quote from: hardstation on September 07, 2007, 03:16:40 PM
They did start at Rossa alright but were quite young when they were there. I heard the da (the handball man whose name I can't remember) stopped them from moving back to Rossa on numerous occasions before the eventual move.

Seamus Graham is said handball fella.

Balboa

Quote from: hardstation on September 08, 2007, 03:29:41 PM
Maneely Mc Cann Minor Championship Final
Rossa  3-5  2-5 Sarsfields

When i was walking into Casement last night before the Minor hurling final some of the dejected Sarsfields players were walking out, one was telling a few of his mates what particular assortment of beverages he had in his kitbag for the night ahead (none were isotonic), good to see such meticulous preparation for a big match at such a tender age.

Stmalachy

Milltownrow-is it true that you kicked Ballinderry's ass in a friendly game on Sunday?

milltown row

we won by 2 points in a meaningless friendly, few boys missing from us and mcGuckin missing for Ballinderry.

saffron sam2

Quote from: milltown row on September 11, 2007, 08:36:39 AM
we won by 2 points in a meaningless friendly, few boys missing from us and mcGuckin missing for Ballinderry.

Meaningless yes, but highly lucrative also. And in doing so, you disgraced the Antrim senior hurling championship.  Shame.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

milltown row

your such a tit saff, you have a real boner for Naomh Gall.

saffron sam2

Quote from: milltown row on September 11, 2007, 09:30:49 AM
your such a tit saff, you have a real boner for Naomh Gall.
Don't shoot the messenger man.  You can tell the rest of the board the whole details.  The personal abuse only highlights the weakness of your position.

By the way, your denotes possession, in the same way as my, his, her, its etc.  You should have used you're or you are instead.

milltown row

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

what position? and (you are) the one with the personal attacks regarding grammar, get a life man, get your head out of the dictionary.

cant wait for my mistakes to be highlighted again

imtommygunn

Sam what is your problem with St Galls? (yes your)

You seemed to have a big rant about them and the Paddy Cunningham transfer and then proceeded to tell us that you already knew it wasn't happening! Somewhat bitter about something me thinks...

You highlighted numerous transfers - some of which were St Galls but not too many - so why do you not have the same issue with other clubs making transfers as you have with St Galls?

saffron sam2

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 11, 2007, 12:01:49 PM
Sam what is your problem with St Galls? (yes your)
Absolutely no problem with St. Gall's - I have even taken their side in some debates on this board.  In fact, some high profile club members have sat beside me whilst I posted their thoughts about St. Gall's on the board.  I do have a problem with many specific things within the GAA - I will have no bother highlighting these at any time.  If these involve St. Gall's, St. Paul's, Lamh Dhearg etc. it will make no difference. I am not a current member of any club in Belfast (although I have been repeatedly asked to join a certain one) so this gives me the opportunity to be totally objective about all issues.

You seemed to have a big rant about them and the Paddy Cunningham transfer and then proceeded to tell us that you already knew it wasn't happening! Somewhat bitter about something me thinks...
No what I said was
Quote from: saffron sam2 on September 07, 2007, 09:03:09 AM
Quote from: milltown row on September 06, 2007, 03:01:48 PM
if you know him so well then you would know that he  was not coming anyway
It seems that the transfer is not going to go through which is the correct course of action.
Don't try to misquote me.  I highlighted the transfer because it was topical and indictitive of (IMNSHO) of a general problem in Antrim. Had the transfer involved any other two clubs in the county I would still have highlighted it.

You highlighted numerous transfers - some of which were St Galls but not too many - so why do you not have the same issue with other clubs making transfers as you have with St Galls?
Unfortunately, you have not been on the board long enough to remember the debate I had with SlimShady about Cargin's transfer dealings.  My position was the same then as now. I highlighted the Cunningham story now because it is current and I could verfiy the truth of the situation.  For example, I have not discussed the alleged Magill transfer, because it is simply a rumour.  If this is a genuine story, then my opinion and force of argument would be identical. Likewise my position on all the transfers I highlighted is the same - I would have been against them all.  But since we're on it, the worst transfer in my list was McQuillan's - how can you justify leaving a club one year and returing the next.  The GAA rule book doesn't allow that.

I am also entitled to highlight a situation where a club will play a virtual reserve team in a senior championship hurling match to allow their footballers to play a challenge game, a game in which allegedly there was a considerable purse available to the winners.  Do you think this is right?

You may not like what I write, but you will get consistency.

I also think you made a few reasonable points regarding transfers and the city, but I haven't completed my submissions regarding these.  I will in due time.