Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milltown row

ok paul close not a corner back but will we win with this team? looks strong enough and Sean Kelly played well against the Lamhs and CJ was a class apart, will the Cargin boys be up for the match considering the defeat to St Pauls?

and where is Slim? must be on Holiday :P

milltown row

in Antrim it was never really about how good you were, it was who liked you, personally.

have they had any challenge games lately or what has training been like?

Balboa

I hope there is some sort of civic reception arranged when our lads beat the mighty men from Wicklow, maybe an open top bus tour up the Andytown road finishing at Casement. Anything less would be a total insult to the players and their achievement in beating Kilkenny, London, Outer Mongolia, Rathlin Island and Clare.

Square Ball

Quote from: Balboa on August 01, 2007, 07:03:22 PM
I hope there is some sort of civic reception arranged when our lads beat the mighty men from Wicklow, maybe an open top bus tour up the Andytown road finishing at Casement. Anything less would be a total insult to the players and their achievement in beating Kilkenny, London, Outer Mongolia, Rathlin Island and Clare.

I sense a little sarcasm here Balboa, not a big fan then?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Balboa

Quote from: Square Ball on August 01, 2007, 07:51:37 PM
Quote from: Balboa on August 01, 2007, 07:03:22 PM

I sense a little sarcasm here Balboa, not a big fan then?

I just think the competition is a load of bollocks and does not benefit anyone. I think when Kilkenny entered the competition it lost whatever little credibility it had.

milltown row

a bit like the Christy ring cup and Rackard cup then :-\

Balboa

Quote from: milltown row on August 02, 2007, 08:35:13 AM
a bit like the Christy ring cup and Rackard cup then :-\

I think the Rackard & Ring have probably more to offer,especially this year. This was Armagh's first Ulster Championship in years and they have now a final in Croke Park so there is obviously good work being done & the Ring & Rackard involve teams that do not play in their provincial championship so the extra games are a bonus.

Maximus Marillius

Where is Slim Shady?                                       Where is Slim Shady?[[

culchy1

rocky, the competition maybe is treated as a pile of horse manure by most, some in other counties dont even know the final is on this weekend or who is playing.
we are in it for a reason, we play div 4 football next year.
but jody gormley and the senior panel are using it to try and improve themselves and fair dues they have got their big day out in croker, how many of us can say theyve been there, done it and got the t-shirt.
and IF they beat wicklow, which i hope to god they do, but i wudnt underestimate any mick o'dwyer team, they get a trip to america.
so tell me if you were on the county panel would you want to play in tommy murphy cup ?

NEWSFLASH

There has been a sighting of one white cocasian male, who goes by the name of The Real Slim Shady!
He was last seen entering a cinema in the toome area, wearing a Homer Simpson mask! ;D ;)

A Quinn Martin Production

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step..." 8)
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Maximus Marillius

I think that Jody deserves great credit for getting the Antrim players to have the interest to play and win this competion. Winning breeds confidence and creates an atmosphere of progress which other less interested players who have good ability might want to connitt to properly to Antrim advantage. Hope they win.

culchy1

did my eyes deceive me, max hopes antrim win!  :o

antrim have a good group of dedicated players who have been training since oct or nov time, this is their reward for their committment, lets hope it pays off.
i dont agree with certain players being back on the panel, just because they thought their was a chance of glory. the like of mark dummy runs dougan an big mihall duck eggs an blue moulded sodas magill. they undoubtedly have the talent, but i personally think they're only there for the good time.
but its up to jody to decide that.

also max i hope derry get tore into those scummy bigheaded dubs, i would be glad to see them gettin put out. they think because they have won 3 leinster titles in a row they are world beaters. they in my mind are not unbeatable in croke park.

A Quinn Martin Production

Agree 100% with Maximus, OK the Tommy Murphy does not set the world alight but don't forget we're in it becasue we're a Div 4 team!  I've been championship games where the match was there to be won by Antrim and we ended up losing by 3 or 4 points...one of the reasons IMHO was that we weren't used to winning.  We need to gid rid of the glorious failure mindset and build a squad used to winning and the TMC is as good a place to start as any.  I remind people of the Mickey Harte mantra that "We try to win every competition we're in".
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Edge of the Square

I have to say, its great news to see boys like Magill and Dougan back on the panel. (Just wish McGourty was there too! :o ;)). Coming up to championship time v derry you'd hardly have knew one player on the bench bar the lads from Antrims Division 1 clubs. I know Magill isnt a Division 1 player but hes already proved his class v Fermanagh and in the National League campaign of 2006 that preceeded that game. Basically, Antrim need the best players from their top flight clubs in their team. Unfortunately after Division 1, there is nothing left to pick from, no Stevie Macs in the Saffron county, just wannabes who are happy collecting the tracksuit and a 10 min appearance at the end of a meaningless national League game.

give her long

What is quite apparent culchy1 is that the fact that dougan and magill are there hurts you in some way or you have some sort of infactuation with them.  Perhaps you are below them in the subs list?????.  Edge of the square made a good point - if them two lads being there have stopped two players getting their tracksuits then what has the gaa come too.  The lads are there for ability,  'dummy runs' and 'duck eggs' may not be the best players in the county but they are in the top three at least.