The ulster rugby trial

Started by caprea, February 01, 2018, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StGallsGAA

Quote from: straightred on February 03, 2018, 12:17:01 AM
Quote from: Orior on February 02, 2018, 08:55:35 PM
It's a very obvious tactic by the defence lawyers, trying to blacken the victims modus operandi. The rugby players are guilty but I just wish she had been a little more cautious in her night out. It would have a lot of trouble all round.

I dont know if they are guilty or not and hopefully the trial and jury get that right. What I do know is that a series of rotten txts were exchanged afterwards and that in itself is unbecoming of a professional sport person. The fact that a current irish captain then sees fit to support the authors of same txts from the gallery is just baffling. Its not too late to drop Best but i fear they won't. its a clear message from the IRFU to the alleged victim "we don't believe you". Not good enough

WTF is that supposed to mean?  The term "professional" in sporting terms does not infer any higher echelon of education or intelligence!

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: Syferus on February 03, 2018, 12:44:08 AM
Frank you need to stop digging.

Digging what you clown..I've said consistently I haven't made my mind up on myverdict.  I've asked you numerous times about certain points you've raised and you avoid answering.

One example...do you accept vaginal brusing/bleeding is no indication of non consensual sex.
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

seafoid

Quote from: StGallsGAA on February 03, 2018, 01:53:25 AM
It's a very obvious tactic by the defence lawyers, trying to blacken the victims modus operandi. The rugby players are guilty but I just wish she had been a little more cautious in her night out. It would have a lot of trouble all round.

I dont know if they are guilty or not and hopefully the trial and jury get that right. What I do know is that a series of rotten txts were exchanged afterwards and that in itself is unbecoming of a professional sport person. The fact that a current irish captain then sees fit to support the authors of same txts from the gallery is just baffling. Its not too late to drop Best but i fear they won't. its a clear message from the IRFU to the alleged victim "we don't believe you". Not good enough

WTF is that supposed to mean?  The term "professional" in sporting terms does not infer any higher echelon of education or intelligence!
Hanging around all day training is probably correlated with the opposite.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dinny Breen

The Kangaroo Court that this thread has turned into is really allowing people display their prejudices and societal insecurities.
#newbridgeornowhere

bennydorano

It's the same on every thread that raises the pulse.

seafoid

The lady is pretty sharp. Be interesting to see if the boys have the smarts.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/it-was-like-i-wasnt-there-court-hears-police-tape-of-alleged-rugby-rape-victim-36562922.html

When she said she could not remember parts of her night out in the club, the lawyer asked her: "Do you typically forget things when you have been drinking?"

She responded: "I don't remember every single moment of a night out. Clubs are busy places.

"You don't remember blow-by-blow exactly what you did.

"When you go for a night out you are not expecting to be in court detailing every second of it."

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

longballin

Am I missing something but whats the accusation that she went out to meet celebrities?  Loads of people like Fearon do thst hanging around looking their pic took with celebrities etc. Whether she wanted to meet them or not.. so?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: seafoid on February 03, 2018, 10:02:02 AM
The lady is pretty sharp. Be interesting to see if the boys have the smarts.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/it-was-like-i-wasnt-there-court-hears-police-tape-of-alleged-rugby-rape-victim-36562922.html

When she said she could not remember parts of her night out in the club, the lawyer asked her: "Do you typically forget things when you have been drinking?"

She responded: "I don't remember every single moment of a night out. Clubs are busy places.

"You don't remember blow-by-blow exactly what you did.

"When you go for a night out you are not expecting to be in court detailing every second of it."

Pretty sharp but also well coached.

This is a real Golden Goose. Are for the PPS. Some of the stuff floating about 'off the record' is shocking. There are real difficulties for the prosecution but why would a young girl put hers of through this amount of personal scrutiny if there was nothing in it. Also despite what people might think the majority, and I mean vast majority, of cases that go to trial are on the basis of a very strong chance of proving guilt. There are 'political' cases taken and I do believe there is an element of that here but reading behind the headlines and the glib commentary there is a real case here and I believe that the defendants are genuinely risking time in jail. There will be twists and turns but some of the evidence so far is very damning.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: straightred on February 03, 2018, 12:24:18 AM
Quote from: screenexile on February 03, 2018, 12:22:28 AM

Talk about the mother of all over reactions!! I doubt the reaction would have been half this were it not for social media.

Best and Henderson have done NOTHING wrong...

I take it you don't have daughter(s). You might just see it a little different it you did. I'll leave it at that.

Ive two daughters , your point is?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Avondhu star

I think the text between herself and her pal will damage her. It's the defence barristers job to test her evidence and that's why she's getting a roasting in the witness box
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

HiMucker

Quote from: Avondhu star on February 03, 2018, 10:49:30 AM

I think the text between herself and her pal will damage her. It's the defence barristers job to test her evidence and that's why she's getting a roasting in the witness box
what was the text been herself and the pal that could cause problems?

Syferus

Avondhu Star is taking a very, shall we say, unique reading of the texts.

The woman is nailing the defence lawyer's attempts to discredit her and more power to her for being able to withstand such a pathetic line of questioning with reasoned and sensible answers. The defence is fruitlessly looking for a reaction.

caprea

I got whatsapps last night of Facebook pictures of the complainant. I also got screenshots of random text messages exchanged saying these claim are fabricated.

If this lady has been raped you really got to feel sick for her.

David McKeown

It's truly amazing the insight that people seem to be able to gather about the trial based on reading a three paragraph report on two or three questions asked or answers given over the course of a days questioning. The simple fact is that unless you've been at the trial, been able to hear the evidence it's impossible to know the strength of any evidence given so far. I've run cases which I've subsequently read about in the press or seen on TV which have been unrecognisable to me.

Personally I won't ever be making a determination of the guilt or innocence of these or any other defendants unless I've had an opportunity to consider all the evidence. I know plenty will, but come the end of this trial all I will know is what the Jury have decided and I'll take it from there.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Avondhu star

Quote from: Syferus on February 03, 2018, 11:49:21 AM
Avondhu Star is taking a very, shall we say, unique reading of the texts.

The woman is nailing the defence lawyer's attempts to discredit her and more power to her for being able to withstand such a pathetic line of questioning with reasoned and sensible answers. The defence is fruitlessly looking for a reaction.
The text I refer to is the one from a friend of hers which tells her to let on she didn't know they were Ulster rugby players. Why would she need to do that?
The text between the accused just shows that they had sex with her and were bragging about it
There was no mention of a cover up of that activity
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you