Businesses the have acted the cnut during the Coronavirus Outbreak

Started by Franko, March 25, 2020, 11:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will it ever end

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 29, 2020, 12:42:20 AM
Not according to 3 lads I know work in CC. It's a fact and the media was contacted about it. Be handy if they actual tell workers they were taking the money of them. Is concrete products a essential trade at the minute. If there's work there,  they must come in. Or the other option is time off on the sick at less than a hundred a week. 10% paid cut to men working over a certain level, The pay cut backed at least a week to the guys I was talking.

I'd have thought concrete products would be essential if serving infrastructure projects - the A6 roadworks are still ongoing less than a mile away from Creagh? They'll also be required for the major works for the field hospitals - albeit on a reduced scale.

Creagh from their recent accounts run on extremely small bargains - around 3% from memory - they can't afford to pay this or they won't be around when we come out the other side of that.

Moreover they'd be so much more clarity if the executive came out and gave a definitive list for closures that can then moved forward to furlough, which employees are assuming they're able to avail from - this pitting employee's against employers is horrendous at this time.

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 29, 2020, 10:07:37 AM
If you were an employer (forget about their supposed yearly earnings and profits) and you'd no business during this period what do you do?

Continue to pay people full wage

Or restructure your business to enable your staff to have something and a job at the end of it?

I've been off from last week, we'll be furloughed from 1st of April, we've been given a very generous package but it'll last till June then be reviewed and we've basically lost our holidays for the year to enable them to give us a wage, we've been guaranteed our jobs at the end of this. I'm ver happy but still if we don't open in June or July I'd be very concerned.

To give you another example one very successful cafe in Belfast, Grapevine just shut their doors and business Friday last, all laid off, the place was full every day, but you can't make money to pay rates bills electric wages overheads. My neighbour worked there and lost her job. She's had businesses in the past she knew it wasn't viable

I was saying this last week - even if a business gets 80% of wages paid, surely there's not much future for them as there is nothing coming in for 2/3 months?

They have outgoings, loan repayments and insurance etc. so even though workers are getting paid, it'll be hard for the business to start up again.

Last Caress

Quote from: Will it ever end on March 29, 2020, 10:15:53 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 29, 2020, 12:42:20 AM
Not according to 3 lads I know work in CC. It's a fact and the media was contacted about it. Be handy if they actual tell workers they were taking the money of them. Is concrete products a essential trade at the minute. If there's work there,  they must come in. Or the other option is time off on the sick at less than a hundred a week. 10% paid cut to men working over a certain level, The pay cut backed at least a week to the guys I was talking.

I'd have thought concrete products would be essential if serving infrastructure projects - the A6 roadworks are still ongoing less than a mile away from Creagh? They'll also be required for the major works for the field hospitals - albeit on a reduced scale.

Creagh from their recent accounts run on extremely small bargains - around 3% from memory - they can't afford to pay this or they won't be around when we come out the other side of that.

Moreover they'd be so much more clarity if the executive came out and gave a definitive list for closures that can then moved forward to furlough, which employees are assuming they're able to avail from - this pitting employee's against employers is horrendous at this time.
https://t.co/WzmElK6imU?amp=1
This is the legislation drawn up by stormont. Page 13 Part 3 indicates those businesses that can continue to operate ( albeit with restrictions) . Building supplies are among this. Not a bed time read.

clarshack

Wonder if Creagh Concrete would accept 90% of what I owe them  ;)

Will it ever end

The reality with Creagh & many other like them is they can't sustain paying wages with no income - if they do it'll ultimately end with the company failing & those hundreds employed will have no jobs to return to.

They like many others have been placed in an impossible position not by their making.  Edwin Poots (I shudder for saying this) highlighted it quite clearly this morning.

The Furlough process has been a shambles for manufacturing & construction right from the start & hasn't been explained to this point by our elected representatives.

marty34

Quote from: clarshack on March 29, 2020, 01:31:49 PM
Wonder if Creagh Concrete would accept 90% of what I owe them  ;)

In fairness to CC and companies like them, I'd say they are owed serious money around the country down through the years i.e. lads not paying them and then going bust etc. during the recession.

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: marty34 on March 29, 2020, 11:08:40 AM
If you were an employer (forget about their supposed yearly earnings and profits) and you'd no business during this period what do you do?

Or restructure your business to enable your staff to have something and a job at the end of it?

I've been off from last week, we'll be furloughed from 1st of April, we've been given a very generous package but it'll last till June then be reviewed and we've basically lost our holidays for the year to enable them to give us a wage, we've been guaranteed our jobs at the end of this. I'm ver happy but still if we don't open in June or July I'd be very concerned.

To give you another example one very successful cafe in Belfast, Grapevine just shut their doors and business Friday last, all laid off, the place was full every day, but you can't make money to pay rates bills electric wages overheads. My neighbour worked there and lost her job. She's had businesses in the past she knew it wasn't viable

I was saying this last week - even if a business gets 80% of wages paid, surely there's not much future for them as there is nothing coming in for 2/3 months?

They have outgoings, loan repayments and insurance etc. so even though workers are getting paid, it'll be hard for the business to start up again.

this is where running a business on small margins and credit falls down, the smart, properly managed companies are very liquid and can cope with the stoppage. Ryanair for instance has 4 billion in cash available  ;)

gallsman

It's amazing on this board how much people love to criticise and abuse but once things get a little bit too close to home for comfort, everyone is up in arms about defamation and legal consequences.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on March 29, 2020, 04:21:40 PM
Quote from: marty34 on March 29, 2020, 11:08:40 AM

this is where running a business on small margins and credit falls down, the smart, properly managed companies are very liquid and can cope with the stoppage. Ryanair for instance has 4 billion in cash available  ;)

What small business has 4 billion handy?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gallsman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 29, 2020, 04:49:04 PM

Running a business on small margins is not the same as running a small business.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gallsman on March 29, 2020, 04:50:19 PM

Running a business on small margins is not the same as running a small business.

So if I owned a coffee cafe place,  had four workers managed to get a wage pay wages and rates and so on and the margins are about 4% profit after that that's not great?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gallsman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 29, 2020, 04:56:18 PM

So if I owned a coffee cafe place,  had four workers managed to get a wage pay wages and rates and so on and the margins are about 4% profit after that that's not great?

At a time like this? Evidently not. Ever read, or even heard of, The Black Swan?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gallsman on March 29, 2020, 05:08:31 PM

At a time like this? Evidently not. Ever read, or even heard of, The Black Swan?

No one prepared for a time like this, people have the balls to give it a go and making a living out of working for themselves and earning a living for their local employees. If you had that attitude you'd never try and own a business

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 29, 2020, 05:27:21 PM
Quote from: gallsman on March 29, 2020, 05:08:31 PM

No one prepared for a time like this, people have the balls to give it a go and making a living out of working for themselves and earning a living for their local employees. If you had that attitude you'd never try and own a business

you have to hedge for uncertain times though, this is certainly worst case scenario, but fail to prepare, prepare to fail and all that  8).
banks are mainly to blame having said that, far too much easy credit still