Croagh Patrick climb this time of year

Started by Oraisteach, March 09, 2015, 06:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oraisteach

I have friends and family making the climb at the end of March.  Have never done it myself, but would like to hear from people who have.  What's it like?  Is it worth it?

FL/MAYO

The most difficult part is the last section just before the summit, if you are in average physical shape it should not be a problem. It will take 2 hours approx to get to the top and it is well worth it. When you get back down head to Campbells pub for a well deserved pint.

whitey

Unfortunately your question is like asking how long is a piece of string. It all depends on the day. Regardless, bring extra layers, snacks, charged cell phone and wear hiking boots-not sneakers.

It must be one of the most spectacular views on Ireland and well worth it

I whod say you would need to be moderately fit to attempt it

macdanger2

Yeah, if you're used to doing any sort of exercise, it'll be no bother. Even if you're not, you'll still manage it if you want to. Check the weather forecast before you set off obviously.

The view from Mweelrea is probably nicer IMO

Oraisteach

Thanks for the input, lads, and now for a 'pressing' question.  Is there a toilet at the oratory?

moysider

Yeah. There are toilets.
All good advice here already. Don t climb alone - even in these days of cell phones. Wear hiking gear and bring a hiking stick or an ash plant. It s as good as a third leg. Unless you are a climber, prepare to be sore afterwards. Even if you are fit, you ll be tiring muscles you don t usually use.

sans pessimism

Climbed it 2 weeks ago.It was cold but dry.There was snow at the top.Oratory is not normally open(it was closed on the Saturday I was there).As has been said,hiking boots,strong hazel stick,and warm clothes are essential-the amount of people climbing with just runners beggared belief.It is lethal near the top if you have unsuitable footwear..Enjoy it,as its a wonderful way to spend a few hours.
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Hardy

I thought people climbed it in their bare feet.

moysider

Only a few hardy Meath men - originally from Mayo of course, attempt that any more.

sans pessimism

Quote from: moysider on March 09, 2015, 10:27:03 PM

Only a few hardy Meath men - originally from Mayo of course, attempt that any more.
Meath lads climb in wellies....someone told them they would meet the odd stray sheep along the way
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Hardy

Sorry for the uninformed inquiry. We don' t know much about mountains around our parts. Even less about sheep, indeed. Still a genuine question - how do I reconcile the apparent contradiction between stories of female octogenarians sprinting barefoot up the reek and recommendations here about mountaineering gear, Sherpas, and what not?

macdanger2

Quote from: Hardy on March 10, 2015, 08:30:34 AM
Sorry for the uninformed inquiry. We don' t know much about mountains around our parts. Even less about sheep, indeed. Still a genuine question - how do I reconcile the apparent contradiction between stories of female octogenarians sprinting barefoot up the reek and recommendations here about mountaineering gear, Sherpas, and what not?

Hire a barefoot, octogenarian female sherpa to carry all your mountaineering gear, it'll ease your conscience about national womens day n all  ;D

Tubberman

The 'cone' section before the summit has got a lot worse in recent years from what I can see . I climbed it last summer and it's now very hard to get a proper footing a lot of the way up the steep final section. With the loose rock and people travelling in opposite directions along a narrow path, it becomes dangerous at times.
I was wearing runners so that didn't help, but I had done it multiple times before wearing runners, but I was probably younger and lighter then I suppose ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Denn Forever

Make sure you go on a clear/bright day.  It's a bummer when all you can see for miles is Clouds.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

BennyCake

Can it be done in trainers in good weather? If not, how much would a pair of hiking/walking boots cost?