The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

As per, for those interested:

Bielsa's press conference starting. On the international break: "We had a group of players who needed to get some rest. Another group needed the opposite thing. The third group were the international players, who we need back."

Bielsa says Roofe, Hernandez and Berardi are all back and available for Blackburn.

Bielsa says Harrison is out of Blackburn. He has a muscular injury and will be back next week. Ayling (banned) and Douglas (hamstring) also missing

Bielsa on whether Pontus Jansson will figure, with his baby on the way: "We'll see what happens.

Bielsa on Jansson's post-match comments about Jeremy Simpson: "I would have preferred that Pontus didn't say that. The referee is a colleague of both teams. His task is very difficult. If we understand the role of the referee, we will help him."

Our role on the bench allows us more serenity. I think if Pontus had had time to think about it, he wouldn't have said the same thing. But I understand players when they make effort on the pitch and they think their treatment isn't fair."

Bielsa says he has been focusing on offensive work during the international break - on ways to open the opposition up. Says Blackburn have a "good balance between skills and being competitive

Asked Bielsa about the donation he's made to help fund a new training facility at Newell's Old boys. Says they're the "club who made me" and it's "me repaying a debt, not giving a donation.

Bielsa on whether Hernandez being back in the team could help Samuel Saiz: "Pablo has a positive influence on all of the team. Saiz is part of the team. They can be independent of each other

Saiz

Saiz up next. On his form this year compared to last: "I think this season I'm more collective. I'm less of an individual, I work more for the team. I don't score as many goals as I wish but I don't do the individual actions I used to do. I think I've improved on other aspects."

Saiz: "This year all the players are playing better. We combine better with the teammates. We have a different style of play. We always control the game. We want to be the protagonist in each game.

Saiz on whether it's difficult without Hernandez, in terms of creative responsibility: "When Pablo plays, I'm not always the player who receives the first pass. Pablo makes good movements to receive the first ball too. Of course I prefer that Pablo plays. I can have more freedom"

Saiz on the difficulties of last season: "Every year you have good moments and bad moments but when you play at Elland Road and you see all the fans supporting you, it gives you the strength to keep working and do better things.

Saiz admitted his motivation levels dropped last season when the play-offs got out of reach. Says he's been honest with himself about that. "It's a problem I can't have again."

Saiz says that last season, because opposition players didn't know him, he had more freedom. "This season I always have a marker on me. I'm always surrounded. This is football

Saiz: "I feel better because Marcelo made the whole team be more aggressive from a football point of view. We're aggressive playing football. We trust each other more. Thanks to all this is I feel more safe and I'm less aggressive - apart from the football.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

I'm sitting happy, we had a tough run, we reacted well to going a goal down to Millwall compared to last year, Birmingham we didnt play well but did enough to deserve a draw, Hull win was huge but they were poor, for me losing roofe, hernandez, bamford etc.. would of buried us but this year we are pretty much unscathed, id expect us to go on a bit of roll now that roofe and hernandez are back. Ayling and harrison are a loss but berardi back to helps. Hopefully beat Blackburn on Sat, debating whether i get up at 4am saturday morning to watch it. Ironically most early kick offs i spontaneously wake up without an alarm just at kickoff. The wife isn't as impressed as I am with that ;D MOT
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Mourne Rover

Leeds are apparently due to take 7,000 fans to Blackburn, the biggest away support in the division so far this season. However,  it is a 12 noon kick off and a bus and train strike has been called, so it could be bedlam on the way. Bielsa has a few big calls to make but is always decisive. Alioski could switch to left back with Berardi on the other side if Jansson is available in the middle. Hernandez and Dallas are the probable wide midfielders and there must be a chance that Roberts will be retained up front with Roofe kept on the bench.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on October 19, 2018, 05:38:12 PM
I'm sitting happy.......for me losing roofe, hernandez, bamford etc.. would of buried us but this year we are pretty much unscathed,

I hope you don't mind me saying Sligonian but that is a definite 'glass half full' interpretation. Check out the link below which gives a great insight into recent form.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:championship/form/matches:6/type:home-and-away

Our recent form has us outside the play off places at the moment. I definitely think the missing players have had a major impact and getting them back is a necessity.

Insane Bolt

Rufus T Firefly

Was following the live updates on the BBC Sports page and Blackburn seemed worth their win, despite the fact Leeds had something like 68% possession. The Derby match seems a long time ago now.

Mourne Rover

Rufus was clearly correct to point out in advance that Leeds are on a poor run and we cannot complain about today's result. Leeds were extremely fortunate to be level at HT and, while we improved considerably in the second half, we need to start picking up a couple of wins urgently. The back to back home games coming up against Ipswich and Forest are starting to look crucial.

Mourne Rover

This season is clearly going to be a white knuckle ride for Leeds and yesterday was by some distance the worst performance to date. While West Brom are a decent side, Leeds made it very easy for them by repeatedly giving the ball away in key areas. Bielsa has stayed strongly loyal to his main players but the two NI internationals, Peacock- Farrell and Dallas, are likely to be heading for a spell on the bench.  Alioski has also been ineffective so, with back to back home games coming up after the international break against struggling opposition in Bristol City and Reading, a couple of changes could get us up and running again.

BennyHarp

Leeds started the season playing a really high intensity high pressing game, turning over possession high up the pitch and scoring loads of goals. Teams seem to have copped on to this and are letting them have possession. Their possession stats in recent weeks have been ridiculous- 70% or so v West Brom. At the minute they seem to be struggling to make the best use of the possession they have.
That was never a square ball!!

Rufus T Firefly

I think scoring options are quite poor at the moment. The loss of Bamford was huge and has come to really bite us now that Roofe's goals have dried up. Alioski is contributing little as well. Ayling is a huge loss as Dallas to me doesn't look up to this standard. I'd accept that Peacock-Farrell got off to a good start this season but I've always been of the opinion that Jamal Blackman is the best keeper at the Club, and by some distance. Peacock-Farrell's mistake on Saturday evening was the moment any possibility of a comeback was gone. Overall a poor performance with Forshaw - IMHO - the best Leeds' player on the pitch by a country mile.

I'm open to correction on this, but I think in a recent interview Bielsa suggested that there would not be heavy spending in January, but to my mind fresh blood in will be essential, particularly as our competitors will also be investing and the shallow nature of our squad leaves us vulnerable when we get one or two injuries. 

Rufus T Firefly

To follow up my own post previously, I see that Jamal Blackman suffered a broken leg playing for the Under 23s and has now returned to Chelsea. That represents a significant blow as I felt he would have been in line to challenge Peacock-Farrell for the number one spot, at a time when Peacock-Farrell is beginning to show frailties. 

Rufus T Firefly

Important three points at the weekend although made hard work of it. Only began dominating when Bristol City went down to ten men. Next up is Reading at home (tomorrow night) which is a game we need to be winning.

The injury list is a cause for concern, as the depth of the squad is not great. There were two debutants on Saturday - Will Huffer in goals and Aapo Halme in defence. The tougher games are likely to expose inexperience, so be very interested to see if there is further investment in January.

seafoid

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on November 12, 2018, 07:58:07 AM
I think scoring options are quite poor at the moment. The loss of Bamford was huge and has come to really bite us now that Roofe's goals have dried up. Alioski is contributing little as well. Ayling is a huge loss as Dallas to me doesn't look up to this standard. I'd accept that Peacock-Farrell got off to a good start this season but I've always been of the opinion that Jamal Blackman is the best keeper at the Club, and by some distance. Peacock-Farrell's mistake on Saturday evening was the moment any possibility of a comeback was gone. Overall a poor performance with Forshaw - IMHO - the best Leeds' player on the pitch by a country mile.

I'm open to correction on this, but I think in a recent interview Bielsa suggested that there would not be heavy spending in January, but to my mind fresh blood in will be essential, particularly as our competitors will also be investing and the shallow nature of our squad leaves us vulnerable when we get one or two injuries.
According to this website TV money is  77m in the premiership

https://www.totalsportek.com/money/premier-league-prize-money/

The return on capital on say 15m would be great.
On the other hand Bielsa is a top manager. Maybe Leeds have a 3 year plan and the goal for the team this year is experience. A long term plan is more likely to deliver sustainable results.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: seafoid on November 26, 2018, 01:06:25 PM
On the other hand Bielsa is a top manager. Maybe Leeds have a 3 year plan and the goal for the team this year is experience. A long term plan is more likely to deliver sustainable results.

I'm never sure about long term plans in the Championship. The whole league is so fluid, with teams dropping down from the Premier League with their parachute payments, that it is difficult to plan effectively on a long term basis. Essentially, the time is now and I'd be keen that every effort be put in to making it happen this year, particularly as we have a brilliant manager, a decent squad and have got off to a good start.

seafoid

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on November 26, 2018, 02:12:37 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 26, 2018, 01:06:25 PM

I'm never sure about long term plans in the Championship. The whole league is so fluid, with teams dropping down from the Premier League with their parachute payments, that it is difficult to plan effectively on a long term basis. Essentially, the time is now and I'd be keen that every effort be put in to making it happen this year, particularly as we have a brilliant manager, a decent squad and have got off to a good start.
On that basis, Rufus, one would expect a few purchases in the next window
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU