The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser Söze

Personally, I think having an experienced, proven and deep thinking coach (with a pedigree at both underage and adult level) involved with one of our teams is well down the list of our problems.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Zooming around

Quote from: Keyser Söze on October 12, 2021, 10:56:37 PM
Personally, I think having an experienced, proven and deep thinking coach (with a pedigree at both underage and adult level) involved with one of our teams is well down the list of our problems.

So you're happy that our teams have regressed so far under this experienced, proven and deep thinking coach?

Keyser Söze

No.
But correlation and causation are entirely different matters.

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on October 13, 2021, 05:03:40 PM
No.
But correlation and causation are entirely different matters.

Yourself and McGrath are well met

Using big words which offer nothing

Next you'll be using Derek's favourite word

"Learnings"

The reality is that McGrath would be gone in a shot if anything else was offered to him in any other county,

that fact that nothing else is on offer says it all.

Meanwhile Offaly with a smaller population and a smaller number of clubs are getting their act together at underage in both codes.

Keyser Söze

Hi ClonadMad,
Nice to hear from you.

I'll translate it for you.
Somebody being present in any given situation does not mean that they are the cause of a problem.

I've no vested interest in McGrath continuing or otherwise.
I do know from speaking to members of the panel over the past two years that there is high regard for the work he does and his approach. Likewise to members of management teams.
I do know of at least one member of a management team who wouldn't be a fan of his. That person is no longer involved. If I had a choice between the two (having seen both in action with teams) it would be McGrath all day.

McGrath's approach worked at underage, schools and adult InterCounty level in the very recent past. Before you ask, my definition of "worked" = Teams performed above the level they had previously been performing and reached stages of the championship that they have failed to reach since.

If the reason for underperforming was as simple as Derek McGrath that would be great.
Continually reducing the size of the panel and the number of players involved over 3-4 years between the ages of 13 and 17 was a large part of the problem with the performance two years ago.
I don't know exactly what went wrong last year.

Have a nice evening,

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on October 13, 2021, 06:50:10 PM
Hi ClonadMad,
Nice to hear from you.

I'll translate it for you.
Somebody being present in any given situation does not mean that they are the cause of a problem.

I've no vested interest in McGrath continuing or otherwise.
I do know from speaking to members of the panel over the past two years that there is high regard for the work he does and his approach. Likewise to members of management teams.
I do know of at least one member of a management team who wouldn't be a fan of his. That person is no longer involved. If I had a choice between the two (having seen both in action with teams) it would be McGrath all day.

McGrath's approach worked at underage, schools and adult InterCounty level in the very recent past. Before you ask, my definition of "worked" = Teams performed above the level they had previously been performing and reached stages of the championship that they have failed to reach since.

If the reason for underperforming was as simple as Derek McGrath that would be great.
Continually reducing the size of the panel and the number of players involved over 3-4 years between the ages of 13 and 17 was a large part of the problem with the performance two years ago.
I don't know exactly what went wrong last year.

Have a nice evening,

No need to translate for me I know exactly what it  means

So after 2 years of Derek and using your definition of "worked"

It hasn't worked here

Unfortunately

Keyser Söze

Hi Clonadmad,
Nice to hear from you.

You could indeed argue that it hasn't worked here.
You could also argue that it is as likely to work as any other management team.
As I mentioned earlier, identifying the root of the underperformance of the past 2 years as Derek McGrath may well be oversimplifying it.

Were nominations sought for minor management? Were any alternative management teams nominated?

Have a nice evening.

Zooming around

Quote from: Keyser Söze on October 13, 2021, 08:20:05 PM
Hi Clonadmad,
Nice to hear from you.

You could indeed argue that it hasn't worked here.
You could also argue that it is as likely to work as any other management team.

As I mentioned earlier, identifying the root of the underperformance of the past 2 years as Derek McGrath may well be oversimplifying it.

Were nominations sought for minor management? Were any alternative management teams nominated?

Have a nice evening.

First point is quite clear and doesn't need much argument.

On the second point, nobody could have possibly done worse so it is quite unlikely to have worked as well as any other.

Zooming around

Was the Setanta program in operation this year?

Robbo

Quote from: Zooming around on October 18, 2021, 04:47:38 PM

Has the Setanta programme been in place in the last decade?

Laois Rising

Those who have been involved with Laois minor hurling panels have all been complimentary of the work that McGrath has done. He was not the manager of this side so for lads to come on here and blame him for results is unfair to say the least. I'd be interested to see how those players progress after his coaching input at minor level. Certainly the U20 side gave an excellent account of themselves in Nowlan Park this year.

Laois man

I believe that McGarth has big contacts with a laois business man living in waterford. I don't think it's costing the county board anything so where is the problems? I no lads that have being on the minor panels and have only good things to say about him.

Zooming around

Quote from: Robbo on October 18, 2021, 05:09:03 PM
Quote from: Zooming around on October 18, 2021, 04:47:38 PM

Has the Setanta programme been in place in the last decade?

My sister's young lad was at it 3/4 years ago anyway. Can't remember hearing anything about it over the last year or two. 

Zooming around

Quote from: Laois Rising on October 19, 2021, 10:21:12 AM
Those who have been involved with Laois minor hurling panels have all been complimentary of the work that McGrath has done. He was not the manager of this side so for lads to come on here and blame him for results is unfair to say the least. I'd be interested to see how those players progress after his coaching input at minor level. Certainly the U20 side gave an excellent account of themselves in Nowlan Park this year.

I think it's very fair to blame the lad coaching the team day in day out for poor results and a huge regression in the bunch as a whole. Who else is to blame? The dry cleaner??

Laois man

Are you sure he was doing all the coaching? I seeing the minors train and there was other lads doing drills while McGarth looked on. Should be no bother to get a new County Chairman a lot of people on here know all the wrongs so they might be able to get it all right if they go for the chair 😂