Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

water boy

Loved the commentators quote yesterday " Looks like this man has killed a few bears." classic

Denn Forever

Watched the game on BBC.  Whats going to happen against Armagh?  Where will be played?

Will Johnson get as much freedom as he did yesterday?  How did he play against Armagh in the league?

Mackey got through a lot of work yesterday but was he playing a diversionary role?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 19, 2008, 11:43:52 AM
Watched the game on BBC.  Whats going to happen against Armagh?  Where will be played?

Will Johnson get as much freedom as he did yesterday?  How did he play against Armagh in the league?

Mackey got through a lot of work yesterday but was he playing a diversionary role?

In Breffini

he wont get near as much freedom, he will still get 4 or 5 points though id say.

Mackey was good in the most part and dropped deep as a sort of playmaking role,he sprayed some lovely ball about, but his man Scullion got on alot of ball aswell and only for bad decision making and delivery on his behalf,Cavan could have been in trouble a few times.

mylestheslasher

Anyone have any ideas why our FB line was so bad yesterday. Worst game I ever seen hannon play. We can be happy with the win and Keoghan must take some credit for making the right change at the right time in bringing on Mulvey, but Antrim are a very poor side. I think we need to revisit what way we approach Armagh. No point half injured McCabe standing in at FF on Francie Bellew. I'd go two man FF line and McCabe back into midfield with McDonald (who after a shakey start came into his own in the last 1/4). Mulvey is still an sub for me as I don't think he'd last a full 70 mins. We really could do with some size in the backs. Maybe Rabbitte if fit? I can't see us beating them unfortuantely but stranger things have happened and a bit of confidence and momentum can do wonders.

Hollow Man

QuoteI think we could see a change with McCabe going to full forward and someone else starting at midfield... I know Cullivan isn't in great shape at the moment, maybe Walsh or Mulvey? Could Jason make way?

We only have one option now, that is the low ball into space - in order to create that space, one of the full forwards will have to drop deep. Going on other games, I think Keogan sees Mackey as suitable for this role, which would be an awful move in my opinion.

Could we see McCabe on the edge of the square with Jason starting on the bench and Mackey out the field?

I had a feeling McCabe would be FF and Mackey round the middle, I think in fairness to the manager, both worked out OK and Mulvey played a stormer.

Johnston is outstanding, and with McDonald's surprisingly good showing freeing up Mccabe, we now have options up front. A win is an enormous confidence boost. Remember, the likes of McKeever, Sean Brady, Pierson, Cullivan, Podge, Fannin etc will be chomping at the bit now to get into the side.

We are starting to fit the profile of a team who could make a mild impact. As a reporter in the Indo stated the other day, there is always one surprise team in the qualifiers, it could be us this year. Johnston is in the top 5 attackers in Ireland at present, Flanagan and Martin Reilly are exceptional as well.

It's going to be much more physical the next day, and the full back line is a worry, but all in all I think we have made progress since last year judging on yesterday... At least we looked fit - this team is full of small, nippy players, so pace and fitness won't be an issue for once.

That's half the battle...

BallyhaiseMan

Concerning the next day

Barry Watters who done very well for his first game i think will almost certainly lose out to McKeever

or Could we see McKeever in the half back line?

i was impressed with the actual game plan, its a while since ive seen a clear game plan from a Cavan team thats worked.

Keoghan, Sheridan and the management deserve credit for that.

as for the full back line,
if ye remember back to when we played Armagh under wee Eamon, Darren Rabbitte kept Ronan Clarke completely out of the game , Clarke didnt get a sniff. Would it be risky to start Rabbitte in his first competitive game against such quality when he hasnt played at this level for 2 years?

id favour Podge on McDonald, as McDonald would be too strong aerially for Hannon in my opinion, hes magnificant under the high ball.

that would leave Hannon on probably Tony Kernan.

thats how i see it.

Mr. Pain

The man still has to walk.  >:(
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

Uladh

Quote from: boojangles on May 20, 2008, 01:03:52 PM
We beat Armagh handy enuf in the league I believe which isnt ideal and Im sure Armagh will b alot stronger come Championship.

eh?

cavanmaniac

Yeah one swallow won't make our summer I fear and when we meet a decent team alot of Keogan's shortcomings will resurface. Hell, even a poor Antrim side almost had the beating of us.

Does anyone know if the minor match will be a curtain raiser to the senior game on 15th or will it be postponed due to exams and stuff? It'd be a shame if it was played at a different venue in midweek or soemthing when nobody wil get to see it.

Uladh, think boojangles weas referring to the minor league.

Uladh

Grand.

Don't expect much from our minors

mylestheslasher

I thought McDonald was quite average up until the last quarter. But I think we have to give him a break, it was his 1st competitive game for Cavan and he was thrown into midfield in the championship. He does seem a little slugish to get down on balls but in his favour he can take a point of both feet. I seem him in the warm up "tapping" the ball over from 40 meters with both feet. He got two fine points and when the confidence came after his 1st point he started winning some ball in the middle. I think the lad has a future. Leaving McCabe at FF is a risky one for me. There is nothing worse than thumping high ball in and seeing the FB come storming out with it. Maybe start him there but have a very definite plan B going into the match incase that option doesn't work. The other thing is whether he will be sit enough to last a match anywhere else. He was clearly hampered against Antrim with some sort of injury. As I understand it Armagh are weakish in the middle. I can see them crowding the midfield and breaking ball where the big men they have in Half back and half forward line will use their muscle to get in for breaks first. If Armagh win 50% ball we'll be in real trouble cos they are a team that will score goals. I think Fannin might be a man to come in to the backs, with Hannon (hopefully got his shitty match of the year behind him) and then maybe Rabbitte if he is fit. Unfortunately we are pinning our FB hopes on a guy who hasn't kicked a ball for Cavan in competition for 2 years - maybe that is unrealistic. I think we can give Armagh a game but in the end I expect their strength, direct play and experience to win the game by at least 3 pts

Mr. Pain

There needs to be a complete overhaul of the team that played Antrim, well at least 4 or 5 changes anyway. Some of the small lads will have to make way. Perhaps Martin Reilly should stay and be given a chance as he can score. Mr. Pain's team for Armagh is:

James Reilly
Hannon (deserves another chance)
Sheridan (worth a try here)
Fannin (can do a job here)
Forde (better suited to wing)
Crowe (big man, can play well in this position)
Gunner (better than Cahill here, will track back and mark)
McDonald (had a good enough game to keep place and can play well off Mulvey)
Mulvey (enabled McDonald to play by doing donkey work, if he blows up can throw in Walsh or bring out McCabe)
M. Reilly (good feet on him if a bit light)
Flanagan (intelligent player and worth another go)
McKeever (can cover lots of ground but needs to play more in the 2nd half, tends to play great 1st half)
Johnston (keep it up)
McCabe (the same idea, an option for high ball)
Pierson (with Johnston and McCabe being marked this can provide an opportunity for Pierson to shine)

Watters and Dunne may not be suited for this game and Jayo can come in as an impact sub. Any complaints?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Mr. Pain on May 21, 2008, 11:26:38 AM
There needs to be a complete overhaul of the team that played Antrim, well at least 4 or 5 changes anyway. Some of the small lads will have to make way. Perhaps Martin Reilly should stay and be given a chance as he can score. Mr. Pain's team for Armagh is:

James Reilly
Mulvey (enabled McDonald to play by doing donkey work, if he blows up can throw in Walsh or bring out McCabe)
McKeever (can cover lots of ground but needs to play more in the 2nd half, tends to play great 1st half)
Johnston (keep it up)
Pierson (with Johnston and McCabe being marked this can provide an opportunity for Pierson to shine)

Watters and Dunne may not be suited for this game and Jayo can come in as an impact sub. Any complaints?

Mr Pain. I'd agree with your thinking. I am not sure if Crowe has the pace for Ctr back but maybe he is worth his place. I thought Paul Brady looked tired in that game and he only came on as a sub. I seen him jogging very slowly back one time while at the same time Mulvey was busting a gut to track a guy. I do recognise that we are limited in what we can do so maybe your team isn't too bad.

BallyhaiseMan

Quote from: Mr. Pain on May 21, 2008, 11:26:38 AM

James Reilly
Johnston (keep it up)

mine would be

James Reily
Michael Hannon
Pauric Reily
Keith Fannin
Anthony Forde
Johnny Crowe(Martin O Rourke is their 40 yards man so pace shouldnt be a problem)
Martin Cahill/Gunner if hes match fit(which he wasnt against antrim)
Lorcan Mulvey
Michael McDonald
Martin Reily
Ronan Flanagan
Mark McKeever
Cian Mackey
Dermot McCabe
Seanie Johnston

Pierson is obviously not doing it in training or he would be on the team. Mackey deserves his place after his good performance against Antrim.
Barry Watters unlucky to miss out.
as was Dermot Sheridan.

Mr. Pain

Yes, similar ideas and Mr. Pain forgot Padraig Reilly, might slip in there for Sheridan and move into the corner as Hannon would be Mr. Pain's next choice for full back.

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on May 21, 2008, 12:57:02 PM
Pierson is obviously not doing it in training or he would be on the team. Mackey deserves his place after his good performance against Antrim.
Barry Watters unlucky to miss out.
as was Dermot Sheridan.

Mr Pain would not agree on the Mackey issue. Yes he did very well when on the ball but his man did a lot of damage running up the field and Mackey was nowhere near him. If his man had only converted some of his chances we might not be talking about the Armagh game because we'd be in the qualifiers. Mr Pain can see Gunner being in good shape for the next game as he is a professional by nature and was only just on the panel 2 weeks or so before the Antrim game. Pierson can change a game and he is said to be very disappointed whether warranted or not. Rant over!