FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

I like Gilesy but he's doing some serious projection from his comfortable home in England about what the reaction at home was to Robbie Brady's goal against Italy.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on January 18, 2018, 11:57:08 AM
I like Gilesy but he's doing some serious projection from his comfortable home in England about what the reaction at home was to Robbie Brady's goal against Italy.

It reminds me of something Paul Kimmage wrote

"I remember the 'other' Ray Houghton goal. It was June of '88, my third season as a pro cyclist, and I spent the month fighting to make the team for the Tour de France. Like many with 'small sport syndrome' I didn't get all the noise being generated by the football team and remember a story my brother told about the night of the defeat of England.

He had popped into our local - Kyles in Coolock - for a nice quiet pint and met an old boy at the urinals who was almost weeping: "This is the greatest day of my life."

The notion seemed preposterous. How could beating England be greater than the day of your wedding? Or the birth of your child? Or Stephen Roche winning the Tour de France? "The f**king eejit," we laughed."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

mouview

Quote from: seafoid on January 18, 2018, 06:47:26 AM
Johnny Giles on TBIG as the national mojo
January 17 2018 7:19 PM

There is now a serious issue of trust between hardcore fans of the Ireland senior team and Martin O'Neill over his willingness to talk to Stoke about the job vacated by Mark Hughes and now filled by Paul Lambert.

Over his time as manager, O'Neill has often spoken of the bond he feels between the team and the fans that follow them across the world to support the players and the manager. I think that connection has been broken.

It is an important bond and one that has played a significant role in many of the great nights and indeed, some of the not so great nights down through the years.

When the wheels came off in Poland in 2012, the fans stood to a man and offered their support.

Some were just there for the event but many were hardcore supporters, people passionate about Irish football and not just the senior international team.

When Robbie Brady scored against Italy in Lille in 2016, the relationship between players and fans, perhaps damaged by the two barren years after Euro 2012, was cemented when he ran straight to his family among the Irish fans in the corner of the stadium.

The scenes which followed had a national impact, dominating our hearts and minds for days after the event. The images showed what the team meant to ordinary people.

Back in November, when Denmark shredded O'Neill's team at the Aviva Stadium, I think many, if not all of those fans were shocked by the performance and shocked by the mistakes made on and off the pitch.

In the weeks after, people were numb and analysis difficult. The debate broadened to include all aspects of the game in Ireland and O'Neill's future as senior manager was put on the back-burner.

Think people (well, the media) are getting carried away with the whole thing. O'Neill wasn't officially contracted to the FAI so was free to speak to whoever he liked. Suggestions that he should be made interview again to renew his contract are bonkers. ("Well, Martin, what would you bring to the role as Irish manager?") Talks of a "bond" are silly; management and players are professional - players really only care, correctly, that they get fair treatment and are in the run for selection. Fans didn't show much of a bond when they left before the end of the WC qualifier.

The fact that we're absolute drek makes the whole thing amusing. I was numb for about a whole minute after the Denmark match, we got a hiding that was unfortunately a long time coming.

Esmarelda

I think it's a storm in a teacup too.

Many managers go and speak to other clubs and decide against the move, McInnes at Aberdeen in recent times being one example.

The Irish situation stands out slightly because of the failure of the FAI to actually get him to sign the contract and the debate over whether a gentleman's agreement was worth anything. Other than that though, I don't see the issue.

Main Street

Quote from: Esmarelda on January 18, 2018, 02:44:31 PM
I think it's a storm in a teacup too.

Many managers go and speak to other clubs and decide against the move, McInnes at Aberdeen in recent times being one example.

The Irish situation stands out slightly because of the failure of the FAI to actually get him to sign the contract and the debate over whether a gentleman's agreement was worth anything. Other than that though, I don't see the issue.
O'Neill stated that in rejecting Stoke he felt he was bound by the terms of that verbal contract.
Fwiw, both O'Neill and the FAI had verbally agreed to a new contract which was on the table. O'Neill was obliged to inform the FAI of the Stoke interview and Stoke would have been legally obliged to pay compensation to the FAI had they contracted O'Neill.
(a win win situation in my book)

People had every right to question wtf was happening with O'Neill's commitment to the Irish job and this Stoke interview,
especially in the context of previous questions around his 'lazy´faire management style and general lack of commitment to pursuing minor details like practice, tactics and  game plans which included, tactics, opposition breakdown, defining a player's role in the game plan etc.
O'Neill has evolved into a spoofer

laoislad

I see we've been drawn with Denmark and Wales in this new Nations Cup yoke.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

magpie seanie

Looks a crap enough draw to be honest......not very appetising after recent games against the two.

Capt Pat

A chance to get revenge against Denmark and a chance for Wales to get revenge against us. When does it all kick off?

magpie seanie

September, October and November of this year. Two games in each month. Top of group goes into playoffs, bottom is relegated to lower league for next incarnation of this competition.

Playoffs a small bit complicated but involve 4 separate semi finals (highest ranked team at home) and subsequent finals with the 4 winners getting into the European Championships. There's a good video I saw earlier that explains it but basically every league (A-D) has a qualification track for the winners of the groups or the best placed teams not already qualified.

I think it's a welcome addition......would just have preferred to have drawn teams we hadn't played recently.

Esmarelda

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 12, 2018, 01:12:28 PM
It's a mixture of stupidity and lack of respect.
"The disappointment of Denmark - we were really trying to go for and get two goals in second half. No point in sitting back in second half and losing 2-1 - the perception elsewhere is very, very positive. Unlike yourself," said O'Neill

This is what Tony O'Donoghue receives from O'Neill Seanie. Does O'Neill deserve respect back in response to this?

SHEEDY

Totally arrogant and disrespectful interview from martin o neill. Tony o donoghue is asking the questions every fan wants answered.  O'neill seems to holding a grudge and was very confrontational throughout the interview. Does the manager think he is above criticism? Didnt think the questions were worthy of the level of disdain that o'neill threw back. Poor form from o'neill.
nil satis nisi optimum

Syferus

Where are all the lads who were saying Tony was being unfair to MON before and MON was right to be petulant dîck? Very quiet tonight.

Two more years of threading water as MON does nothing much to develop the panel as not making the Euros with the new system would scupper the PL job he's aiming for. Yay.

At least we have ambition in rugby.

seafoid

It's hard to see MON and TOD getting back together.

https://youtu.be/zuuObGsB0No

Tbig are the national mojo. MON has won 2 European cups. TOD wants to channel the mojo. It is very messy.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on January 24, 2018, 07:32:22 PM

Tbig are the national mojo. MON has won 2 European cups. TOD wants to channel the mojo. It is very messy.

You're a strange cat seafoid.

imtommygunn

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 24, 2018, 08:24:59 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 24, 2018, 07:32:22 PM

You're a strange cat bot seafoid..

Fixed that for you ;D