Christmas Lights - FAO Laoislad or any sparky

Started by trueblue1234, December 02, 2014, 04:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Just looking a quick bit of help here. I have a set of outdoor rope lights (LED similar to these - http://www.dancovershop.com/uk/product/x/rope-light-10-m-led-oe-1-0-cm-cool-white.aspx?gclid=CK-yyNDnp8ICFUoCwwodGX0A6A )
I leave the lights up on the house all year round as I've attached them to clips on the outside of the guttering and they don't get in the way/. And that's worked fine for the last 3 odd years. But I was just getting round to test the lights last weekend and I connected then up to a extension cable. But the lights blew (went on then went of again). There may be a possibility that the extension cable was slightly damp as I had left it in the outside garage. So there's a fair chance I've blown something. I've checked the fuse in the plus and it seems OK and tried it with another one just in case. (This is about the extent of my electrical abilities!!) But no joy. So I was wondering if you can advise of anything else to check before I take them down for the skip?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

trueblue1234

Don't see a transformer. All I can identify is the plug, lead, then small box saying rectifier (1.6A) then more lead and then finally the connection to the actual lights bit. ( I hope that makes sense?)

muppet

MWWSI 2017

trueblue1234

Not quite, it's missing the 20 ft twirking snowman inflatable.

laoislad

To be honest trueblue for the sake of 20 quid I'd just buy a new set.

If you have another extension lead then try that first as maybe the lead is dodge and use a different socket outlet to be sure it's not a dodgy outlet.
If they still don't work as I said I'd just buy a new set.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

trueblue1234

Aye was thinking that. But they're a 50 ft set and cost the guts of £70. But I think that might be the only option.