Started by seafoid, November 08, 2021, 02:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreadnought

Quote from: Keyser soze on November 18, 2021, 09:43:07 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on November 18, 2021, 08:44:33 AM
Quote from: Itchy on November 17, 2021, 04:20:07 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on November 17, 2021, 04:10:18 PM
Quote from: Itchy on November 17, 2021, 01:49:22 PM

Error of his ways? I dont see any error of his ways in say a man taking up arms for his country. This whole thing about changing names is a total pile of bollox. Leave it be and just get on with it.

It's not really a pile of bollox though, is it? There are club names out there which are a problem...

No there are not except to people who are going around looking for a problem. Do you think people who are offended by Kevin Lynch's name being on GAA club will suddenly start respecting the GAA if it is moved? Like I said a pile of complete bollox. Go up to Dublin and see the amount of streets named after people like Cromwell and I dont see lines of people expressing their outrage about it.

Uh, yes? I live in the North. There are many people in the middle ground who don't like the way many names and such relate to the Troubles. These are not the hardcore Unionists or Loyalists, but secular everyday people not in either community just going about their lives, vote Green or Alliance, and would love the opportunity for their kids to play different sports. Their wider family may also have been impacted by the Troubles (like many families here). They might play football and rugby, but usually not GAA due to being uncomfortable as it's exclusive. They see the way the names are venerated in that the GAA is stuck in that and not moving on. I can't disagree with that personally either...

I literally know these people and I work with and are friends with some of them. They've told me this. If the GAA did take a stance to move past these names, they absolutely would respect the sport more. The same like many respected the GAA when we got rid of Rules 27 and 42 in the past. The GAA has moved forward before, and needs to do so again on this. Heads in the sand doesn't work here, change is needed.

It's really not bollox, especially if we want to grow the sport in the North. It is stuck at current levels otherwise and won't grow into the middle ground. Rugby has changed. For example it has got rid of certain flags, Northern Ireland flags are not waved at Ulster matches any more and you won't hear GSTQ. They now accept a very much more varied crowd in recent years, with around 30% of fans now from a Catholic background. That would be unheard of the other way round in GAA...

Rugby?  Is this the same rugby that has a British war memorial as part of its newly built main stadium?

To be fair, the memorial has been in place for quite some time, and renovation of the stadium did not affect this. Is there an issue with a memorial to that many Irishmen who died in both wars?

Dreadnought

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 18, 2021, 10:19:34 AM
I think we are progressing well, the great thing about the GAA is, it hasn't stood still, things take time to change, and those that used the term ' the GAA is the IRA at play'  have lessened over the years, coverage and exposure of our games, not just here but on the likes of SKY have made the game so much more accessible to new people.

You'll never win over cnuts, and to be honest there is no point in trying, just continue as we have and its will modernize and evolve naturally, there are some own goals at times and that's going to happen.

Headquarters should always look at including as many people as possible, the more people on this island playing our unique sports the better, I'm not for the association being political and we should always steer away from that, our grounds should be sporting grounds and not used by political parties or agendas.

Not fussed on political GAA tops either tbh, there are some about with the GAA logo on them, if we can keep it more cultural less political then we reduce the own goals, and give less ammunition to those cnuts who wish to bring the sport down

Good post. Like you say, you'll never win over the wingnuts. But not on about those. Any progressive organisation should be moving forward itself, and appealing to those who would be appealed to is more my point. Some of the names just need looked at. It's not a wholesale thing, just showing you're growing and progressing as an organisation as we move with the times. Agree with your post

BennyCake

I think we are progressing well, the great thing about the GAA is, it hasn't stood still, things take time to change, and those that used the term ' the GAA is the IRA at play'  have lessened over the years, coverage and exposure of our games, not just here but on the likes of SKY have made the game so much more accessible to new people.

You'll never win over cnuts, and to be honest there is no point in trying, just continue as we have and its will modernize and evolve naturally, there are some own goals at times and that's going to happen.

Headquarters should always look at including as many people as possible, the more people on this island playing our unique sports the better, I'm not for the association being political and we should always steer away from that, our grounds should be sporting grounds and not used by political parties or agendas.

Not fussed on political GAA tops either tbh, there are some about with the GAA logo on them, if we can keep it more cultural less political then we reduce the own goals, and give less ammunition to those cnuts who wish to bring the sport down

On a similar note, the 1916 commemoration should not have happened at Croke Park. I don't see a difference in that and the hunger strike marches at matches in the 80's. No place for those on a GAA field. And not only because it will deter unionists from taking part , but because ithey are political and nothing to do with sport

Agree on the political  shirts as well.

In recent years too , I've come to the opinion that the tri colour shouldn't be flown at grounds either. The GAA flag should be flown instead. And national anthem used  for all Ireland finals only.

Kickham csc

Quote from: Dreadnought on November 18, 2021, 11:03:31 AM
Quote from: Keyser soze on November 18, 2021, 09:43:07 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on November 18, 2021, 08:44:33 AM
Quote from: Itchy on November 17, 2021, 04:20:07 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on November 17, 2021, 04:10:18 PM
Quote from: Itchy on November 17, 2021, 01:49:22 PM

Error of his ways? I dont see any error of his ways in say a man taking up arms for his country. This whole thing about changing names is a total pile of bollox. Leave it be and just get on with it.

It's not really a pile of bollox though, is it? There are club names out there which are a problem...

No there are not except to people who are going around looking for a problem. Do you think people who are offended by Kevin Lynch's name being on GAA club will suddenly start respecting the GAA if it is moved? Like I said a pile of complete bollox. Go up to Dublin and see the amount of streets named after people like Cromwell and I dont see lines of people expressing their outrage about it.

Uh, yes? I live in the North. There are many people in the middle ground who don't like the way many names and such relate to the Troubles. These are not the hardcore Unionists or Loyalists, but secular everyday people not in either community just going about their lives, vote Green or Alliance, and would love the opportunity for their kids to play different sports. Their wider family may also have been impacted by the Troubles (like many families here). They might play football and rugby, but usually not GAA due to being uncomfortable as it's exclusive. They see the way the names are venerated in that the GAA is stuck in that and not moving on. I can't disagree with that personally either...

I literally know these people and I work with and are friends with some of them. They've told me this. If the GAA did take a stance to move past these names, they absolutely would respect the sport more. The same like many respected the GAA when we got rid of Rules 27 and 42 in the past. The GAA has moved forward before, and needs to do so again on this. Heads in the sand doesn't work here, change is needed.

It's really not bollox, especially if we want to grow the sport in the North. It is stuck at current levels otherwise and won't grow into the middle ground. Rugby has changed. For example it has got rid of certain flags, Northern Ireland flags are not waved at Ulster matches any more and you won't hear GSTQ. They now accept a very much more varied crowd in recent years, with around 30% of fans now from a Catholic background. That would be unheard of the other way round in GAA...

Rugby?  Is this the same rugby that has a British war memorial as part of its newly built main stadium?

To be fair, the memorial has been in place for quite some time, and renovation of the stadium did not affect this. Is there an issue with a memorial to that many Irishmen who died in both wars?

And that the Unionists / UVF used (WW1) to force the British to force partition. And use the returned solders to man the police and terrorise the catholic population.

Rossfan

Quote from: BennyCake on November 18, 2021, 04:11:14 PM

In recent years too , I've come to the opinion that the tri colour shouldn't be flown at grounds either. The GAA flag should be flown instead.
Careful Benny.
I suggested that a year or so ago and got savaged by Snapchap and some other extremist.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Next you'll be asking for the Anthem only to be sang at finals!

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on November 18, 2021, 10:23:16 AM
The nationalist community in the North was traumatised after partition. You can tell because Cavan won 5 all Irelands during that period
and none after Down won their first.
The GAA was an important part in the recovery. So was nationalism. I think that explains some of the club names.
Maybe now things are different

Good man seafood all when Galway was playing agaunst a maximum of 2 teams in Connacht at the most. I suppose northern teams weren't "traumatised" during the 60s and onwards. You really have no clue about ulster old boy.

Eire90

is the palestine flag banned from games

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Eire90 on November 18, 2021, 08:42:58 PM
is the palestine flag banned from games

Didn't know people were flying them, any Jewish flegs going?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh18

Quote from: Rossfan on November 18, 2021, 05:15:17 PM

In recent years too , I've come to the opinion that the tri colour shouldn't be flown at grounds either. The GAA flag should be flown instead.
Careful Benny.
I suggested that a year or so ago and got savaged by Snapchap and some other extremist.
I totally understand where the 3 of you are coming from with the tricolour and politics thing and see what you mean, but I totally disagree. For me republicanism, patriotism, nationalism and the GAA are all intertwined and part of my culture and who I am. I don't see the tricolour or the national anthem or grounds/trophies/clubs named after republicans as something to be ashamed of, apologise for or change. If people from the other side of the house want to get involved in GAA that's brilliant and they should be more than welcome, if not then it's no skin off anyone's nose but we shouldnt have to compromise to accommodate anyone.

Maybe it's the area I grew up in I don't know.

Milltown Row2

I've said we can't keep everyone happy, I was not brought into the GAA for political reasons, the culture and identity of it came a lot later into my playing days, by then I was able to make my own opinions and judgements. It was purely the sport, anthems United Irelands didn't feature, I lived in Ireland so never gave it a thought.

Political parties hijacking sporting institutions for their own gains is wrong. If you think it is then that's fine.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dreadnought

Quote from: Kickham csc on November 18, 2021, 04:41:27 PM

And that the Unionists / UVF used (WW1) to force the British to force partition. And use the returned solders to man the police and terrorise the catholic population.

And that's the fault of a memorial for dead Irish soldiers in those wars?

Dreadnought

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 18, 2021, 09:45:00 PM

Careful Benny.
I totally understand where the 3 of you are coming from with the tricolour and politics thing and see what you mean, but I totally disagree. For me republicanism, patriotism, nationalism and the GAA are all intertwined and part of my culture and who I am. I don't see the tricolour or the national anthem or grounds/trophies/clubs named after republicans as something to be ashamed of, apologise for or change. If people from the other side of the house want to get involved in GAA that's brilliant and they should be more than welcome, if not then it's no skin off anyone's nose but we shouldnt have to compromise to accommodate anyone.

Yeah I get most of that. But then are you happy for just the GAA to be pretty much exclusionary for many in places in the North then? I'm fine with pretty much most of the iconography, but do think we need to look at clubs named after Slavers, and convicted Republicans. Like there's really no need for it at this stage. Some clubs changed their names during the Troubles, so could change it back. Do think it would make a difference to those middle ground.

And you shouldn't have to compromise to accommodate anyone. But people need to come to the realisation themselves if they don't want to be so insular and exclusionary, or at least the GAA need to see the problem and set standards for it. The GAA has been progressive in teh past, just something else it should look

Rossfan

How far back do you go?
Austin Stacks, Kerins O'Rahillys, Wolfe Tones, Padraig Pearses.....
Or is it only 6 Cos Clubs, Grounds names?
While we're at it should the GAA in the post GFA world not be getting rid of some of the oul guff at the start of the T O?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

whitey

Quote from: Dreadnought on November 19, 2021, 08:39:19 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on November 18, 2021, 09:45:00 PM

Careful Benny.

Yeah I get most of that. But then are you happy for just the GAA to be pretty much exclusionary for many in places in the North then? I'm fine with pretty much most of the iconography, but do think we need to look at clubs named after Slavers, and convicted Republicans. Like there's really no need for it at this stage. Some clubs changed their names during the Troubles, so could change it back. Do think it would make a difference to those middle ground.

And you shouldn't have to compromise to accommodate anyone. But people need to come to the realisation themselves if they don't want to be so insular and exclusionary, or at least the GAA need to see the problem and set standards for it. The GAA has been progressive in teh past, just something else it should look

So who will be doing the looking, and who will make the final decision in whether a name is offensive?

The clubs themselves and their members?

The GAA executive?

The local community?