"It's time for the GAA to drop the national anthem"

Started by seafoid, September 21, 2016, 09:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on September 24, 2016, 02:22:38 PM
If we drop the anthem, we'll have to replace it with something to get the roar going. Buggity-buggity-buggity!

If its all about the 'roar' then there must be easier ways. And quicker too.

Taser the crowd in the stand?
Hoist a flag of Margaret Thatcher?
Oliver Cromwell???
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on September 24, 2016, 08:34:37 PM
Quote from: Hardy on September 24, 2016, 02:22:38 PM
If we drop the anthem, we'll have to replace it with something to get the roar going. Buggity-buggity-buggity!

If its all about the 'roar' then there must be easier ways. And quicker too.

Taser the crowd in the stand?
Hoist a flag of Margaret Thatcher?
Oliver Cromwell???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CevxZvSJLk8
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on September 24, 2016, 09:38:32 AM
Surely the greatest deterrent to unionist involvement is the naming of grounds/competitions in honour of those who  they would perceive to be "terrorists" and the perception that the GAA is a strongly nationalist movement with a political dimension.

A lot of those were named in a bygone era. An era where anything irish was suppressed. Also, people like Pearse did a lot of work in the Irish cultural revival and was looked upon as a national figure/leader, not just for his part in Easter 1916. I can understand why clubs were named in their honour then.

As for the anthem, AI finals only is sufficient.

seafoid

Quote from: BennyCake on September 24, 2016, 10:58:43 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on September 24, 2016, 09:38:32 AM
Surely the greatest deterrent to unionist involvement is the naming of grounds/competitions in honour of those who  they would perceive to be "terrorists" and the perception that the GAA is a strongly nationalist movement with a political dimension.

A lot of those were named in a bygone era. An era where anything irish was suppressed. Also, people like Pearse did a lot of work in the Irish cultural revival and was looked upon as a national figure/leader, not just for his part in Easter 1916. I can understand why clubs were named in their honour then.

As for the anthem, AI finals only is sufficient.
A lot of streets and even towns in NI would have to be renamed for total neutrality

T Fearon

That's not the way it's seen.I don't relate Churchhill Park in Portadown to Winston,I relate it to fiercely irish nationalist,which its residents are,because Winston had no impact on my life.

But unionists see IRA men,both contemporary and historic as the killers of their kith and kin and would be obliterators of their identity,culture etc.

This is I'm afraid the elephant in the room,far greater than anthems or flags.

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on September 25, 2016, 08:57:50 AM
That's not the way it's seen.I don't relate Churchhill Park in Portadown to Winston,I relate it to fiercely irish nationalist,which its residents are,because Winston had no impact on my life.

But unionists see IRA men,both contemporary and historic as the killers of their kith and kin and would be obliterators of their identity,culture etc.

Maybe so, but if names, anthem and flags were removed unionists would still find an issue to complain about.

The GAA promotes an Irish culture: language, music, dance etc. Will all those have to be removed as well?

Some teams are based on the catholic parish area. Will that be a problem for them too?

From the Bunker

Never mind getting rid of the National Anthem. Get rid of the 'Three cheers for the gallant losing team' from the winning captains speech! If ever there was a finger of the eye of the losing team, this is it!

T Fearon

I think removing the names would be the best move.I have met unionists at Croke Park already.Of course there will be a hardcore that will never associate with the GAA but the average reasonable unionist can be won over.

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 25, 2016, 05:44:54 PM
Never mind getting rid of the National Anthem. Get rid of the 'Three cheers for the gallant losing team' from the winning captains speech! If ever there was a finger of the eye of the losing team, this is it!
Hip hip Hooray!

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on September 25, 2016, 08:57:50 AM

Is it just that a good few don't feel Irish in any way? Changing a song is hardly going to move the dial.

T Fearon

A lot are happy to engage and would be happier still if the GAA could lose political baggage.For example Trevor Ringland the former Irish Rugby player said he would engage with the GAA as soon as it abandoned the ban on British Security Forces, which he said ruled out his father, an RUC man out.He was as good as his word.

Many Rugby and GAA clubs co operate very well,including in Portadown believe it or not.

Sure Jackie Mc Donald himself was at the 2010 All Ireland Final as a guest of Martin Mc Aleese

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on September 25, 2016, 06:48:43 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 25, 2016, 05:44:54 PM
Hip hip Hooray!

Hip Hip - Hooray!
Hip Hip - Hooray!
Hip Hip - Hooray!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqKpCIcvI34

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on September 25, 2016, 07:32:45 PM
A lot are happy to engage and would be happier still if the GAA could lose political baggage.For example Trevor Ringland the former Irish Rugby player said he would engage with the GAA as soon as it abandoned the ban on British Security Forces, which he said ruled out his father, an RUC man out.He was as good as his word.

Many Rugby and GAA clubs co operate very well,including in Portadown believe it or not.

Sure Jackie Mc Donald himself was at the 2010 All Ireland Final as a guest of Martin Mc Aleese

And I'd say Trevor could understand why the ban was there in the first place.

Hand me a free premium ticket for Aviva, sit up in comfy seats and eat and drink your fill, and even I would attend a rugby match. Going to one AI final doesn't make anyone a GAA superfan

I don't recall seeing Peter again in the Athletic Grounds!

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

6th sam

I would agree that the anthem, should only be played on special occasions , or else it can be de-valued. However those GAA members that would try to erode the patriotic ethos of the GAA, should be careful what they wish for. The GAA punches well above it's weight in terms of members , facilities, contribution to society. This is because of the volunteer effort of members in most communities in Ireland , sustained across years and indeed generations. In my experience most of those volunteers are prepared to invest that time because consciously or subconsciously , they feel it's an opportunity to manifest their patriotism. This is not a political patriotism , in my opinion, as it transcends party-political lines, but it's a sense that we have so much to be proud of as a country, and for many the GAA is the most tangible way of living that pride.
We have great games but we will never have the resources and affinity worldwide to challenge global games such as soccer, in any other country but Ireland .Therefore ,in my opinion , if we erode what really makes our association different (ie the patriotic element) , and compete with soccer , for example, in a purely sporting context , we would place the development of our games in jeopardy .
For those that think that removing the anthem etc, will result in a massive increase in our membership should be aware that dilution of our identity may have the opposite effect, and certainly could put our greatest strength -our sustained volunteer commitment in jeopardy. Coming from a club that always had players from across the community, it's far more relevant to actively welcome all comers , with open arms, as opposed to diluting the very values which make us strongest.