Triathlons

Started by qwerty123, July 24, 2011, 01:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: haranguerer on September 08, 2014, 01:54:48 PM
Milltown, whats the logistics for pool tris? Like I assume you're just in togs swimming, so do you just get changed into the cycling gear in the changing room and take it from there? Are transitions very long then?

I'd like to do that one - £50 is a tight ask for an event too though -£30 entry and a £20 one day licence on top

As mayo4sam has said  the Tri suit is best, straight out of the pool and run to transition and on the bike and away, shouldn't take more that a minute. It's usually the back door of the pool is opened to a transition area pretty close.

Pricewise it's expensive but at the start of the year become a member of Tri Ireland and you don't have to get licence all the time. so if you only do 3 you've saved money. The pool one is grand to give you that idea of whether its for you or not.

Watch the Titanic triathlon yesterday some cracking swimmers on show, girl I think finished her swim in 18 minutes!! that's for a mile, some boyos couldn't run that in that time lol. Weather was great, was a bit jealous watching
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: haranguerer on September 08, 2014, 02:37:03 PM
Cheers. Ah, hadn't considered swimming in bib shorts (I assume they'd also be grand?). And do you generally just be running through the leisure centre soaking then?

You dry up pretty quick
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

haranguerer

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 08, 2014, 02:41:18 PM
Cheers. Ah, hadn't considered swimming in bib shorts (I assume they'd also be grand?). And do you generally just be running through the leisure centre soaking then?

You dry up pretty quick

I just couldnt really fathom how they'd have a loada feckers racing straight from the pool down out the front entrance, that they have a separate one open beside the bikes clears a lot of my confusion up

Milltown Row2

Quote from: haranguerer on September 08, 2014, 02:47:00 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 08, 2014, 02:41:18 PM

You dry up pretty quick

I just couldnt really fathom how they'd have a loada feckers racing straight from the pool down out the front entrance, that they have a separate one open beside the bikes clears a lot of my confusion up

Aye you can imagine, but it's funny the first timers do come out of the pool disorientated (if they are poor swimmers) and look confused run the wrong direction and stand for a bit to get their breathing right. The Newtownabbey one is a decent first timer a gradual climb with a sharp decent on the finish with the bike and two laps of the park beside the centre.

heffo

Anyone planning on doing the Dublin Ironman 70.3 next August?

I volunteered at the one this year and it looked deadly so I'm signing up next month

haranguerer

Anyone planning any this year?

I'm in for Challenge Galway 70.3, starting to hit home what a challenge it is, 4 months doesn't seem long at all to get up to speed. I'll probably try to coordinate a few sprints and Olympics as part of the build-up too

heffo

Quote from: haranguerer on February 18, 2016, 10:22:40 AM

I'm in for Challenge Galway 70.3, starting to hit home what a challenge it is, 4 months doesn't seem long at all to get up to speed. I'll probably try to coordinate a few sprints and Olympics as part of the build-up too

Are you working off a training plan? I'd recommend you get a turbo too - I find them great.

Hopefully pre-registration will open next week for Dublin 70.3

haranguerer

I'd seen the Don Finks books mentioned online, so bought one, waiting on it to arrive.

I got a turbo around christmas too, but haven't got as much use out of it yet as I'd hoped. How often a week are you on it, and for how long?

I think I thought I was further along fitness wise than I am, I have been doing bits and pieces, but clearly not enough, and I really need to step it up. Maybe I'll love it though and go for dublin too...cant see it at this moment in time though!!

laoislad

Quote from: heffo on February 18, 2016, 11:43:22 AM

Are you working off a training plan? I'd recommend you get a turbo too - I find them great.

I find the turbo great.Mind you I haven't taken the bike off it since I bought it but I really think it's helping my fitness for running.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

heffo

Quote from: haranguerer on February 18, 2016, 02:06:23 PM
I'd seen the Don Finks books mentioned online, so bought one, waiting on it to arrive.

I got a turbo around christmas too, but haven't got as much use out of it yet as I'd hoped. How often a week are you on it, and for how long?

I think I thought I was further along fitness wise than I am, I have been doing bits and pieces, but clearly not enough, and I really need to step it up. Maybe I'll love it though and go for dublin too...cant see it at this moment in time though!!

I'm doing 2 x Turbo sessions a week - 1 x hour & 1 x 1.5 hours - all kind of varied with some sprints thrown in etc. I'm told an hour on he turbo is worth and hour and a half on the road - I'm definitely feeling the benefit of it.

I do a longish cycle on the road Saturday morning, 3 x runs and a long 3k swim.

haranguerer

I read that ideally you'll get three sessions of each a week in, so you're doing well there heffo, and thats before starting any plan I presume. For me at this stage its a 16 week plan I'll be looking, and then see how I can fit in a race or two beforehand as buildup. I've only done one sprint so far, so its a fair step up

heffo

Quote from: laoislad on February 18, 2016, 02:09:12 PM
Quote from: heffo on February 18, 2016, 11:43:22 AM

I find the turbo great.Mind you I haven't taken the bike off it since I bought it but I really think it's helping my fitness for running.

It should help with overall conditioning alright

Milltown Row2

Quote from: haranguerer on February 18, 2016, 02:28:52 PM
I read that ideally you'll get three sessions of each a week in, so you're doing well there heffo, and thats before starting any plan I presume. For me at this stage its a 16 week plan I'll be looking, and then see how I can fit in a race or two beforehand as buildup. I've only done one sprint so far, so its a fair step up

You've only did one sprint ever?? And looking to step up to a half ironman??

Looking to get back ay them this year, away for work all of last year so didn't get any done... It's getting into a routine that I'm finding hard, id be at the gym every day but not doing swimming or cycling that's holding me back... Sprints are fine even some flattish Olympic distance races are grand... But the step up to half or full Ironman race distance is another level of pain!!

Good luck and let us know your plan once you get going..... As a side, practice hard on the transitions  or bricks I think they are called.... Not just to make it easier but help with transferring different muscle groups

haranguerer

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 19, 2016, 08:02:29 AM

Looking to get back ay them this year, away for work all of last year so didn't get any done... It's getting into a routine that I'm finding hard, id be at the gym every day but not doing swimming or cycling that's holding me back... Sprints are fine even some flattish Olympic distance races are grand... But the step up to half or full Ironman race distance is another level of pain!!

Good luck and let us know your plan once you get going..... As a side, practice hard on the transitions  or bricks I think they are called.... Not just to make it easier but help with transferring different muscle groups

Yep - I can swim, I can cycle, and I can run. I just need to get used to doing one after another, for (a lot) longer I guess...

Will do, getting a plan sorted out is something I need to get on as soon as possible.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: haranguerer on February 19, 2016, 10:46:58 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 19, 2016, 08:02:29 AM

Yep - I can swim, I can cycle, and I can run. I just need to get used to doing one after another, for (a lot) longer I guess...

Will do, getting a plan sorted out is something I need to get on as soon as possible.

Yeah, the hardest thing is getting mentally right, pure ignorance will drag you through... my first Olympic was this one: http://www.topofmourne.com/

Brutal and I wish I had have started with an easier one, the cycle was to the top of the Mourne!!! people were getting off their bikes and walking at parts!!