Club Hurling

Started by BallyroanAbbey, April 16, 2017, 11:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downtheroad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on October 07, 2018, 07:32:08 PM
It was a dirty dirty belt that should have been an automatic red. This referee seems to want to use his own personal rule book to "let the game flow". Every game is a controversy, and the duty of care bit is very true. One of the players booked in this incident should have been sent off for a headbutt (right in front of the referee) after about 5 minutes.
The man should not be rewarded with Senior finals.
The incident, and more importantly the outcome of it, had a major effect on the game thereafter.

I don't agree with earlier posters re the minor amalgamation.
You can always step back to B in the odd years you are not particularly strong and use your own u15s/16s. Isn't that what rural clubs have always done.
I don't think this win will be of much benefit to any of the 3 clubs involved (Yes there were 3 involved).

Also, The Harps underperformed today. But it is a bit dramatic to start talking about disbanding the club as a magic fix.
Have to disagree. all clubs involved will benefit from this win. "B" football and hurling in this county is putrid and any player with any self respect should be playing "A".  I expect at least 10 of the team to play for their adult clubs. The amalgamation had at least 5 under 15s playing today and a lot of them are playing with the county already.

Keyser Söze

I didn't use sympathy for The Harps as an argument against CB/Mountrath/Trumera. It is no different to Camross/Ballyfin/Mountmellick/North Laois.
The Harps/Ballinakill was wrong, as is Mountrath/Ballacolla, as is Camross/Ballyfin/Mountmellick, as was Castletown/Slieve Bloom/Ballyfin.

The love in for Deegan as a coach is also a little overhyped.
3 finals, won 1 and lost 2.
Not bad, but nothing to be getting excited about (unless you write for Laois Today).
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Downtheroad on October 07, 2018, 07:55:47 PM
It was a dirty dirty belt that should have been an automatic red. This referee seems to want to use his own personal rule book to "let the game flow". Every game is a controversy, and the duty of care bit is very true. One of the players booked in this incident should have been sent off for a headbutt (right in front of the referee) after about 5 minutes.
The incident, and more importantly the outcome of it, had a major effect on the game thereafter.

You can always step back to B in the odd years you are not particularly strong and use your own u15s/16s. Isn't that what rural clubs have always done.
I don't think this win will be of much benefit to any of the 3 clubs involved (Yes there were 3 involved).

Also, The Harps underperformed today. But it is a bit dramatic to start talking about disbanding the club as a magic fix.
Have to disagree. all clubs involved will benefit from this win. "B" football and hurling in this county is putrid and any player with any self respect should be playing "A".  I expect at least 10 of the team to play for their adult clubs. The amalgamation had at least 5 under 15s playing today and a lot of them are playing with the county already.

So should every club look around in advance of their "weaker years" and find someone else in a similar situation and jump into bed with them for a year?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Downtheroad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on October 07, 2018, 08:01:03 PM
Quote from: Downtheroad on October 07, 2018, 07:55:47 PM

So should every club look around in advance of their "weaker years" and find someone else in a similar situation and jump into bed with them for a year?
Seems a sensible enough approach to me if a team hasn't got the numbers.  It's been going on in Laois since time immemorial and will continue if we want our 48 clubs to survive.   

merman

I agree Keyser.

I've no problem with CB, Mountrath, Trumera; well done to the young lads. Not many Minor A medallists in any of those clubs. I don't want this discussion to detract from their win; they were the better team and some of the performances were excellent.

But The Harps have brought a team from U6 to U17 and were denied by an amalgamated team, manufactured out of convenience. Yes, the reasons are valid and can be logically defended but it doesn't make it 100% right.

Again, I'm not criticising the individual clubs but it's a bitter pill to swallow for those young men who were the best U17 'club' in Laois but have nothing to show for it.

finbar o tool

Agree 100%. No excuse for the referee not to issue at least 1 red in that instance, as usual the whole stand can see something but the ref doesnt? As usual here we are after such an important game talking about the ref. It had a huge bearing on the game, camross should have been down to at least 14, instead RE are without arguably their best player.
Having said all that RE had a few chances to level or even win the game at the end but didnt take them. I would also add Camross always use the ball well, they got their match ups right, and they manage the game very well, making changes and positional switches when needed.

In the Senior A, Portlaoise the better team overall, they had ball winners in their inside line and that made the difference, Harps couldnt get anything to stick in their full forward line, and they should have tried to create space a lot more/better, it was very bunched for most of the game and that suited Portlaoise. Also dont know why they didnt send up their free man into the forwards for the last 10 mins or so to try get them back into the game.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

Downtheroad

Quote from: merman on October 07, 2018, 08:13:03 PM
I agree Keyser.

I've no problem with CB, Mountrath, Trumera; well done to the young lads. Not many Minor A medallists in any of those clubs. I don't want this discussion to detract from their win; they were the better team and some of the performances were excellent.

But The Harps have brought a team from U6 to U17 and were denied by an amalgamated team, manufactured out of convenience. Yes, the reasons are valid and can be logically defended but it doesn't make it 100% right.

Again, I'm not criticising the individual clubs but it's a bitter pill to swallow for those young men who were the best U17 'club' in Laois but have nothing to show for it.
Funny enough no mention of a Crettyard player who probably should have been with Slieve Margy

merman

Quote from: Downtheroad on October 07, 2018, 08:16:15 PM
I agree Keyser.

Funny enough no mention of a Crettyard player who probably should have been with Slieve Margy

Not funny at all.
I happen to know the young man and his family.
He's hurled with The Harps since before Slieve Margy were formed. Should he have been forced to go back and hurl at B or C grade?

BallyroanAbbey

slieve margy is a dead duck anyways, theres 3 or 4 clubs fighting it for some of the young lads still interested in hurling, football clubs killed it off basically, probably shoulf of built it up from underage slowly like lads are saying a new club in portlaoise should on another fourm, real shame though

Downtheroad

Quote from: merman on October 07, 2018, 08:17:51 PM
Quote from: Downtheroad on October 07, 2018, 08:16:15 PM
I agree Keyser.

Not funny at all.
I happen to know the young man and his family.
He's hurled with The Harps since before Slieve Margy were formed. Should he have been forced to go back and hurl at B or C grade?
You  back up my earlier point that no player should be  forced to play B and C. The notion that the Harps are purer than snow when it comes to this type of stuff is a bit of a myth. They picked the best out of Ballinakill for years before Ballinakill got their act together.

burdizzo

Hopefully the same as what happened Slieve Margy won't happen w/ the St. Paul's/ Portarlington hurling amalgamation, which won the u13 B championship recently. However, keeping that team going u15 will be a real challenge, and I wish them luck.

BallyroanAbbey

[be  forced to play B and C. The notion that the Harps are purer than snow when it comes to this type of stuff is a bit of a myth. They picked the best out of Ballinakill for years before Ballinakill got their act together.
[/quote]

I dont think it ballinakill got their act together, they are doing the same to margy and ballypickas except they transfer them in instead,
look as far as i can see alot of clubs are at this in both codes so it hard for vlubs pillaged more than others to stay going.
In an ideal world underage hurling should go by parish and traditional boundaries but these are becoming increasingly blurred.
The latest one doing the rounds is that if raheen parish gaels break up underage colt will take any young lad living in the clonad area as clonad are technically a portlaoise club while clonad area is in raheen parish. You couldnt make it up

Don Draper

What was done to Roddy King today was vile. Camross is as Camross does unfortunately.

Get well soon Roddy.

LOVEGAA

What did the ref issue yellow card for?  If it was for what everyone saw he bottled it because without a shadow of doubt itwas a red card and even 2 red cards.

It had to be the worst and most cowardly strike I have ever seen on a pitch.

If a team have to resort to that all i can say is they are a very poor reflection on our county going forward to reoresent laois

burdizzo

Quote from: BallyroanAbbey on October 07, 2018, 08:55:30 PM
The latest one doing the rounds is that if raheen parish gaels break up underage colt will take any young lad living in the clonad area as clonad are technically a portlaoise club while clonad area is in raheen parish. You couldnt make it up

This is surely a joke?! Colt, at underage, have practically nothing coming through.