Should gays be allowed to legally marry?

Started by Saffrongael, February 05, 2013, 07:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should gays be allowed to legally marry?

Yes
No
Don't care

tommysmith

Quote from: ONeill on February 06, 2013, 10:46:06 PM
Why?

It's not normal for two men to be together never mind marry.

People will tell you its 2013 blah blah blah they can do what they want but if everyone woke up in the morning and decided they were a gay that would mean no kids and the population of the world would end up dying off.

Maguire01

Maguire01

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 05, 2013, 11:10:38 PM
Would there not be a fair chance a child brought up by a gay couple, would eventually turn gay in the future too. They might be good parents for the kid, but that sort of enviroment would hardly be great for their own sexuality in future years.
Here's a question - what proportion of gay people today have gay parents?

EC Unique

Quote from: J70 on February 06, 2013, 10:12:59 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on February 06, 2013, 08:24:28 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 06, 2013, 07:25:47 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on February 06, 2013, 12:01:27 PM
Quote from: Jonah on February 06, 2013, 11:50:19 AM
Quote from: EC Unique on February 06, 2013, 11:46:52 AM
A debate that would be more relevent to me personally would be ''should gays be allowed to marry in a church or chapel?''

Standing beside each other in a town hall or whatever telling each other that they love each other and signing a piece of paper to me is not really a marriage so tear away.

So I assume you voted Yes in the above poll then?

I have not voted.

I would have a fear that once the right to legally marry has been sorted the next step would be, for some gay couples, to force their way to marrage at the alter. That would be a massive NO for me.

Given the privileged position of churches, I doubt that will ever happen. And how could it, legally?

I hope you are right.

That begs the question, though.... What are you afraid of?

If the churches were to start marrying gay people, what difference will it make to you? How will it affect you?

The churches will only start marrying gay people if they are legally forced to do so. This is highly unlikely but in the modern world of 'human rights' you never know.

If it gets to the stage where the law can dictate to the church as to who they must marry even if it is against the churches beliefs and teachings then surely you can understand why people who value the religion would be upset.

tommysmith

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 06, 2013, 10:56:50 PM
Would there not be a fair chance a child brought up by a gay couple, would eventually turn gay in the future too. They might be good parents for the kid, but that sort of enviroment would hardly be great for their own sexuality in future years.

None

Maguire01

Quote from: tommysmith on February 06, 2013, 10:55:25 PM
Why?

People will tell you its 2013 blah blah blah they can do what they want but if everyone woke up in the morning and decided they were a gay that would mean no kids and the population of the world would end up dying off.
Why would people wake up and decide to be gay?

laoislad

Why?

Maybe that's what happened the Dinosaurs
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

EC Unique

Quote from: laoislad on February 06, 2013, 11:03:18 PM
Why?

Maybe that's what happened the Dinosaurs

Mega-sore-ass.

Puckoon

Hate to re-post this, but Del Boy Jr just ain't getting it.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Puckoon on February 06, 2013, 11:09:20 PM

Hate to re-post this, but Del Boy Jr just ain't getting it.

0.. Where are we talking about Ireland or the World in general, because Eamon posted a youtube link from a couple in America.

None in Ireland I would think

ONeill

Why?

Normal?

What if it wasn't normal 25'000 years ago? There's increasing evidence that men preferred men and women preferred women back then. It was only when we managed to process the info that copulation was handy that things changed.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Maguire01

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 06, 2013, 11:09:06 PM
Quote from: hardstation on February 06, 2013, 11:07:13 PM
On the flip side of that, Maguire, maybe most people grow up to be heterosexual as that's what they see, love between their mother & father.

Therefore someone who grows up seeing love between their two fathers may be more inclined to be gay?

I don't know at all but I see a logic in there somewhere.

Maguire has all the answers. In my view it would lead that way.
I never claimed to have all the answers, just that none of the gay people I know have gay parents.

Puckoon

Rodney - I can't understand your question. What is it that there are none of in Ireland?

rodney trotter

I wasn't asking a question puckoon, just stating i didn't know if there was many gay parents in Ireland

Main Street

Quote from: ONeill on February 06, 2013, 11:14:55 PM
Why?

Normal?

What if it wasn't normal 25'000 years ago? There's increasing evidence that men preferred men and women preferred women back then. It was only when we managed to process the info that copulation was handy that things changed.
Fortunately they managed to process that info before they all died.
I suppose before they managed to work it out, the stork was in overdrive?