Gaels amalgamations

Started by The Monument Road, December 02, 2016, 01:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

So have Abbeyleix just given up? First the football, now the hurling?

The PRO

If this thing goes through with Abbeyleix and Ballinakill, will Ballyfin be spared relegation? Thus, allowing the Mountmellick lads to stay part of the amalgamation.

BallyroanAbbey

If there was ever a time to put in a team made up of junior and intermediate clubs now is surely it, if they are serious about getting rid of the gaels teams these lads should still be provided with a platform to play at senior level, the last thing that should happen is that the likes of a kyle trumera ballypickas etc are used as feeder clubs for senior teams, but there is a posibility of that happening if you take away lads chances of playing with a gaels team and dont give them a platform to hurl at a higher level

Laoiseabu

It's about time that some of the football clubs of Laois took a leaf out of some of the Hurling clubs books and amalgamated . Two clubs in the Carlow direction with the initials A-K spring to mind . Pull your head out of the sand boys. And I'd even throw in Barrowhouse as part of the amalgamation as they are part of the Na Fianna Og setup at underage.

SCFC

Quote from: Laoiseabu on November 30, 2018, 12:11:30 PM
It's about time that some of the football clubs of Laois took a leaf out of some of the Hurling clubs books and amalgamated . Two clubs in the Carlow direction with the initials A-K spring to mind . Pull your head out of the sand boys. And I'd even throw in Barrowhouse as part of the amalgamation as they are part of the Na Fianna Og setup at underage.
Why should they? You don't see Rheban being told to amalgamate with Castlemitchell and maybe throw in Grange too cause they're all junior in your county.

TheGiantSquid

Killeen and Kilcruise looked very old last year, I fear they will both eventually wilt away if they dont sew up old wounds.

Laoiseabu

I see Ballyroan abbey Gaels are in the u21. Can someone tell me who they are joined with to make the Gaels ?

High Fielder

Quote from: TheGiantSquid on December 02, 2018, 05:36:15 PM
Killeen and Kilcruise looked very old last year, I fear they will both eventually wilt away if they dont sew up old wounds.

There is only one long term solution to football in that part of the world and in fairness, they've addressed the problem with Na Fianna Og. The only way they can continue to keep their head above water (Kilcruise, Killeen and Barrowhouse) is to pool their resources and make life a little easier for themselves. You're talking about a relatively small area even with the three combined, so splitting them up after underage is ridiculous.

I welcome amalgamations because it shows a degree of ambition. It also shows that people are thinking about the future and the changing nature of modern life and how we contribute to the GAA. None of us have the time and dedication that previous generations had, and with admn, sponsorship and coaching, our clubs are a very different animal to what they were even 20 years ago. So in my opinion, there is strength in numbers and there is prosperity in numbers too. It's never nice to see the end of great clubs, but there are too many clubs in Laois that are hanging on by their fingertips or worse still, stuck in some sort of twilight zone where they never really compete for anything. I know club officials in some clubs who are worn out just trying to keep the thing functional, and it's no fun whatsoever. Not for them, not for the members and probably not the players. I'm all for giving yourself the best possible chance of succeeding, and I just believe that the very rare golden period is not enough to sustain a club over a lifetime. I respect and admire the opposing point of view of course, and I appreciate it's not as black and white as I've painted.

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Laoiseabu on December 02, 2018, 06:33:00 PM
I see Ballyroan abbey Gaels are in the u21. Can someone tell me who they are joined with to make the Gaels ?

2 players from Colt

Laoiseabu

Quote from: High Fielder on December 02, 2018, 08:05:08 PM

There is only one long term solution to football in that part of the world and in fairness, they've addressed the problem with Na Fianna Og. The only way they can continue to keep their head above water (Kilcruise, Killeen and Barrowhouse) is to pool their resources and make life a little easier for themselves. You're talking about a relatively small area even with the three combined, so splitting them up after underage is ridiculous.

I welcome amalgamations because it shows a degree of ambition. It also shows that people are thinking about the future and the changing nature of modern life and how we contribute to the GAA. None of us have the time and dedication that previous generations had, and with admn, sponsorship and coaching, our clubs are a very different animal to what they were even 20 years ago. So in my opinion, there is strength in numbers and there is prosperity in numbers too. It's never nice to see the end of great clubs, but there are too many clubs in Laois that are hanging on by their fingertips or worse still, stuck in some sort of twilight zone where they never really compete for anything. I know club officials in some clubs who are worn out just trying to keep the thing functional, and it's no fun whatsoever. Not for them, not for the members and probably not the players. I'm all for giving yourself the best possible chance of succeeding, and I just believe that the very rare golden period is not enough to sustain a club over a lifetime. I respect and admire the opposing point of view of course, and I appreciate it's not as black and white as I've painted.

Very good post I agree with it big time

Downtheroad

There are 2 sides to the argument and when a club like Mullinalaghta comes along everybody is warmed by what is almost a fairy tale. The reality is that organised team sport is in decline which is a reflection of modern society. Ironically, I think small town clubs are in deep trouble due to lack of volunteers. There is a greater chance that  Kilcavan, Trumera will survive due to the community spirit. That's why Abbeyleix and Ballinakill coming together makes sense as a combination of urban and rural areas will give them a critical mass to survive. I have always admired Ballinakill who always produce quality hurlers from a small base. Abbeyleix also have a proud hurling tradition but it pulls mainly from a town and  hurling is in trouble in small towns all over Ireland. The people looking to put this amalgamation together are hurling people first and foremost and putting the promotion of the game ahead of holding on to two GAA units that are probably going to struggle on their own.

Don Draper

Plenty of Clubs in Laois have come and gone, its been the way of the association since its inception. Its just always tinged with a bit of sadness to see any club disappear, because once its gone, you won't be getting it back again.

Saying that, Irish society is changing, and if the GAA is to survive it too needs to change. I just find it disappointing that two clubs who are senior semi finalists in recent years are taking such a step. Neither are too big to go back a grade or two, but perhaps we need to trust the ones in charge who will know whats coming through at underage and are energised to do what it takes to save hurling in their locality.

SCFC

Quote from: Don Draper on December 03, 2018, 11:11:44 AM
Plenty of Clubs in Laois have come and gone, its been the way of the association since its inception. Its just always tinged with a bit of sadness to see any club disappear, because once its gone, you won't be getting it back again.

Saying that, Irish society is changing, and if the GAA is to survive it too needs to change. I just find it disappointing that two clubs who are senior semi finalists in recent years are taking such a step. Neither are too big to go back a grade or two, but perhaps we need to trust the ones in charge who will know whats coming through at underage and are energised to do what it takes to save hurling in their locality.
Who was the last club to go under? Apart from Kilminchy who only lasted a few years?

Don Draper

Quote from: SCFC on December 03, 2018, 02:30:51 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on December 03, 2018, 11:11:44 AM

Who was the last club to go under? Apart from Kilminchy who only lasted a few years?
Clubs don't tend to go under anymore, they amalgamate. Much like the likes of Wolfhill, Cullohill etc did.

burdizzo

Slieve Margy is finding it hard to keep going...