The ulster rugby trial

Started by caprea, February 01, 2018, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

Quote from: Hound on March 08, 2018, 11:29:55 AM
Rosanna Cooney
Olding says when he stayed at Paddy's house, where he stayed 2/3 times a month, he would stay in Paddy's bed or on the sofa.

I'd like to see a picture of Paddy's bed for some context - must be feckin huge !

Would help if Blane would get out of it the odd time!

Hound

Clearly not a co-ordinated defence from the lads!

But with everyone drunk, nobody will remember things the same way.

I can't imagine they'll let McIlroy up there.

AQMP

This from Rosanna Cooney:

Olding says when he (a?) friend messaged him to ask "How was she?" The "she" referred to the night not the complainant...as in if your mate got a new car you'd say "How is she?"

Asked about his response to "Any sluts get fucked?" he said "Precious secrets" was a reference to Lord of the Rings and a "nonsense comment".

AQMP

More definitions of "spit-roasting"...Olding says it's a woman between two men and sexual activity going on

Asked about his message about "a merry go round at a carnival", he says it was nonsense and he didn't mean anything by it.

"Top shaggers" was immature boasting

seafoid

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/stuart-olding-tells-rugby-rape-trial-i-didnt-force-her-in-any-way-36683391.html

"STUART OLDING has told Belfast Crown Court that the day before an alleged attack he and "close friend" Paddy Jackson went to co-accused Blane McIlroy's house at around 4pm. He had a pizza and eight cans of beer.

They later went to a bar where he had burger and chips, a few pints of Guinness and a few gin and tonics. They then went to Ollie's nightclub at about midnight where he had five vodka and lemonades and a few shots."

To say he must have been pissed as a fart would be an insult to farts.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Esmarelda

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 08, 2018, 11:40:30 AM
What is her view on how she communicated her non-consent?
I think, but could be wrong, that she told Jackson "to at least use a condom" and then when Olding came in she said "not him too". Maybe someone else could clarify.

AQMP

Olding says that while in the cell at the police station someone told him that Ulster Rugby had sent a solicitor (Joe Rice) and would he like him to represent him.  Small point, but I was wondering why Jackson had been asked yesterday had Ulster Rugby provided him with a solicitor.  He said "no".

macdanger2

Quote from: Hound on March 08, 2018, 11:20:57 AM
Quote from: Taylor on March 08, 2018, 10:51:33 AM
Completely unbelievable that Harrison didnt mention to the boys at lunch that the girl had told them it wasnt consensual.

Thought i read somewhere he may have been trying to protect them - protect them from what?

I think it is believable that these lads would have it in their head they'd be protecting their big star. And I'd find it hard to believe that if they did tell PJ and SO, that they wouldnt try and speak to her to try and calm it all down.

But whether they did or didnt, it doesn't really make any difference to whether there was consent or not.

You're right about that it won't directly have any bearing on the issue of consent but I think it may affect their credibility - if the jury don't believe the story being told by the accused, they're less likely to believe them on the issue of consent imo

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Hound on March 08, 2018, 11:54:52 AM

A coordinated defence would reak of conspiracy tbh, I'd imagine they don't have a clue what happened, really anyone in that house.

AQMP

Prosecution questioning Olding now.  None of the other defence barristers had any questions for him.

trailer

The guys' version of events seems more plausible than the girl's. Even with all missing pieces.

magpie seanie

Quote from: trailer on March 08, 2018, 12:53:15 PM
The guys' version of events seems more plausible than the girl's. Even with all missing pieces.

I honestly don't know how anyone can come to that conclusion.

Hound

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 08, 2018, 12:43:13 PM

A coordinated defence would reak of conspiracy tbh, I'd imagine they don't have a clue what happened, really anyone in that house.
Yeah, there's very different tactics taken by prosecution and defence.

The girl was superbly prepared, she was ready for every question, knew exactly how to answer it, and had a stock answer for any time she did find herself in a muddle.

The lads are all over the place. Prosecution trying to set traps for Olding with hypothetical questions and he seems to be walking into all of them. He's answering questions the way the prosecution counsel wants him to.

magpie seanie

I think the lads don't really know what happened. I think the alleged victim is pretty clear on most of it. I agree the coordinated defence might possibly look like a conspiracy given the amount of drink they had and I think this is a tactic that was decided on. They're only out to create doubt and lead people to that conclusion - "who knows what went on".

Syferus

Quote from: Hound on March 08, 2018, 01:01:03 PM

Yeah, there's very different tactics taken by prosecution and defence.

The girl was superbly prepared, she was ready for every question, knew exactly how to answer it, and had a stock answer for any time she did find herself in a muddle.

The lads are all over the place. Prosecution trying to set traps for Olding with hypothetical questions and he seems to be walking into all of them. He's answering questions the way the prosecution counsel wants him to.

The victim was on the stand for over a week. That the defendants are setting themselves on fire with barely a few hours on the stand speaks volumes in itself.