1st news story you remember from tv as a child.

Started by Boycey, November 27, 2017, 05:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

I remember our Northern correspondent Póilín Ní Chiaráin reporting on atrocities all through the 80s. They became expected except when something really awful happened like Enniskillen.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AQMP

Probably the death of Robert F Kennedy.  Wikipedia tells me it was 6 June 68.

rosnarun

Abba winning Eurovision 19774 ( with Waterloo for all you youngsters)
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

GetOverTheBar

Loughinisland, was 9 or so at the time. Didn't really understand or grasp with the world cup etc.

tonto1888

Quote from: CiKe on November 27, 2017, 09:24:28 PM
Think it was the Gibraltar Killings. As Puck says, lot of early memories of faces of people who were murdered on the television

I remember this. A terrible few days. Funny I was chatting to my mum about it a few weeks ago and she said it was the only time her and my dad thought an emigrating. I kind of wish they did

T Fearon

Emigrate? From Ireland? On account of killings in Gibraltar? Don't understand that?

Avondhu star

Quote from: seafoid on November 28, 2017, 03:42:59 AM
John Lennon murder.
The Stardust fire.

They suspended the cartoons for Saturday morning for the 2 stories. All the big people crying.
Stardust was awful. The families were shafted.

What do you know about it?
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Eamonnca1

Quote from: T Fearon on November 28, 2017, 05:46:03 PM
Emigrate? From Ireland? On account of killings in Gibraltar? Don't understand that?

Probably the killing of those army corporals that followed. That was hard to watch. I was sick to my stomach.

Clov

The Ethiopian famine in 1984. I was in P4 at the time and we did a fundraiser of some sort.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

Therealdonald

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 28, 2017, 06:21:49 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on November 28, 2017, 05:46:03 PM

Probably the killing of those army corporals that followed. That was hard to watch. I was sick to my stomach.

Did it ever come out why they were there?

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: armaghniac on November 27, 2017, 06:29:26 PM
Aberfan disaster.

Same here, struck by the news taking over the children's programming and the fact a whole primary school was wiped out.

JoG2

Arthur Scargill battling Attila the Hen. The one the sticks out most though (teenager though)was the 1st Iraq war kicking off when Sportsnight on BBC1 on a Wednesday night was interupted midshow (was the first time I'd heard of CNN who were doing the reporting).. Sitting impatiently waiting on the sport to come back on!

T Fearon

John Lennon was shot on a Monday night,early Tuesday our time.Couldnt have interrupted Saturday cartoons

T Fearon

Oddly enough I have no recollection of soccer or indeed any sport until the World Cup Finals in 1966,even though I was aware of the Kennedy shooting nearly three years earlier.

imtommygunn

Quote from: T Fearon on November 28, 2017, 09:21:13 PM
John Lennon was shot on a Monday night,early Tuesday our time.Couldnt have interrupted Saturday cartoons

You can't mean seafoid is talking crap- he wouldn't do that ;D ;D ;D