Ciaran Sheehan released by Carlton - Massive boost for Cork?

Started by GetOverTheBar, October 20, 2017, 10:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Ciaran Sheehan has been released by Carlton, assuming he comes back to Ireland - this guy was some player when he left, could he be the shot in the arm Cork Football needs?

screenexile

It's not quite as simple as that. . . Has anybody heard form Tommy Walsh since he came home?

GetOverTheBar

Cork aren't quite at Kerry's level, especially in the forward department?

Rawhide

I would be interested to hear folks thoughts on this
The only player that I know who went to play Aussie rules and that returned to become a top inter county GAA player was Anthony Tohill, it seems to me the players that return have more or less been poor versions of the player they were before they left. You could perhaps place Kennelly in that better player bracket.
cccc is a true supporter lol

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Rawhide on October 20, 2017, 11:29:03 AM
The only player that I know who went to play Aussie rules and that returned to become a top inter county GAA player was Anthony Tohill, it seems to me the players that return have more or less been poor versions of the player they were before they left. You could perhaps place Kennelly in that better player bracket.

Marty Clarke the first time he came home.

AZOffaly

The Kildare lad seems to be ok? I think it depends on how long you are out of football. If you are over there for 2 or 3 years, it's going to take time to get back into the swing of things. It is a different game after all.

GetOverTheBar

Brendan Murphy of Carlow surely must be considered a top player?

oakleaflad

Chrissy McKaigue was in better shape physically when he returned and no less of a footballer.

Rawhide

Yeah, Clarke, Murphy and Mc Kaigue have all improved on their return
cccc is a true supporter lol

tonto1888

or came back permanently injured

rodney trotter

Caolan Mooney showed well this year with Down. He didn't hit it off instantly when he came back to play with Down. It takes probaly a year before they get back into the swing of it. Paddy Brophy only returned from Afl in April and was playing for Kildare in the Championship.

vallankumous

seems to be about  the same success rate Senior County gets from minor.

oliverkelly

Paul Earley won an All Star after coming back.Micky Quinn(Longford) aint a bad player along with those mentioned above.

John Heslin and Ciaran Kilkenny if you count there brief spells over there

Syferus

Cork are fairly fûcked either way. You'd assume another club would trial him if he's good enough anyways so this thread is a little quick to jump on his grave.

Sheehan was big and strong and had a good day against Dublin. His distribution and general scoring were never too special so you'd want to adjust your expectations anyways.

rodney trotter

Sheehan was a bit old when he went over there. It's usually 18/19 . He was 24, had a bit of catching up to do.

Be a asset though for Cork if he stays fit.