Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone08

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on May 12, 2019, 09:44:48 PM
Continuing a worrying trend from the league is that Tiernan McCann was badly off the pace.
His defensive abilities were always very questionable but his attacking output always seemed to make up for it to justify him being on the team. But hes not offering anything at all at the moment. Somehow he lasted the 70 minutes, which is obviously down to reputation. Tyrone can't be expecting a long summer with him in this form.

Thought mccann and harte were poor today. They seem to be impossible to sub thought no matter how they play. Mickey would need to be more ruthless in this regard, jim gavin wouldn't hesitate to sub a poor performing player.

Overall it never looked like a game we would lose even when derry got the goal. Bigger battles ahead and i suspect mickey is playing his cards to his chest.

Angelo

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on May 12, 2019, 09:44:48 PM
Continuing a worrying trend from the league is that Tiernan McCann was badly off the pace.
His defensive abilities were always very questionable but his attacking output always seemed to make up for it to justify him being on the team. But hes not offering anything at all at the moment. Somehow he lasted the 70 minutes, which is obviously down to reputation. Tyrone can't be expecting a long summer with him in this form.

I thought McCann was alright, no worse than any of the defence, he played a few nice balls in early on. He was subdued in his attacking forays but defensively he was no worse than any of our backs.

I think defensively we struggled with Derry running at us - Cassidy, Cavanagh, Richie Donnelly and Ben McDonnell all made a number of very poor tackles when they were faced up with a man and this happened across the field.

I find the singling out of McCann bizarre in that regard, we must have been watching different games if he is being singled out for underperfoming. I think it's pretty obvious some people have the narrative set against the likes of Peter Harte and Tiarnan McCann before the ball was thrown in. I would have been critical of Tiernan McCann in the league and thought he might struggle to keep his place this year but I didn't see anything particularly bad from him today, there certainly weren't too many players in that defence putting their hands up ahead of him.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

sam03/05

Poor enough game - Tyrone always a class above even when Derry got goal.
He should  play the likes of Lee Brennan, Ciaran McLaughlan, Benny Galen, McClure, Conal McCann,McCurry all against Antrim. Will will still win easy and would leave Donegal guessing in semi final.

Jayop

Mcshane is turning into Ciarán Donaghy. Hopefully it's not a flash in the pan but f**k me he is unplayable lately.

WT4E

Quote from: Jayop on May 12, 2019, 11:17:45 PM
Mcshane is turning into Ciarán Donaghy. Hopefully it's not a flash in the pan but f**k me he is unplayable lately.

He also has an amazing buzz cut that is more suited to Compton blacks than LeckPatrick whites. Express yourself cathal.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Jayop on May 12, 2019, 11:17:45 PM

Got to give the lad his dues - this time last year you'd have been 50/50 if he was even going to get a starting 15 jersey. Excellent progress - fair play to him. He's more mobile than Donaghy but he's becoming a real menace inside.

Thought Derry gave Tyrone a great game yesterday, as predicted Tyrone went ponderous-enough anyway which is a shame but on this occasion I think Derry just gave them a fight so I'll not get too critical. Peter Harte however was well roasted....albeit by a genuinely top, top player.

Lovely goal by McCurry, shows the belief he has to attempt a finish like that, at that stage. I think this was a good opening test for Tyrone - plenty to work on, Shane McGuigan is a great wee player but he's gave a few of our defenders a wake up call too - looked ropey enough too when big  Padraig Cassidy ran, which was pretty much every time he got the ball.

Ritchie Donnelly too as I write comes to mind, couple of lovely scores early on - maybe faded a bit later, but he was in a big battle.

trailer

Felt Tyrone were sluggish and it was the Derry goal that got them going. Hat's off to McCurry who took his chance brilliantly. Bigger tests ahead this summer. That performance won't cut it. Bar McShane and maybe Frank Burns none of the forwards covered themselves in glory. It looks like we have a load of players who can give us a good 20 mins and that's all.

Club boi

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 12, 2019, 06:18:33 PM
Tyrone 6 points to 1 up in the 19th minute. Colm Cavanagh comes on.

55 minutes gone and Derry are level. Colm off.

For last 19 mins we score 1-6 to 0-03.

Is there anything in this?

By playing a sweeper that everyone has watched for years do the same thing week in week out, Tyrone invited Derry onto them and it didnt suit the game. When Tyrone went man to man when he went off, they blew Derry away

As excellent as he has been, perhaps the new set up and style doesnt suit him

Redhand Santa

I know he tracked back but I didn't think Cavanagh played as an out and out sweeper when he came on. He did look a little of the pace with a recent injury possibly holding him back. We can be very quick to write players off when they're over 30 if they have a bad game. I'd say if he can get himself fit he'll be more than worth his place on the team. He's the kind of physical presence the team needs so hopefully he can get a run at it.

TabClear

Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 13, 2019, 02:37:39 PM
I know he tracked back but I didn't think Cavanagh played as an out and out sweeper when he came on. He did look a little of the pace with a recent injury possibly holding him back. We can be very quick to write players off when they're over 30 if they have a bad game. I'd say if he can get himself fit he'll be more than worth his place on the team. He's the kind of physical presence the team needs so hopefully he can get a run at it.

What age is Colm, 34? Once you get over a certain age its not fitness (as in endurance) that is the problem, its the sharpness/pace that goes and at the highest level you cannot compensate for that regardless of how much training you do. Obviously the type of role he plays will have a bearing on how long he is able to compete for and that sweeping role is probably well suited to an "older" player.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: TabClear on May 13, 2019, 03:16:08 PM

What age is Colm, 34? Once you get over a certain age its not fitness (as in endurance) that is the problem, its the sharpness/pace that goes and at the highest level you cannot compensate for that regardless of how much training you do. Obviously the type of role he plays will have a bearing on how long he is able to compete for and that sweeping role is probably well suited to an "older" player.

I'd say he's around 32. No reason he can't still compete around midfield if fully fit.

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 13, 2019, 03:31:05 PM

I'd say he's around 32. No reason he can't still compete around midfield if fully fit.
Only 31 going by the program yesterday. Making his debut during the 2007 season.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on May 13, 2019, 03:36:57 PM

Only 31 going by the program yesterday. Making his debut during the 2007 season.

Cavanagh started last season slowly as well. He started against Monaghan and clearly wasn't fully fit, and gradually improved his form through the qualifiers before being our best player v Monaghan and Donegal in the Super 8s and winning an all-star off the back of that form. So let's not write him off after one quiet performance.

He has plenty left to give but I agree that he has a challenge on his hands to reinvent himself as a more orthodox midfielder if we are going to move away from the full-time deep lying sweeper system.

TabClear

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on May 13, 2019, 03:36:57 PM

Owe him an apology then, not quite ready to be pensioned off just yet! I did not realise there was as big a gap between him and Sean. From experience its typically around the 33/34 mark when you tend to see a noticeable change in players mobility, assuming they are keeping themselves in shape and training etc.

BennyHarp

I suspect Colm will have a big role to play later in the championship. These early rounds are all arseboxing. Tyrone most likely are taking a calculated gamble that they are going to be in the Super 8. I'm not saying that they purposely played at a slower pace yesterday but id say fitness levels, tactics etc are all geared towards peaking later in the summer. The response to the Derry goal is where I would take most comfort from yesterday, we had an ability to shift up a gear the moment it was required. I'd expect an equally sluggish performance v Antrim next day and Colm might be poor again. I'd still back him to be our stand out player in Croke Park in a few months time...again. 
That was never a square ball!!