Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longballin

Quote from: southtyronegael on February 15, 2018, 09:53:13 AM
Mickey in the Irish news today talking about media with an anti Tyrone 'agenda'. He would be safer sayin nothin.

I though he didn't read the papers... so he told Irish Times

Fuzzman

Sorry if this point annoys some people and I know I've brought it up before but is 2018 the year we once and for all sort out our free taking PROBLEM and yes in my eyes it is a PROBLEM.

Is it not fair to say that most of the top teams have all got quality free takers in that they score most of the frees that they attempt and know their limits.
Yes Dean Rock is at a higher level but why is that? Is it just cos he comes from good stock or is it as simply as practice practice practice.

Mayo have Cillian O'Connor, Kerry have O'Donoghue and Geaney, Donegal have Murphy and McBrearty, even Monaghan have a far better free taker than us.
The reason I bring it up AGAIN is that as far as I see nothing is being done to improve the situation and whilst there is all this talk of a change to our style of play if you think back to the matches we've lost over the last few years, more often that not it's because we're not taking our chances.
Its got to the stage with me now that when we win a free I actually expect us to miss it now.

I hope Lee Brennan, Peter Harte and Skeet are the answer but I'd like to see them stop the chopping and changing and just settle on 2 takers. This nonsense of well if I missed the last one then maybe you have a go at this wan is totally undermining any players confidence.
Hopefully have SoN in there will sort out some of that problem but if we do nothing else in 2018 can we at least get some consistency.

I appreciate its hard to judge this time of year with the weather so bad with wind and wet ground but come summer I just think the other team get such a lift when they see us hiding wide after wide especially when Morgan comes up.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Fuzzman on February 15, 2018, 11:56:50 AM
Sorry if this point annoys some people and I know I've brought it up before but is 2018 the year we once and for all sort out our free taking PROBLEM and yes in my eyes it is a PROBLEM.

Is it not fair to say that most of the top teams have all got quality free takers in that they score most of the frees that they attempt and know their limits.
Yes Dean Rock is at a higher level but why is that? Is it just cos he comes from good stock or is it as simply as practice practice practice.

Mayo have Cillian O'Connor, Kerry have O'Donoghue and Geaney, Donegal have Murphy and McBrearty, even Monaghan have a far better free taker than us.
The reason I bring it up AGAIN is that as far as I see nothing is being done to improve the situation and whilst there is all this talk of a change to our style of play if you think back to the matches we've lost over the last few years, more often that not it's because we're not taking our chances.
Its got to the stage with me now that when we win a free I actually expect us to miss it now.

I hope Lee Brennan, Peter Harte and Skeet are the answer but I'd like to see them stop the chopping and changing and just settle on 2 takers. This nonsense of well if I missed the last one then maybe you have a go at this wan is totally undermining any players confidence.
Hopefully have SoN in there will sort out some of that problem but if we do nothing else in 2018 can we at least get some consistency.

I appreciate its hard to judge this time of year with the weather so bad with wind and wet ground but come summer I just think the other team get such a lift when they see us hiding wide after wide especially when Morgan comes up.

It's Mickey Harte's fault he's up there in the first place, he should be nowhere near the kicks. It's different at club level where he bangs them over - his body is warmed up and ready when he's outfield for the club. When your in nets, not to annoy our goalkeepers of the board but essentially you just stand there for the vast majority of the game barking orders. How can you be ready? The run up, you've too much going on in your mind. It's just a waste of time, unless of course you are Stephen Cluxton.

Sean Cavanagh had no bother kicking these scores for the Moy in the last few weeks, why did he not step up, as captain in the past few years?

Morgan is a sacrificial lamb no harm, the 14 lads outfield on any given day are the 14 best that Tyrone have to offer their opposition, if we can't muster a score from free kicks from those guys then that says more about what Tyrone Club Football is producing to be honest.

Agree totally with Fuzzman, until Tyrone sort out the freekick taking, they'll remain a tier two team as the best, Dublin/Mayo and Kerry will know rightly they can get away with tactical fouls in and around the limits of the 45.

tyroneman

"Sean Cavanagh had no bother kicking these scores for the Moy in the last few weeks, why did he not step up, as captain in the past few years?"

He did.....

Tyrone Dreamer

Yeah Cavanagh took most of the right sided frees last year and Harte the one's on the left. The only one's Morgan got a go at it were one's outside Cavanagh's range.  Free's weren't as much of an issue last year though I'd still have concerns about them this year.

Looking at the team sheet for Saturday it confirm's that Harte is more than happy to mix it up in the McKenna Cup. It's a myth that he only wins it by playing stronger teams than the opposition.

Club boi

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on February 16, 2018, 08:08:27 AM
Yeah Cavanagh took most of the right sided frees last year and Harte the one's on the left. The only one's Morgan got a go at it were one's outside Cavanagh's range.  Free's weren't as much of an issue last year though I'd still have concerns about them this year.

Looking at the team sheet for Saturday it confirm's that Harte is more than happy to mix it up in the McKenna Cup. It's a myth that he only wins it by playing stronger teams than the opposition.

LOL ......... Oh your actually serious

Harte has constantly played several senior players in the competition while others like Donegal have played their Under 21's and many others have used it as trial games for the league. If this game had of been played before the league started, Tyrone would have a much stronger team out. This gives fringe players a game to keep them from walking

Tyrone Gaa

I like the look of the Tyrone selection.  It is a strong line up and Mickey is looking to hold onto his McKenna Cup.  I'm expecting a strong Donegal line up also, not aware if it has been released yet. 
Living the dream!!!

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: tyroneman on February 16, 2018, 08:01:04 AM
"Sean Cavanagh had no bother kicking these scores for the Moy in the last few weeks, why did he not step up, as captain in the past few years?"

He did.....

Did he really? I'm not talking about the handy 30 yard ones out. Anyway, he's gone and the point remains. If the 14 best outfield players that are on any pitch representing Tyrone cannot pull a reliable kicker, I fail to see how things will improve. Sending a keeper up to take is purely playing percentage football.

skeog

Must be a last chance for several starters tomorrow night bench is full of first teamers.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: Club boi on February 16, 2018, 09:05:35 AM

Harte has constantly played several senior players in the competition while others like Donegal have played their Under 21's and many others have used it as trial games for the league. If this game had of been played before the league started, Tyrone would have a much stronger team out. This gives fringe players a game to keep them from walking

I'm 100% serious. Yes in a few of the years Donegal have played u21 teams but they're the only county to do that. And if you look at the teams Donegal put out this year it contained numerous starters. I remember the year after Donegal were in the all ireland final they played Tyrone with something like 11 starters from that team in a game in Letterkenny. Tyrone only had 4 or 5 first team players on.

Harte like every other manager has continually rotated his squad during the McKenna cup over the years. If you look back at the semi finals and finals over the last 7 years you will find on a lot of occasions the opposition had more first team players on than Tyrone. Tyrone most of the years have had a stronger squad than the other counties in ulster which is a big factor in the successes.

Dire Ear

That's as poor a Tyrone team as I've seen in manys a year.  Would expect Donegal to win, fairly easily

Boghopper

What odds about the McKenna Cup perserving our Division 1 status is more important.

lenny

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on February 16, 2018, 10:52:45 AM
Quote from: Club boi on February 16, 2018, 09:05:35 AM

I'm 100% serious. Yes in a few of the years Donegal have played u21 teams but they're the only county to do that. And if you look at the teams Donegal put out this year it contained numerous starters. I remember the year after Donegal were in the all ireland final they played Tyrone with something like 11 starters from that team in a game in Letterkenny. Tyrone only had 4 or 5 first team players on.

Harte like every other manager has continually rotated his squad during the McKenna cup over the years. If you look back at the semi finals and finals over the last 7 years you will find on a lot of occasions the opposition had more first team players on than Tyrone. Tyrone most of the years have had a stronger squad than the other counties in ulster which is a big factor in the successes.

Lol you're living up to your name. Complete dreamer. Tyrone have consistently named a much stronger team than any other county in the Mckenna cup for years.

southtyronegael

captain mattie up to his old tricks again tonight. even second string tyrone incredibly poor.

omagh_gael

By f**k you're one seriously moaning aul bollix. Do you ever just think why you bother watching if it's such a chore?

That was a meaningless game that allowed some of the fringe element to get a run out. The only thing I took from it was K McGeary was in fine form and McHugh played himself out of NFL time by wasting possession and taking on some crazy efforts.

Done and dusted and onwards to Castleblayney.