The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 18, 2018, 02:09:59 PM
Open to correction but in my opinion we tend to struggle at this tournament (bar the year we had Ryan, Stockdale, Porter etc.) due to the physicality and intense nature of regular games. Injuries and squad size really take their toll and our 2nd and 3rd choice in key positions isnt of the standard to that of opposition. Our sides tend to be a lot smaller and pitted in an extremely tough group - France (winners) and S.A (3rd place) we struggled - even though we could have beat them! Coupled with the fact it was arguably the best underage side Georgia have produced.

I'm not trying to make excuses for a disappointing tournament but the end goal is to produce professional players and we'll be fine in that department. Like an exceptional minor GAA side and an average one, you tend to get 2-3 seniors max!

This article on England tells you winning it isnt the be all and end all.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/englands-2016-u20-world-cup-winning-side-now/

It's very much about development but 2 of the best 3 sides this year Fra and SA were in Ireland's group and we had them in the first two games and we went toe toe with them. After that physicality, those 2 were big sides, lost confidence, lack of squad depth takes it toil. Ireland dominated possession and territory against Georgia, couldn't take their opportunities though. Georgia rode their luck and took their chances. Scotland though was a poor performance and that was the one that reflects poorly on the group as a whole. Noel Mc though has had a poor year, he will learn from it.
#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 18, 2018, 02:09:59 PM
Open to correction but in my opinion we tend to struggle at this tournament (bar the year we had Ryan, Stockdale, Porter etc.) due to the physicality and intense nature of regular games. Injuries and squad size really take their toll and our 2nd and 3rd choice in key positions isnt of the standard to that of opposition. Our sides tend to be a lot smaller and pitted in an extremely tough group - France (winners) and S.A (3rd place) we struggled - even though we could have beat them! Coupled with the fact it was arguably the best underage side Georgia have produced.

I'm not trying to make excuses for a disappointing tournament but the end goal is to produce professional players and we'll be fine in that department. Like an exceptional minor GAA side and an average one, you tend to get 2-3 seniors max!

This article on England tells you winning it isnt the be all and end all.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/englands-2016-u20-world-cup-winning-side-now/
4 of them held back by injuries
England had 18 or something on the injury list at the start of the 6N
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Rudi on June 18, 2018, 02:32:16 PM
8/13 to beat Australia.

Won't be rushing to the bookies on those odds - it's an evens game for both sides I feel. Genia will be a miss to the Wallbies.

dec

Heineken Champions Cup 2018-19 draw

Pool One: Leinster, Wasps, Toulouse, Bath

Pool Two: Castres, Exeter Chiefs, Munster, Gloucester

Pool Three: Saracens, Glasgow Warriors, Lyon, Cardiff Blues

Pool Four: Scarlets, Racing 92, Leicester Tigers, Ulster

Pool Five: Montpellier, Newcastle Falcons, Edinburgh, Toulon

Challenge Cup 2018-19 draw

Pool One: Northampton, Clermont Auvergne, Dragons, Timisoara Saracens

Pool Two: Pau, Ospreys, Worcester, Stade Francais

Pool Three: Sale Sharks, Connacht, Bordeaux-Begles, Perpignan

Pool Four: La Rochelle, Zebre, Bristol, Enisei-STM

Pool Five: Benetton, Harlequins, Agen, Grenoble

lfdown2

screenexile

Quote from: lfdown2 on June 23, 2018, 12:00:10 PM
Any links for the game?

We'll see what this Irish team is made of now!!! Set up for a great finish Aussie in the ascendancy here!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on June 23, 2018, 12:34:56 PM
Quote from: lfdown2 on June 23, 2018, 12:00:10 PM
Any links for the game?

We'll see what this Irish team is made of now!!! Set up for a great finish Aussie in the ascendancy here!
Aussies have bossed the last period and feels like they'll finish it off now.

screenexile

Ireland can't get a hold of the ball

JoG2

Edge of the seat stuff there. Some effort in the last 20 mins to keep the Aussie's at bay. Great to get the series win, well earned

screenexile

Fair play that was manly stuff!!

Tony Baloney

Good finish. I'm sure Chieka will be magnanimous  ;D

DuffleKing

Is there anywhere these matches can be watched?

Capt Pat

Quote from: DuffleKing on June 24, 2018, 07:48:11 AM

Is there anywhere these matches can be watched?

Somebody put up the whole of last weeks match on youtube. They might do the same with yesterdays

Walter Cronc

Insane Bolt

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 26, 2018, 09:54:50 AM
Good read from the mole on Eddie Jones!

https://dementedmole.com/2018/06/25/eddie-jonestown-massacre/

Excellent points in relation to amount of games they play in Premiership. You couldn't like Jones if you reared him....England rugby deserves him. The 'blazers' at HQ are equally arrogant pricks. For me the stand out choice as coach was Conor O'Shea....but they wouldn't have a paddy about the place.