2020/21 All Ireland Football Championship

Started by Angelo, June 06, 2020, 10:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Boone

Quote from: thewobbler on June 29, 2020, 12:01:51 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 28, 2020, 11:56:00 PM
I'd say the losers of Tyrone/Donegal and Ros/Mayowestros will be awful excited about turning the clock back to 2000.

Is Eire90 related to Smurfy?

This really has to boil down to whether their chances of winning an AI are improved or reduced by straight knockout? As I'm assuming that they're all title-driven enough to assess that losing in the first round or the semi final doesn't change the assessment of their season by much.

I'd argue all day and night that the only team who profits from a second bite of the cherry is the best team in the country. It afford them an off day, before resuming the status quo. That's not Tyrone, Donegal, Mayo or Roscommon.

Plus it's only 2-3 months until start of the 2021 season, so it won't be the same deflation as losing by a point at the height of summer when you know you have have a good team.

Rossfan

I have to agree with Pateen for once....
Once it was decided to go knock out they should have gone with a 32 County draw.
Would have brought a but if fairness to it.
Anyway the die is cast so it's all up to the Covid now.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

the goal was on

For fairness it should have been an open draw. Galway 2 games to get to semi, monaghan 4. Where is fairness in that. Total joke and wouldnt be accepted in any other competitive sport. Problem is the provincial councils have too much say and they don't give one hoot about fairness only ££££'s

Rossfan

Seems Galway have won Connacht  already?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Rossfan on June 29, 2020, 01:48:59 PM
Seems Galway have won Connacht  already?

After the last few years how anyone could assume this is beyond me, Mayo haven't even been in a Connacht final since 2015 - nevermind winning it - and have been the best team in the province during that time, they are way overdue a win. Galway had two shots at making the Super 8s playing both of the main Connacht rivals and were comprehensively beaten both times. Roscommon have zero fear of Galway.
Connacht is competitive in terms of that I wouldn't be surprised to see any of Roscommon, Mayo or Galway in the All Ireland semi-final, but Galway are bookies faves due to the advantage of not having to beat both Mayo and Roscommon en route.

Quote from: the goal was on on June 29, 2020, 01:34:50 PM
For fairness it should have been an open draw. Galway 2 games to get to semi, monaghan 4. Where is fairness in that. Total joke and wouldnt be accepted in any other competitive sport. Problem is the provincial councils have too much say and they don't give one hoot about fairness only ££££'s
There is no fairness in the AI structures but this has been the case for the entirety of the inter county game, Ulster teams are shafted the most under this format no doubt whatsoever about that, but Leinster and Munster is a complete joke, Dubs are going for 10 in a row, Kerry 8. At least there is some competition in the west, you cannot say with any certainty that Galway will get out of the province but the numbers game is what it is unless the provinces are abandoned.

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on June 29, 2020, 11:40:47 AM
I have to agree with Pateen for once....
Once it was decided to go knock out they should have gone with a 32 County draw.
Would have brought a but if fairness to it.
Anyway the die is cast so it's all up to the Covid now.

Yes I agree. Spillane said similar last night. Although I doubt he ever called for an open draw when he was winning handy AIs as a player. He didn't give a shit about Down or Armagh having to win 4 tough games to win Ulster back then.

Eire90

the only reason leinster seen negative is cause of Dublin but you still need to to win at least 3 games to win it unlike Munster where kerry need to win two

Eire90

they'll be a lot of moaning if tyrone get knocked out first game

Eire90

Yes provincials are seen as too precious for some reason

rodney trotter

You seem to be chatting away to yourself there

Cunny Funt

If all Connacht championship games are to be played in Croke Park it has to be advantage Mayo. Only Dublin are more use to that venue and have a better record in the last 8 or 9 years.

rodney trotter

Every County should have flood lit grounds. Connacht GAA built a Centre of excellence in Mayo and are currently building a indoor 3g pitch. The largest indoor pitch in Europe.  Might be of use in Winter,but could have used the money for the County grounds in the province

Eire90

whats the reason of playing connaught championship games in croke park

Eire90

So is their no floodlights in any ground in connaught