Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knock Yer Mucker In

Quote from: Angelo on November 08, 2019, 10:19:58 AM
What positions do we think we are lacking in currently on the panel?

I think Rory Brennan and McNamee are nailed on in the full back line now after they performed really well last year but I think we need more reliable man markers here in addition to them. Hampsey needs to get back to fitness and I think he will generally slot in wherever we need a man marking job done - similar to Conor Gormley in his day. The likes of Eoghan Murray, Niall Kelly and Conall Grimes might be worth a look here.

I think 6 is a gaping hole in our team, we conceded an enormous amount of goals from players running through us at the middle last year, we need to position a player there who is an intelligent player with good positional sense - there are currently no standout players for this spot in our current panel. Possibly Michael O'Neill from Ardboe but he's more likely another attacking half back

Not sure if Colm Cavanagh will come back this year, he's definitely in decline but I still feel that he would have something to offer as an impact sub in helping us close out games with his experience and aerial ability. I'd expect Con Kilpatrick is a cert for a call up and Paudie McNulty may also be in line for a call up.

I think our half forward line let us down badly in terms of scores last year, Sludden had a really poor year and Peter Harte had some periods of good form in the league but he really failed to get going in the Championship. I think we need a dynamic scoring wing forward who is good for chipping in with a few scores consistently. Meyler and McGeary get through a lot of work for us in that area but neither impact the scoreboard enough. Cassidy and Burns did well on the scoring front from the HB line last year but I think they are better coming from deep. I can't think of too many standout choices here - maybe Mulgrew will get a break with injuries and push on this season. Ryan Gray has had a good year for Trillick and I like what I saw of Nathan Donnelly a few years back with Killyclogher.

The FF line has been massively aided by McShane's peformances last season, we have plenty of talented forwards in there who can play as a foil off of him - McCurry, McAliskey, Bradley, Brennan (if he returns) and other younger players around the county like Canavan, T Quinn, E McNabb but the modern game doesn't really suit these guys playing inside. I think we need to find more physical players as an alternative to McShane in case he is unavailable as he is absolutely vital to our plans. I think Moy's Ryan Coleman is certainly worth a look in this regard. I also think Paul Donaghy is worth a look at in terms of partnering McShane inside, he's a big lad and he knows where the posts are. ]

I'd be looking to leave both M Donnelly and P Harte inside as much as possible next year. I thought both their best form last year came when they were playing inside, Harte had a few brilliant games in the league when we was inside, he was MOTM in the league game against Monaghan and scored fairly well. Donnelly also had his best games inside, the league match with Dublin and Super 8s tie with Cork sticking out.

I'd hope there's a bit of a cull in some of the fringe players, there's quite a few there for a while now who have not broken in. Wouldn't mind seeing Coney get 3 or 4 successive starts at 11 in the league to see if he's up to it. He gives us something different than what we already have there.

I'm telling you, Danny McNulty is in some condition at the minute. He has transformed himself since returning from injury. Has been in superb form for the club in championship and league since injury. I thought earlier that he was shot, but he has completely turned the corner. He can win some ball. He is easily county standard in this shape, him and Mc Shane would be some target. Young Canavan needs to be CHF

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Pearse Blue on November 08, 2019, 11:21:29 AM

I think Rory Brennan and McNamee are nailed on in the full back line now after they performed really well last year but I think we need more reliable man markers here in addition to them. Hampsey needs to get back to fitness and I think he will generally slot in wherever we need a man marking job done - similar to Conor Gormley in his day. The likes of Eoghan Murray, Niall Kelly and Conall Grimes might be worth a look here.

I think 6 is a gaping hole in our team, we conceded an enormous amount of goals from players running through us at the middle last year, we need to position a player there who is an intelligent player with good positional sense - there are currently no standout players for this spot in our current panel. Possibly Michael O'Neill from Ardboe but he's more likely another attacking half back

Not sure if Colm Cavanagh will come back this year, he's definitely in decline but I still feel that he would have something to offer as an impact sub in helping us close out games with his experience and aerial ability. I'd expect Con Kilpatrick is a cert for a call up and Paudie McNulty may also be in line for a call up.

I think our half forward line let us down badly in terms of scores last year, Sludden had a really poor year and Peter Harte had some periods of good form in the league but he really failed to get going in the Championship. I think we need a dynamic scoring wing forward who is good for chipping in with a few scores consistently. Meyler and McGeary get through a lot of work for us in that area but neither impact the scoreboard enough. Cassidy and Burns did well on the scoring front from the HB line last year but I think they are better coming from deep. I can't think of too many standout choices here - maybe Mulgrew will get a break with injuries and push on this season. Ryan Gray has had a good year for Trillick and I like what I saw of Nathan Donnelly a few years back with Killyclogher.

The FF line has been massively aided by McShane's peformances last season, we have plenty of talented forwards in there who can play as a foil off of him - McCurry, McAliskey, Bradley, Brennan (if he returns) and other younger players around the county like Canavan, T Quinn, E McNabb but the modern game doesn't really suit these guys playing inside. I think we need to find more physical players as an alternative to McShane in case he is unavailable as he is absolutely vital to our plans. I think Moy's Ryan Coleman is certainly worth a look in this regard. I also think Paul Donaghy is worth a look at in terms of partnering McShane inside, he's a big lad and he knows where the posts are. ]

I'd be looking to leave both M Donnelly and P Harte inside as much as possible next year. I thought both their best form last year came when they were playing inside, Harte had a few brilliant games in the league when we was inside, he was MOTM in the league game against Monaghan and scored fairly well. Donnelly also had his best games inside, the league match with Dublin and Super 8s tie with Cork sticking out.

I'd hope there's a bit of a cull in some of the fringe players, there's quite a few there for a while now who have not broken in. Wouldn't mind seeing Coney get 3 or 4 successive starts at 11 in the league to see if he's up to it. He gives us something different than what we already have there.
Don't think Mickey Harte is taking any more job applications, nor do i think he reads the discussion board for advice.. Get back to work ffs

The man put together a well informed, opinionated and reasoned post.

Absolutely no reason for you to reply to it at all, unless you want to get into a discussion. Why did you even feel need to reply like that so critically?

People like you are ruining the board, sniping in the long grass because you can barely type a sentence yourselves.

For what it's worth, Angelo posted a lot of good points and seems to be a genuine gael. I don't agree with all he's posted but I certainly would rather his post 1000 times over something like yours.

God14

Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on November 08, 2019, 01:46:53 PM

I'm telling you, Danny McNulty is in some condition at the minute. He has transformed himself since returning from injury. Has been in superb form for the club in championship and league since injury. I thought earlier that he was shot, but he has completely turned the corner. He can win some ball. He is easily county standard in this shape, him and Mc Shane would be some target. Young Canavan needs to be CHF

Would be some asset alright. Exactly what we have been crying out for. Hope he makes himself available.

samuel maguire

Quote from: Pearse Blue on November 08, 2019, 11:21:29 AM

Don't think Mickey Harte is taking any more job applications, nor do i think he reads the discussion board for advice.. Get back to work ffs

Your a complete clown. This well a well put together opinion and idiots like you have to take the piss. You need a good slap imo. Angelo, don't let fools like this put you off posting, I quiet enjoy your opinions

Angelo

Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on November 08, 2019, 01:46:53 PM

I didn't see McNulty in action this year, but by all accounts he was extremely impressive in the Championship which was a big surprise as going by what I was hearing about him this time last year it seemed likely he was going to jack in football altogether due to injury troubles.

In terms of ability and his physical attributes, he could be perfect for intercounty football but I'd have doubts whether he can sustain the physical demands of intercounty football. Hopefully he gets his chance if he is good shape and take it.

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

southtyronegael

Irish news says injury blow for Tyrone ahead of league. Anyone here who?

RedHand88

Quote from: southtyronegael on November 11, 2019, 10:15:11 PM

Mattie Donnelly for 6 months. Tore hamstring.

toby47

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 11, 2019, 10:15:51 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on November 11, 2019, 10:15:11 PM

Mattie Donnelly for 6 months. Tore hamstring.

TYRONE have been dealt a major blow with the news their captain and talisman Mattie Donnelly looks set to miss next year's National League campaign.

The Trillick clubman sustained the injury in a recent Ulster club quarter-final clash with Derrygonnelly at Brewster Park, a game St Macartan's lost on penalties. Donnelly is to have surgery in a hospital in London today and faces up to six months on the sidelines.

"Unfortunately, it's a bad injury," said Donnelly.
"I got the results of the scan there last week and it has revealed that one of the tendons of the bone on the hamstring has become detached. The only way around it is surgical intervention but I'm in good hands with Tyrone with Louis O'Connor and now Johnny Davis on board, so I have the best of the best looking after me."
"So I have a few months of rehab ahead of me," he added.
"It's the best of a bad bunch. There is never a good time to get injured, but this is probably the pick of the season when there is not much happening in the winter months.
"I will put the head down and be diligent with the rehab as I'm at that age now, with Tyrone panels you need to be coming back in good shape."

It's not the news Tyrone manager Mickey Harte would have been hoping for, especially with a competitive Division One ahead next season when a good start to the campaign is essential.

The Sweeper.com

A few Ulster Counties out training already.

Anyone know when Tyrone commence or any names of new call ups?

southtyronegael

I see the article on Mattie Donnelly in Irish news is written by a Kevin Kelly. Teamtalk Kevin Kelly?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: The Sweeper.com on November 12, 2019, 09:21:50 AM

Tyrone can't officially start to December due to being in the Semi Finals I think.

Like the rest, they are training away - the new S/C guy is working away already, this is an instance of having no gym (to brag of) at Garvaghy actually helps Tyrone as they aren't actually collective training...just a bunch of high level enthusiasts meeting up in two gyms at two sides of the county....ahem.

skeog

Kevin Kelly is a Journalist so what is unusual about it.Have to say Matthew showed tremendous courage to re-enter the fray with an injury as serious as his.Every team in Ulster are back training a month ago nothing unusual about that either.

southtyronegael

Quote from: skeog on November 12, 2019, 10:28:36 AM
Kevin Kelly is a Journalist so what is unusual about it.Have to say Matthew showed tremendous courage to re-enter the fray with an injury as serious as his.Every team in Ulster are back training a month ago nothing unusual about that either.
I didn't say it was unusual, just wondered if it was the same Kevin Kelly.

redzone

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on November 12, 2019, 10:10:59 AM
Quote from: The Sweeper.com on November 12, 2019, 09:21:50 AM

Tyrone can't officially start to December due to being in the Semi Finals I think.

Like the rest, they are training away - the new S/C guy is working away already, this is an instance of having no gym (to brag of) at Garvaghy actually helps Tyrone as they aren't actually collective training...just a bunch of high level enthusiasts meeting up in two gyms at two sides of the county....ahem.

No they aren't

FermGael

Quote from: skeog on November 12, 2019, 10:28:36 AM

No doubt about that but unfortunately he wasn't fit to play and due to that he gave away the free  that Derrygonnelly got the equaliser from.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered