Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on October 18, 2019, 07:02:57 PM
Quote from: t_mac on October 18, 2019, 03:43:22 PM
Quote from: screenexile on October 18, 2019, 03:27:05 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on October 18, 2019, 03:12:24 PM
Quote from: trailer on October 18, 2019, 11:18:23 AM
I don't think this is a good deal. I'm worried about barriers East West. Declarations, tarrifs, trusted trader schemes paperwork etc. I appreciate that it does avoid a hard border which is key but a NI only backstop would be a better solution. This deal I feel isolates NI from GB and the EU. It could be the worst of both worlds.

Not often I agree with you, but I'm broadly of the same attitude.

Its a terrible deal for NI.

A crash out no deal might even be better - as it would get folks backs up over being clearly and obviously hung out by the English and have many unionists (with a small u) seriously looking at a border poll. Whereas with this, its a bit more nefarious and nebulous enough for the DUP to sell the economic basket case as not of their or Westminster's doing - all Dublin's fault etc etc.

Why??

I was thinking the same!

1. Cost of importing from UK is going to rise significantly (processing tax).
2. Cost of exporting to EU is going to rise significantly (processing tax that can be reclaimed).
3. No long term regulatory alignment. Businesses can not and will not invest millions/billions whenever the entire tax and regulatory landscape could shift within 4 years via Stormont.
4. Divergence from UK regulations over time. So then NI is aligned to EU, on a consistently temporary basis and not aligned to UK, also on a consistently temporary basis.

3 and 4 are the big ones. Investment will stagnate as everyone will be scared to commit much.

Backstop offered much better basis for long term decisions.

Exactly my reading.
Interestingly you're not being attacked and derided while I am for essentially saying the same thing.

Franko

Quote from: trailer on October 18, 2019, 10:26:53 PM
I don't think this is a good deal. I'm worried about barriers East West. Declarations, tarrifs, trusted trader schemes paperwork etc. I appreciate that it does avoid a hard border which is key but a NI only backstop would be a better solution. This deal I feel isolates NI from GB and the EU. It could be the worst of both worlds.

A crash out no deal might even be better - as it would get folks backs up over being clearly and obviously hung out by the English and have many unionists (with a small u) seriously looking at a border poll. Whereas with this, its a bit more nefarious and nebulous enough for the DUP to sell the economic basket case as not of their or Westminster's doing - all Dublin's fault etc etc.

Why??

I was thinking the same!

2. Cost of exporting to EU is going to rise significantly (processing tax that can be reclaimed).
3. No long term regulatory alignment. Businesses can not and will not invest millions/billions whenever the entire tax and regulatory landscape could shift within 4 years via Stormont.
4. Divergence from UK regulations over time. So then NI is aligned to EU, on a consistently temporary basis and not aligned to UK, also on a consistently temporary basis.

3 and 4 are the big ones. Investment will stagnate as everyone will be scared to commit much.

Exactly my reading.
Interestingly you're not being attacked and derided while I am for essentially saying the same thing.

Dry up.

Whinging cnut.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 18, 2019, 08:12:17 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on October 18, 2019, 07:21:44 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 18, 2019, 07:01:04 PM
Quote from: marty34 on October 18, 2019, 04:12:05 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 18, 2019, 10:27:30 AM
Sinn Féin are an irrelevance. Banging bin lids at the border, james mc clean shirts at Brussels, school boy politicians. Don't see myself as either a FF or FGer but my God the difference in standard of politician south of the border is stark. We have a pile of sub standard politicians up here who are only there because the Brits pushed them to where they are.

You hate SF - fair enough but you're blinkered by saying politicans in south are a class apart.  Look at the health service, the new children's hospital, not to mention the housing/ homelessness crisis.

Look at Boris across the way, then check out Mr. Trump in America - great characters who are in the top role.

I think you just want a dig at SF for whatever reason.

We have all those problems and worse here in Galliagh. I first  got vote in 91. Armed struggle was still going on, SF had 10%, I voted them every year without exception until last year.

Then the blinkers came off. Bullies, jobs for the boys, robots, money grabbers, abortion, welfare reform. My city is going down tubes under Elisha dolittle. She hasn't  titter of wit..come up here to the city to see the drugs, suicide, shite jobs etc under their watch. Banging binlids on the border ffs. Whilst men are lining up at the bridge. See the boys who fought the fight drinking themselves to death whilst the careers men get cushy community jobs.
A big disingenuous to blame  Elisha McCallion for years of neglect given she's only been MP for the area for a short time. The SDLP has held the seat for years so surely some, if not all, of your angst should be pointed in that general direction

Mere to i tell you mucker if you aren't from the City don't get into it with me.

She is in the job ciz she is Martina Anderson niece. She's not to blame for her husband battery 2 pensioners but she is to blame for trying to get them to drop charges.

John Hume was last person to  bring jobs to Derry. SDLP have many faults but you can't apportion one of those things I listed against them
John Hume stopped being an MP in 2005, so what you're really saying is that his successor did nothing. As far as I remember the SDLP held the seat until 2017 but here don't let the truth stand in the way of a good story
Careful now

trailer

Quote from: Franko on October 18, 2019, 10:44:59 PM
Quote from: trailer on October 18, 2019, 10:26:53 PM

Why??

I was thinking the same!

Exactly my reading.

Dry up.

Whinging cnut.

Personal abuse. Reported

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: hardstation on October 18, 2019, 11:22:34 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on October 18, 2019, 10:48:15 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 18, 2019, 08:12:17 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on October 18, 2019, 07:21:44 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 18, 2019, 07:01:04 PM
Quote from: marty34 on October 18, 2019, 04:12:05 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 18, 2019, 10:27:30 AM
Sinn Féin are an irrelevance. Banging bin lids at the border, james mc clean shirts at Brussels, school boy politicians. Don't see myself as either a FF or FGer but my God the difference in standard of politician south of the border is stark. We have a pile of sub standard politicians up here who are only there because the Brits pushed them to where they are.

You hate SF - fair enough but you're blinkered by saying politicans in south are a class apart.  Look at the health service, the new children's hospital, not to mention the housing/ homelessness crisis.

Look at Boris across the way, then check out Mr. Trump in America - great characters who are in the top role.

I think you just want a dig at SF for whatever reason.

We have all those problems and worse here in Galliagh. I first  got vote in 91. Armed struggle was still going on, SF had 10%, I voted them every year without exception until last year.

Then the blinkers came off. Bullies, jobs for the boys, robots, money grabbers, abortion, welfare reform. My city is going down tubes under Elisha dolittle. She hasn't  titter of wit..come up here to the city to see the drugs, suicide, shite jobs etc under their watch. Banging binlids on the border ffs. Whilst men are lining up at the bridge. See the boys who fought the fight drinking themselves to death whilst the careers men get cushy community jobs.
A big disingenuous to blame  Elisha McCallion for years of neglect given she's only been MP for the area for a short time. The SDLP has held the seat for years so surely some, if not all, of your angst should be pointed in that general direction

Mere to i tell you mucker if you aren't from the City don't get into it with me.

She is in the job ciz she is Martina Anderson niece. She's not to blame for her husband battery 2 pensioners but she is to blame for trying to get them to drop charges.

John Hume was last person to  bring jobs to Derry. SDLP have many faults but you can't apportion one of those things I listed against them
John Hume stopped being an MP in 2005, so what you're really saying is that his successor did nothing. As far as I remember the SDLP held the seat until 2017 but here don't let the truth stand in the way of a good story
To be fair, throw his entire post on to west Belfast and he's on the money. We can't complain. We vote them in our thousands. There is an ingrained vote. There is also little else. Meanwhile, they occupy their time snapping up every property they can on the main routes for grant-aided "projects". They have bought the half of us and intimidated the other half. Indeed.

There is a wee working class community 100 houses. Right bang on the border. 1 field between it and Donegal. It's called Coshquin. People might have heard of it, its where patsy Gillespie got blew to bits. Last year the residents discovered that there was a creche there empty. The locals tried to negotiate a way to take it over. All of a sudden Sinn féin landed. They had a meeting. The people said thanks for support but this is a residents group, you are welcome to help . Sinn féin couldnt get full control. Guess what, they pulled out, no support and they helped block access to the empty creche

Windmill abu

The "Boris Deal" with all its issues, if passed by Parliament tomorrow, is the biggest step in aligning the north and south of this country in economic terms since partition. It will mean that when a unity vote is carried out has passed there will be less regulatory changes required to make the change as easy as possible.

Maybe Boris Johnston will be come known as the second Liberator and like his predecessor Daniel O'Connell have a street in Dublin named after him
Never underestimate the power of complaining

omaghjoe

Seems like the ERG are all coming on board even Mark Francois and Peter Bone are going to back it... haven't heard about Bill Cash, also sounds like a good number of those that lost the whip a few weeks back are going to back it.
Some reports that at least 11 Labour MPs said they'll rebel... the stars could actually be aligning for BJ.

I still dont think that many Labour MPs will rebel.... but we'll see

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 18, 2019, 08:28:51 PM
House of Commons to vote through withdrawal agreement on October 19:

Yes: 4/5
No: 6/5

I wonder if a second referendum can be attached to it as a condition for some opposition support.

Update:
Yes: 8/11
No: 11/10

I read that as a passage in the Commons looking slightly more likely.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 19, 2019, 12:34:53 AM

I wonder if a second referendum can be attached to it as a condition for some opposition support.

Update:

Hedging?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 19, 2019, 12:34:53 AM

Update:

Yes: 13/18

Farrandeelin

What time is the vote due to take place?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

t_mac

No vote if Letwin amendment passed, everyone to be sent home.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: t_mac on October 19, 2019, 09:33:25 AM

And what the hell happens then?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

t_mac

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 19, 2019, 09:50:41 AM
Quote from: t_mac on October 19, 2019, 09:33:25 AM

And what the hell happens then?

Benn Act kicks in.

t_mac

Letwin passes, Benn Act kicks in meaning Boris has to ask for an extension by 11pm tonight.  8)