Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: laoislad on July 21, 2022, 03:37:48 PM
Quote from: screenexile on January 17, 2022, 01:49:29 PM
Quote from: laoislad on January 17, 2022, 12:57:16 PM
Quote from: The Bearded One on December 20, 2021, 09:08:04 AM
Thanks @laoislad it's great news (provided I am lucky!)
Ballot results announce today, did you get in?

Was successful as well!! Have never ran more than 10km so this will be a big step up... something to aim for though and I've always wanted to do a marathon.
100 days to go from today!
How's the training going lads?
I just started the training plan this week. Have been doing loads the last few months but the actual plan only started this week.
Only 55 days left now! How's everyone getting on?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

An Watcher

Another good performance from Mageann today

johnnycool

Quote from: An Watcher on September 08, 2022, 11:05:24 PM
Another good performance from Mageann today

second to Kipyegon but evidently a slower race than last friday night, probably caught out in the very fast last lap.

She's talked about working with a sprint coach to improve her finishing speed so we'll see how that goes next year.

Onwards and upwards.

CK_Redhand

20.12 at parkrun today. Getting there

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CK_Redhand on September 10, 2022, 10:26:57 AM
20.12 at parkrun today. Getting there

Bravo 🙌

Just saw a PB and Waterworks parkrun record of 14.47!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Kipchoge ran a Marathon World Record in Berlin this morning. 2:01:09
New target for me to aim for in Dublin in a few weeks.

imtommygunn

Sub one hour for the first half then suffered for the second half.  Some athlete.

andoireabu

Marathon coming up now in a couple of weeks and trying to decide on a strategy to hit my time, wondering if any of you have something that you stick with.  I've three in my head but don't know which to go with yet:

1. Try and keep a consistent pace the whole way around and try and hit the halfway mark bang on 2 hours and then hope I have the legs saved to keep the same pace for the second half

2. Let the 4hr pacer out ahead of me by 5 mins and then catch and overtake them.  As long as I finish ahead of or with them, I have my time as long as they are on the money.

3. Go out and try and run the half in around 1.50 when the legs are fresh and give myself a cushion for the second half if I start to tire.

I ran 10k last night in 57 mins and wasn't pushing the whole way so sort of edging towards option 3.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Milltown Row2

Be in a position that means you won't hit the wall! As it will sap any energy you have mentally and physically out of you and times will be forgotten about and just survival kicks in..

Personally I'd just stick with the pacer and when you are a couple of miles out try and add more pace  ..

The tactic of 1.50 and having 'fresh legs' will evaporate around the 22/23 mile marker

Have you stuck to plan?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I would say stick with the pacer from the start. Don't do option 3...

If it's sub 4 you want they will get you there and if you want to push on if you're fit for it you can.

andoireabu

Cheers lads, think I'll stick with the pacer then and see how it goes.  Mostly stuck to the plan with the odd missed run now and again.  Confident enough so I'll see how it goes.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: andoireabu on September 29, 2022, 01:04:02 PM
Cheers lads, think I'll stick with the pacer then and see how it goes.  Mostly stuck to the plan with the odd missed run now and again.  Confident enough so I'll see how it goes.

Your legs will tell you how strong you are.. I did option 3 (nuclear option) and it backfired.. Were I to go again Pacer is way to go and then test yourself if strong enough

quit yo jibbajabba

Are you a Swatragh man from memory AnDoireabu? Not trying to out you or nothing lol, i see a local man Niall McGuigan big into them 24hr races. Crazy stuff that but fair play to him

imtommygunn

I watched a good bit of one of those one year at mary peters - bonkers. I was watching them when half the ones thought they sounded great and didn't have any strategy then just went out and ran then about half way through the night they were busted and had about 12 hours to go lol.

laoislad

Is it Dublin you doing? Pacers generally very good and hold an even pace. I wouldn't get too worked up in staying right beside them though. The first half or even the first 15 miles in Dublin is mainly uphill, keep the pacers in sight but don't be afraid to ease off on the pace on the uphills, the pacers usually keep an even pace and don't drop off for the hills.

From the Walkinstown roundabout at 15miles to the end there are only a couple of short hills so you would have plenty of time to catch back up to them if they are a bit ahead. The last 6 km is nearly all downhill or very flat so if you have anything left then is the time to really go for it.