GaelicBoots.com

Started by rodney trotter, February 27, 2013, 11:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo

Strange one this which got the better off me.

The range of stuff they are carrying is massive, couldn't believe when I was browsing, literally hundreds, if not thousands, of stock items of all descriptions.

At first I thought it was a few GPA/GAA players who had gone into business and where effectively an online sports store for boots/runners etc. But from looking at the range, its just too expansive to be that.

I registered and bought a cheap pair of casual runners as the prices are good and for nosey sake. Looking at the invoice, it seems to be UK based and the only name I can see is Sportsdirect.com. From looking at the websites and products, its the same goods and webpage laypout etc.

So is effectively this deal an open door for sportsdirect to access the irish market and use the gaa for it. The money (how much, i don't know, could be little, could be a few quid over the year) will head out of the country.

While the sports store is a dying thing at local level, I know 2 shops in Monaghan that are owned by GAA men and would work  hard to keep business going and obviously the GAA is a big part of it, while they support GAA teams as well. Will this further damage this type of store and GAA person, if indeed its sportsdirect that is selling this stuff.

I wonder are the GAA/GPA getting anything out of this with a few players already "ambassadors" for it? Once again is the elite getting funded through the man on the street.

EagleLord

From the layout it's definitely Sportsdirect.com. It's basically the exact same website but threw a GAA background in it. The days of the local sports shop long gone. Most lads would go online for boots these days would they not? I know my lads do anyway. Better range, of boots and sizes, cheaper, delivery to your door, what's not to like..

Bingo

Quote from: EagleLord on March 01, 2013, 03:40:14 PM
From the layout it's definitely Sportsdirect.com. It's basically the exact same website but threw a GAA background in it. The days of the local sports shop long gone. Most lads would go online for boots these days would they not? I know my lads do anyway. Better range, of boots and sizes, cheaper, delivery to your door, what's not to like..

Yeah, they seem to do alright and I could understand it for boots. But this is all footwear - sporting, casual, fashion etc etc. The whole ten yards.

Online shopping is the way forward alright but as its GAA back and endorsed and from looking in you would think you are buying from them or some GPA endorsed player who has set it up. I looked through the press releases on it and no mention of it been a partnership with sportsdirect. That would be my gripe, why hide it? Could they have not engaged Elevarys on it, a long time sponsor of the GAA. Maybe they did and they didn't want to play.

WeeDonns

The sportsdirect link is very interesting!.

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw it on the GAA facebook page was; Why are the GAA officially promoting foreign made goods? I thought merchandise can't be worn on match days unless its Irish made? Or is there a loophole that allows boots but not Jerseys?

Obviously that rule has always been flawed, with O'Neills etc only making a percentage of their gear here, but it protected their monopoly on the market when big players like adidas wanted to make Kerry gear.

Are the GAA at HQ being hypocrites here breaking their own rule?

WeeDonns

Spotted this doing the rounds online;
He has a point. Online is the way forward IMO, but they could have done a deal with an Irish company
QuoteSubject: gaelicboots

Dear Mr Farrell,

I, Gerard Wyley, of Ger Wyley Footwear and Sportswear, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford, wish to put on record my concerns regarding the launch of Gaelic boots .com and its endorsement by the GPA and the GAA.
I have been in business for the last 24yrs and during this time I have had a close association with and have been a staunch supporter of, the Waterford County Board and all of the local clubs.
Only last week I paid the annual sponsorship sum of 2000 euro to Dungarvan Juvenile GAA club. I am also a member of this club and purchase weekly lotto tickets. I sponsor at least 14 other local GAA clubs through race nights, raffles, vouchers etc. I also purchase Deise draw tickets and attend local and inter county games thereby contributing locally and nationally to the GAA. To date in association with Skins we have sponsored 75,000 euro worth of Skins product for the Waterford Senior Hurling panel. With the GPA/GAA encouraging its members ( myself included ) and supporters to purchase not only boots but also runners on Gaelic Boots .com we will no longer be in a position to continue this level of sponsorship.

How can the GPA expect to get sports grants for inter county players from the Irish Goverment while at the same time asking it`s members and supporters to purchase footwear from an English registered company with the VAT going to the British goverment - VAT No GB 898439743 ?

I have two GAA players currently employed - one being an inter county player. With Gaelic Boots .com taking business from me how does your association propose to protect their jobs?

The GPA/GAA have given Sports Direct access to the Irish market without carrying any of the costs we incurr -- rates, insurance, light / heat, advertising, wages, to mention a few. We contribute greatly to the local ecomomy which in turn contributes to the GPA/GAA. If you continue to direct business abroard we will all suffer. e.g. local media depend on our advertising to survive and the GPA/GAA depend on them to publicse their games. By hitting us you are removing a link that breaks the chain.

By encouraging your members and supporters to purchase abroard you are taking money out of the local economy which in turn leaves supporters with less money to attend games. Surely this is not in the GPA/GAA`s interest ?

Why are the GPA/GAA misleading it`s own members and supporters by calling Gaelic Boots .com "your own website" when it is clearly Sportsdirect.com retail Ltd. Company No 03406347 registered in the UK.

It is unbelievable that the GAA/GPA are engouraging its members/supporters to purchase abroad to the detriment of the local economy. I was always of the belief that the GAA/GPA supported the local / grass roots sectors of society. Surely this goes against everything the GAA stands for /

Mr Farrell as a GAA member, supporter and sponsor, I would like to know the finer details of this partnership with sportsdirect.com. What "considerable" financial benefits have been offered to the Association ?
What funds have the GPA committed to "disbursing" to support the game at all levels ?
Will these "funds generated to support the game" be sufficient when revenue goes to a British owned company, businesses are closed, jobs are lost and Irish sports retailers no longer exist to support local initiatives ?
Next year should we direct our Co. Board and local clubs to the GPA,GAA Headoffice or sportsdirect.com for sponsorship ?

This partnership appears to have been hastily conceived and ill thought out. I urge you and your colleagues to consider the long term ramifications of this deal.

"The Association shall use all pratical endeavours to support Irish Industry especially in relation to the provision of trophies and playing gear and equipment."
1.4 (d)
To conclude, online shopping is a fact of life but it is a travesty of justice for a national organisation to be promoting the purchase of merchandise from a UK registered company

yours faithfully in sport

Gerard Wyley

Shamrock Shore

Quoteit`s members

I almost stopped reading after this but anyhoo how does he know the VAT number is not that of a company based in Norn Iron? GAA does not differentiate from companies registered in the 6 counties with those registered in the 26 counties afaik.

LeoMc

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on April 23, 2013, 03:56:10 PM
Quoteit`s members

I almost stopped reading after this but anyhoo how does he know the VAT number is not that of a company based in Norn Iron? GAA does not differentiate from companies registered in the 6 counties with those registered in the 26 counties afaik.

Gaelic boots Company number: 03406347, VAT Number: GB 898 439743
http://www.gaelicboots.com/CustomerServices/OtherInformation/TermsandConditions

Sports Direct Company number: 03406347
https://www.duedil.com/company/03406347/sportsdirect-com-retail-limited
Registered address Shirebrook NG20.

Coolio

Fair play to Gerard. I have no vested interests in retail of any kind but I feel he has raised some good points about the thought process of GAA/GPA on this one. I hope he get's a response and that it gets a public airing.
We're the devils men...

Gabriel_Hurl

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/magpies-chief-ashley-partners-gaa-in-boot-venture-226232.html

QuoteNewcastle United owner Mike Ashley has been confirmed as the main benefactor from the GAA-GPA backed gaelicboots.com website.

Established last November, the company is listed as an Irish one based in John Rogerson's Quay in Dublin. However, the Irish Examiner has discovered its company number, VAT number and shareholders are Ashley's English-based sportsdirect.com.

Although it operates out of Eurobase in Waterford's IDA Industrial Park, the directors named in company registration documents are David Forsey, chief executive of Sports Direct International PLC, and Barry Leach, head of brands division at the retailer.

Forsey has over 160 current directorships with Leach possessing 29. Ashley, who is also a shareholder in Scottish club Rangers, currently holds 64% of Sports Direct which, in 2011, reported profits of €98m (£83.2m).

The GAA's involvement with the UK's leading sports retailer raises questions about whether the organisation is being true to its core values. Rule 1.4 (d) of the GAA's Official Guide states "the Association shall use all practical endeavours to support Irish Industry especially in relation to the provision of trophies and playing gear and equipment".

Armagh Central Council delegate Jarlath Burns has raised concerns about Sports Direct's involvement in a GAA-backed commercial development.

In yesterday's Irish Examiner, Mayo footballer and shoe shop manager Donal Vaughan admitted the enterprise is set to affect his business and questioned what inter-county players will gain from gaelicboots.com.

"I'm not anti-competition and I'd support anything that offers good value and the GPA are endorsing it but I'll be honest and say I don't know will we ever see anything out of it, to be fair," he said.

"We receive our grant but most lads that get anything out of the GPA are the lads based in Dublin, to be fair."

The GAA and GPA have pointed out the initiative will help generate funding for player welfare and development programmes

rosnarun

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on April 23, 2013, 03:56:10 PM
Quoteit`s members

FFS
Dontyoujusthatethehuddledmasses

i Know donie Vaughan has  similar problem with it as he runs a couple of shoe shops around mayo .
but is it any different than the GAA taking money from Vodafone Macdonnell's or Allianz
as Far as im aware no ine in Ireland actrually makes football boots any more ,Do they ?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere