Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

City of Thieves by David Benioff (writes game of thrones tv scripts i believe).  Really really enjoyed this book.  Set in the besieged city of Leningrad during WW2.  Easy read and quite funny in parts.  Read it in no time because of this.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 06, 2016, 10:37:14 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on October 06, 2016, 10:14:40 AM
A few weeks ago i finished "the road" by cormac mccarthy.  Surely this is a real marmite book.  Very strangely written and not a single chapter in the book.  Not a lot happens in the book but it paints a great picture of a post apocalyptic world.  I can even empathise with the characters but i still cant bring myself to like the book.

Wouldnt recommend it and have now no interest at all in watching the film.

Read it in one sitting. One of the best books I have ever read. McCarthy is a genius. No interest in the movie..couldnt be as good as the book.
I agree 5 sams, one of the best books i have read. Got me started on the cormac mccarthy stuff
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

andoireabu

I Heard You Paint Houses by Charles Brandt is a good read. Mob story about the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa.  Rumours of it being made into a film with a big line up of stars
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: andoireabu on October 28, 2016, 05:55:37 PM
I Heard You Paint Houses by Charles Brandt is a good read. Mob story about the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa.  Rumours of it being made into a film with a big line up of stars

andoireabu, Is this about Frank "The Irishman" Sheeran?
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

andoireabu

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on October 28, 2016, 06:15:39 PM

That's the one. The film is to be called 'The Irishman' I think
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

heffo

Quote from: andoireabu on October 28, 2016, 07:54:12 PM

Good book

Tony Baloney

Have you seen the cast?!  :o  De Niro, Pacino and Pesci, directed by Scorcese.

armaghniac

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 29, 2016, 09:00:38 PM

Have you seen the cast?!  :o  De Niro, Pacino and Pesci, directed by Scorcese.

Not an Irishman among them, they should call it the Italian.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

grounded

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGIONNAIRE-MACKENZIE-Harmony-Modern-Warfare-ebook/dp/B008KHLBE4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Very interesting read this about a young lad from Rostrevor, County Down who heads off and joins the French Foreign Legion. Well worth a read.

Main Street

I've just finished a WW2 historical called The Liberation Trilogy by Rick Atkinson, about 90 hours audio excellent stuff altogether, a nice blend of an account of what happened from the invasion of Nth Africa to victory in europe day and how the people involved felt about it.
It got me watching Patton- lust for glory with George Scott for the first time since it came out

https://www.amazon.com/Guns-Last-Light-1944-1945-Liberation/dp/1250037816/ref=la_B000APAHIA_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1480428227&sr=1-1

Main Street

Another year, another Harry Bosch book  by Michael Connelly - The Wrong Side of Goodbye.
It's just another can't put down book, read from cover to cover in no time, though by his standards I felt the last 1/4 was weak.
Whenever Mickey Haller makes an entrance into a Bosch book I get the image of Mathew McConaughey , I wonder has the actor's profile of MH subsumed the character in all respects, even to the author?

Denn Forever

Imagine if you liked the Jack Reacher books.......
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Puckoon

mrdeeds

Quote from: Denn Forever on December 07, 2016, 06:11:57 PM

Love the Jack Reacher books. Have read all except current although have it bought. Still can never picture Tom Cruise as Reacher when reading novels. Finished the Wallander series too. Excellent.

Main Street

Quote from: Denn Forever on December 07, 2016, 06:11:57 PM
Jack is beyond me.