All is rotten in Down and Roscommon

Started by giveballaghback, April 12, 2015, 08:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brick Tamlin

Quote from: gibbs32 on April 13, 2015, 10:54:53 PM
This rossie team will nurture into a top 4 team and will stay at the top for years to come. Statistics dont lie. Massive effort from cbs roscommon in hogan cup. Came up short against the barca school of gaa.congrats to all in dingle andkerry. On another note mayo are finished,galway are strong and roscommon are no.1 and will prove that when we win connacht. All the best to u21 who will also beat tyrone and dublin/tipp in final. Football may be dead in some peoples eyes but there is a Revolution in Roscommon. My beautiful primrose and blue ;)

I think you will find that's St Colman's College, Newry.

muppet

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on April 14, 2015, 08:31:35 AM
Quote from: gibbs32 on April 13, 2015, 10:54:53 PM
This rossie team will nurture into a top 4 team and will stay at the top for years to come. Statistics dont lie. Massive effort from cbs roscommon in hogan cup. Came up short against the barca school of gaa.congrats to all in dingle andkerry. On another note mayo are finished,galway are strong and roscommon are no.1 and will prove that when we win connacht. All the best to u21 who will also beat tyrone and dublin/tipp in final. Football may be dead in some peoples eyes but there is a Revolution in Roscommon. My beautiful primrose and blue ;)

I think you will find that's St Colman's College, Newry.

Maybe Barca to St. Jarlath's Real Madrid?
MWWSI 2017

Croí na hÉireann

Can we lock the ejiots in to this thread? Muppet, tie some rope to your leg and we'll pull you out.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

PAULD123

why have a go at Muppet? St Colman's with 8 titles are the Barca to St Jarlath's Real Madrid. Although more accurately it would be St Colmans are the AC Milan to St Jarlaths Real Madrid.

The Kerry side have won two in a row, which is a fantastic achievement but that is their only two titles and seven colleges have done that in the past. Come back when they have won another 4 or five titles and then we can start comparing them to the historic high achievers of the competition

5 Sams

Quote from: PAULD123 on April 14, 2015, 01:24:11 PM
why have a go at Muppet? St Colman's with 8 titles are the Barca to St Jarlath's Real Madrid. Although more accurately it would be St Colmans are the AC Milan to St Jarlaths Real Madrid.

The Kerry side have won two in a row, which is a fantastic achievement but that is their only two titles and seven colleges have done that in the past. Come back when they have won another 4 or five titles and then we can start comparing them to the historic high achievers of the competition
How many of those other two in a row teams had 220 boys in total at the school?
The Aristocrat Years

Walter Cronc

How many boys attend Colmans. Is it around 800?

Syferus

Quote from: 5 Sams on April 14, 2015, 02:37:22 PM
Quote from: PAULD123 on April 14, 2015, 01:24:11 PM

How many of those other two in a row teams had 220 boys in total at the school?

CBS have 350 students. Lots of small schools do well at colleges. More about organisation and dedication than raw size. Same would be true of Jarlaths or Colmans who continually challenge decade after decade but I know Jarlaths at least has a far wider draw.

larryin89

Deary me the Rossies still bangin on about the secondary school thing .

When they win the Nestor cup the Internet will not be able to handle it , the Rossies will be responsible for a world economic crash.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Lar Naparka

Meanwhile, back to the topic ...

I've just read O'Rourke's article and he did not say that Ross and Down played rotten football.

He was quoted completely out of context by the OP.

Not for the first time, I wonder if this individual's first language was English. ;D

Here is what he said, "From a purist point of view, I thought Down and Roscommon had a rotten style."

He had already dealt at some length with the fuss being kicked up over the amount of hand passing creeping into the game and the way most teams crowded their defenses.Okay, it's hard to watch but managers are not there to entertain the public.

".... Neither do county managers have any more responsibility to the game than anyone else. Their job is to win matches on behalf of their county. They are not bound by some unwritten contract to play the game in a certain way.

Sure, Down and Ross  played "rotten" football but it brought them success, which was the first consideration.

He went on, "Do the Down players care? Does Jim McCorry, their manager, lose any sleep over the way they played? The answer, very firmly, is no. They are looking forward t playing teams like Kerry, Dublin, Cork and Mayo in next year's league. And anyway, when they played the traditional Down style they were going nowhere.

Sop, what did he say about Roscommon?

" The same is true of John Evans and Roscommon. Why should they apologise? They played by the rules and it was a wonderful achievement to get into Division 1. I'm quite sure these counties had a great celebration last Sunday night and nobody was crying about the state of the game. That is not their concern..."

I have to agree with what he has to say here.  "I remember most of the football played by most of the counties for the last 40 years and cannot see any great change in team philosophy."                               
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on April 15, 2015, 01:25:16 PM
Meanwhile, back to the topic ...

I've just read O'Rourke's article and he did not say that Ross and Down played rotten football.

He was quoted completely out of context by the OP.

Not for the first time, I wonder if this individual's first language was English. ;D

Here is what he said, "From a purist point of view, I thought Down and Roscommon had a rotten style."

He had already dealt at some length with the fuss being kicked up over the amount of hand passing creeping into the game and the way most teams crowded their defenses.Okay, it's hard to watch but managers are not there to entertain the public.

".... Neither do county managers have any more responsibility to the game than anyone else. Their job is to win matches on behalf of their county. They are not bound by some unwritten contract to play the game in a certain way.

Sure, Down and Ross  played "rotten" football but it brought them success, which was the first consideration.

He went on, "Do the Down players care? Does Jim McCorry, their manager, lose any sleep over the way they played? The answer, very firmly, is no. They are looking forward t playing teams like Kerry, Dublin, Cork and Mayo in next year's league. And anyway, when they played the traditional Down style they were going nowhere.

Sop, what did he say about Roscommon?

" The same is true of John Evans and Roscommon. Why should they apologise? They played by the rules and it was a wonderful achievement to get into Division 1. I'm quite sure these counties had a great celebration last Sunday night and nobody was crying about the state of the game. That is not their concern..."

I have to agree with what he has to say here.  "I remember most of the football played by most of the counties for the last 40 years and cannot see any great change in team philosophy."                             

Did you see Down or Roscommon play in the league this year, Lar? Colm would only have seen us play once unless he is a closeted Roscommon supporter and not many Leitrim men are that.

We played a lot of attacking, attractive football if that's what you want. Plenty of kick-passing with Senan at FF so really it's a ridiculous comment about hand-passing t to make by a poor pundit who saw a team play for 60 minutes and made huge leaps as to what that team were about.

Meath played incredibly negative football against us and according to much of their own supporters they seem to have done so throughout the league. Why didn't he take the braver tact and focus on the county that he knows best if he wanted to make a worthwhile point based on fact rather than conjecture?

giveballaghback

Lar na parka my man I started the thread, yes my first language is english I think, I also read the O Rourke article and I think I was fairly accurate in what I quoted, now your agenda whatever it is has blinded your ability to read and maybe to think clearly as well, well sure that usually happens ye rhubarbs this time of year and with Galway and Ros improving and yere lads on the slippery slope ye are hyper ventilating already, steady up there and dont get too excited, Mr O Rourke wont get too excited about ye as ye well know, so next time you want to take a cheap shot at a Rossie take a deep breath first and get your facts right.

gibbs32

I agree ballagh but in fairness like yourself and some of the hero members he makes good sence some of the time. Now no one can probably predict games bar me this year and that will continue.i will also give predictions and outcomes for other counties on request. Make the holiday cash this summer. Rossies to win v tyrone u21 and rossies seniors v down in league final following week.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: gibbs32 on April 15, 2015, 10:34:34 PM
I agree ballagh but in fairness like yourself and some of the hero members he makes good sence some of the time. Now no one can probably predict games bar me this year and that will continue.i will also give predictions and outcomes for other counties on request. Make the holiday cash this summer. Rossies to win v tyrone u21 and rossies seniors v down in league final following week.

And Rossies to win against London, and Rossies to win against Sligo, and Rossies to beat Galway, and Rossies to win the quarter final, and Rossies to win semifinal, and rossies to win... well you get my drift don't you gibbs. Fair play to you, you've the exact opposite attitude to me when I predict Mayo games I suppose, but so far they have all been correct.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

larryin89

I think you're brilliant Gibbs . Now get a horse racing thread going and make me a fortune.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

gibbs32

I will humbly take that as a compliment larryin. As i will give in future posts to heros if proved incorrect in my analysis,statistics,inside knowledge and instinct. Its not a surprize rossies will rise to top.its all in place.now the plan is being executed. Revolution hasnt begun in our beautiful game,Rossies are doing in on the pitch,we have the most sexiest,coolest jersey in intercounty and we have a stunning bus (cost effective of course) we have club rossie CR.best set up in gaa bar maybe tyrone in fairness.top it off with naturally gifted mannerly squad of players and management.long live the Rossie Revolution.