All Ireland u21 football championship 2015

Started by giveballaghback, February 16, 2015, 09:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on April 13, 2015, 04:24:52 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 13, 2015, 03:58:45 PM
Combining the two grades is taking a sledgehammer to a problem that needs a surgeon's scalpel. It remains the dumbest, most unambitious proposal that keeps popping up.

The u-21 grade being abolished must be the stuff of nightmares for you Syf.

It would lead to rotten football.

tiempo

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on April 13, 2015, 03:45:26 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on April 13, 2015, 03:29:48 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 13, 2015, 02:39:38 PM
Quote from: Mac2 on April 13, 2015, 01:27:55 PM
Better hurry up and play this Eugene McGee wants rid of it.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/why-its-high-time-to-ditch-u21-grade-once-and-for-all-31137250.html

McGee continues to amuse.

It would be amusing if he wasn't Chairman of The football Review Committee.

'In most club teams at least half the players are minors at present'jesus  :-[

Wonder who told him that

AZOffaly

I presume he means there that most club U21 teams are half full of minors. Half might be stretching it, but there are a lot of minors playing U21.

magpie seanie

It always surprises me when I hear people talk about Markievicz being a "tight" pitch. Never thought of it as that myself and I had many good and some bad days on it. What other grounds would ye regard as having "tight" pitches.

Might make it in to support the mother's county. The underdogs need all the support they can get.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 13, 2015, 10:21:27 PM
Might make it in to support the mother's county. The underdogs need all the support they can get.

Good man! ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on April 13, 2015, 04:27:19 PM
Combining the two grades is taking a sledgehammer to a problem that needs a surgeon's scalpel. It remains the dumbest, most unambitious proposal that keeps popping up.

It might actually make you justify your existence at senior level. Some counties live their lives through their underage teams.

And then they grow up................

ross4life

Quote from: INDIANA on April 13, 2015, 10:31:34 PM

It might actually make you justify your existence at senior level. Some counties live their lives through their underage teams.

We wouldn't have risen from div 4 2011 to div 1 2016 without our underage teams and Tipp seniors thanks to underage teams should rise within the next few years also.

INDIANA you use to have a lot of time for Roscommon for whatever reason that has now changed.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

INDIANA

Quote from: ross4life on April 13, 2015, 10:38:44 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on April 13, 2015, 10:31:34 PM

We wouldn't have risen from div 4 2011 to div 1 2016 without our underage teams and Tipp seniors thanks to underage teams should rise within the next few years also.

INDIANA you use to have a lot of time for Roscommon for whatever reason that has now changed.

To a point it's helped as much as underage can help you but you're kidding youself if you think if u21 was abolished that it still can't happen. if anything it would ensure counties would identify talent a lot earlier and in the long run would level standards across the board

blanketattack

Quote from: Zulu on April 11, 2015, 10:15:52 PM
https://vimeo.com/123992616 Jesus wept!

Reminds me of basketball games in the 1950s before the shot clock, when there might be just 8 baskets in 60 minutes of play with the rest of the time the tall fellas just passed it around themselves.

giveballaghback

Since Ros started their development panels way back in 2003 we have worked from u14 right up to u21 now you cant spot them much earlier than 13 or 14, under 21 is essential in keeping players interested after minor and the work done with those players can only help and improve them which is an asset for their clubs and gives the late developers a chance to make it at county level, Mayo current success came off the back of 4 Connacht u21 titles and their downfall will be their neglect of that grade over the last several years, its even more important for smaller counties like ros to develop at underage level and it was our neglect of underage for nearly 2 decades that left us in the sorry state that we are just now recovering from.

INDIANA

Quote from: giveballaghback on April 13, 2015, 11:04:13 PM
Since Ros started their development panels way back in 2003 we have worked from u14 right up to u21 now you cant spot them much earlier than 13 or 14, under 21 is essential in keeping players interested after minor and the work done with those players can only help and improve them which is an asset for their clubs and gives the late developers a chance to make it at county level, Mayo current success came off the back of 4 Connacht u21 titles and their downfall will be their neglect of that grade over the last several years, its even more important for smaller counties like ros to develop at underage level and it was our neglect of underage for nearly 2 decades that left us in the sorry state that we are just now recovering from.

Not massively convinced. The replacement of minor and u21 with u19 or u20 level would still identify most of the talent for me.

Players don't develop at 22/23 anymore bar the odd exception because their inter county careers will be over by 28 in a few years time. 5-7 years from now you won't see players playing inter county beyond 30/31 due to work and family.

Farrandeelin

You must be delighted that we're neglecting u21. I on the other hand despair when I think four/five years down the line. Yes we won a minor 2 years ago, but it's no use when lotd of them aren't with any inter county setup now.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

maigheo

Reading McGees article I think he wants to abolish the u21 grade and minor grade and then bring back the u21 grade and also create an u 19 and u17 grades.I think my head is about to explode but its my own fault for reading his  article in the first place. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(