Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Tóibín reckons 30-40% of northern SF voters have difficulties with the party's stance on abortion, whereas in the south it's "a healthy third".
Will be interesting to see if many of them stay at home on election day.

Rossfan

An awful lot of them must have stayed at home  on Presidential election day.
Or else voted for MD.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

People could just not vote, but unless Toibin gets going in a lot of constituencies there is no other candidate that is not promoting abortion.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Sheugh Water

Quote from: armaghniac on January 08, 2019, 09:57:08 AM
People could just not vote, but unless Toibin gets going in a lot of constituencies there is no other candidate that is not promoting abortion.

Its partly the abortion thing with me especially the 12 weeks and their position on the conscience vote. But they are trying to be all things to all people on so many issues.

Itchy

Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on January 08, 2019, 02:06:51 AM
Quote from: Sheugh Water on January 08, 2019, 12:37:23 AM
After 25 years voting sf ive had enough, lost their way. Now giving out about peaceful protests outside abortion clinics. Do they not see the irony in this

Good for you I done the same their a pro death party.

Who are you voting for now?

Rossfan

Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on January 08, 2019, 02:06:51 AM
Quote from: Sheugh Water on January 08, 2019, 12:37:23 AM
After 25 years voting sf ive had enough, lost their way. Now giving out about peaceful protests outside abortion clinics. Do they not see the irony in this

Good for you I done the same their a pro death party.
Some would say they always were ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Quote from: Sheugh Water on January 08, 2019, 10:50:20 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on January 08, 2019, 09:57:08 AM

Its partly the abortion thing with me especially the 12 weeks and their position on the conscience vote. But they are trying to be all things to all people on so many issues.

SF jump on the populist bandwagon. Not everyone is on the same bandwagon with all issues, therefore they're losing voters on each issue. That image of O'Neill and McDonald celebrating the abortion result was truly sickening.

I certainly won't be voting them again.

markl121

I used to be a SF voter but how they generally all jump onto band wagons with every single member on social media etc spouting the same stuff is sickening. Does every sinn fein member agree with abortion? I really wouldnt have though so but they are acting like robots. Their politicans seem to have lost the ability to think for themselves and it has been increasingly evident since MON became the northern leader. First it was the gay marraige thing and now its aboprtion. What popular subject with they get to next?

naka

its fair to say they have lost their way( definitely in the North) albeit not to the same extent as the sdlp but the calibre of leadership isn't as strong as it once was.
say what you like but magennis was shrewd and very articulate, Kelly and conor murphy who were more prominent a few years ago and always came across as considered and measured as did Mitchell mc loughlin to name but a few.
the next couple of years will define sinn fein because brexit is coming down the tracks, we are no nearer a united Ireland, Stormont is a fk-up, the carve up of Belfast city counsil with the dup is also damning, the economy is only providing low paid service jobs  so they need to start taking a bit of responsibility an delivering .

Kickham csc

Quote from: markl121 on January 08, 2019, 02:17:35 PM
I used to be a SF voter but how they generally all jump onto band wagons with every single member on social media etc spouting the same stuff is sickening. Does every sinn fein member agree with abortion? I really wouldnt have though so but they are acting like robots. Their politicans seem to have lost the ability to think for themselves and it has been increasingly evident since MON became the northern leader. First it was the gay marraige thing and now its aboprtion. What popular subject with they get to next?

It is clear they have a strategy, and for the strategy to work they need everyone to pull in the one direction.

Sinn Fein are taking steps away from the armed struggle strategy (ballot box and armalite) to one of equality fighters. It only works if everybody is fighting for the same equalities.

So two female leaders not directly linked to the troubles, and fighting for popular causes. I assume the aim is to win over more support from SDLP, Workers Party, Fianna Fáil.

Itchy

You boys are some craic.

The vast majority of people supported legalising abortion in the South. All major political parties supported it. Amnesty international supported it.

So I ask, if you are no longer voting SF because they disagreed with you on ONE issue, tell me then who you will be voting for. Some crack pot independent? Or maybe your more natural bed fellow is the DUP. Maybe you will stop voting full stop. Every party does something that they is at odds with some of their members every now and again.

I used to always tell Fearon its the DUP he should be voting for.

Sheugh Water

Quote from: Itchy on January 08, 2019, 02:49:44 PM
You boys are some craic.

The vast majority of people supported legalising abortion in the South. All major political parties supported it. Amnesty international supported it.

So I ask, if you are no longer voting SF because they disagreed with you on ONE issue, tell me then who you will be voting for. Some crack pot independent? Or maybe your more natural bed fellow is the DUP. Maybe you will stop voting full stop. Every party does something that they is at odds with some of their members every now and again.

I used to always tell Fearon its the DUP he should be voting for.

Im no longer voting them on multiple issues. Abortion, SIF, Bonfire Funds, Poor leadership, Poor record on job creation,  widespread take over of community groups among many things. Im not sure who I will vote yet as I don't know who will stand in Derry. I do think McCallion will lose her seat here, and I celebrated that win with great joy at the time.

Once McGuinness went it became a changed party. Adams is an embarrassment.

Tubberman

Arah that ould 'gay' thing is only a fad, it'll go out of fashion again.
God be with the good old days when the Church ruled the roost - there were no gays then! And no need for abortions either, women kept their legs closed!
Bring back those good old days!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Hardy

You have to choose to see it as funny if you want to stay sane. Gay marriage is what turned them off SF!

Jim_Murphy_74

Their politicans seem to have lost the ability to think for themselves and it has been increasingly evident since MON became the northern leader. First it was the gay marraige thing and now its aboprtion.

It's not unusual for a party to keep members in line with whip for issues.

As for thinking for themselves I thought the evidence at the RHI inquiry was very damning.  The evidence of Martin O'Muilleoir was shocking but overshadowed by the DUP shenagins.  It appeared that the most mundane of decisions were passed to third parties for sing-off.

It's a measure of how dysfunctional Northern politics has become that this hardly garnered any attention.

/Jim.