The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/21/government-shutdown-trump-democrats-republicans-senate-vote

Donald Trump used Twitter to urge Senate Republicans to end the impasse by taking the "nuclear option" if the "stalemate continues".

Such a move would allow Republicans to pass legislation without Democratic support, lowering the majority needed to pass a bill to just 51 votes. It is, however, not favoured by the GOP Senate leader, Mitch McConnell.

The president arguing that Democrats were placing the nation's borders under threat by opposing a short-term budget fix.

"The Dems just want illegal immigrants to pour into our nation unchecked," Trump tweeted.

Quick guideAll you need to know about the US government shutdownShow

Advertisement

The remarks followed an agressive Trump campaign advert released on Saturday, which said Democrats opposing the president's hardline immigration agenda were "complicit in every murder committed by illegal immigrants".

Marc Short, the White House director of legislative affairs, told NBC's Meet the Press "that ad was produced by an outside group and not those of us in the White House".

The ad concludes with a picture of the president giving two thumbs up and his voice saying: "I'm Donald Trump and I approve this message."

The Vermont senator Bernie Sanders condemned the ad, telling CNN's State of the Union is was "nonsense and outrageous".

Sanders, an independent who caucuses with Democrats, is helping lead efforts to secure talks safeguards for Dreamers, young undocumented migrants brought to the US who gained protected status under the Obama administration that was rescinded by Trump.

News shows repeated Fox & Friends footage from 2013, when Republicans in Congress drove the last government shutdown, over healthcare reform.

"Well, if you say who gets fired it always has to be the top," Trump said then. "I mean, problems start from the top and they have to get solved from the top and the president's the leader. And he's got to get everybody in a room and he's got to lead."

The Senate needs to lead," Graham said, "because no one else is and the White House staff is making things very difficult."

Graham said White House proposals for spending on border security were "just not credible" and referred to a senior policy adviser to Trump and leading immigration hardliner when he said: "As long as Stephen Miller's in charge of negotiating on immigration we're going nowhere. He's been an outlier for years."

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

whitey

Hahaha...I see that the FBI "lost"all texts from rogue Agent Peter Strzok from Dec 2016 thru May 2017.....how convenient.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-fbi-clinton/senator-says-fbi-lost-crucial-texts-tied-to-clinton-probe-idUSKBN1FA15O

seafoid

Gmac

Quote from: seafoid on January 21, 2018, 08:43:13 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/21/government-shutdown-trump-democrats-republicans-senate-vote

Donald Trump used Twitter to urge Senate Republicans to end the impasse by taking the "nuclear option" if the "stalemate continues".

Such a move would allow Republicans to pass legislation without Democratic support, lowering the majority needed to pass a bill to just 51 votes. It is, however, not favoured by the GOP Senate leader, Mitch McConnell.

The president arguing that Democrats were placing the nation's borders under threat by opposing a short-term budget fix.

"The Dems just want illegal immigrants to pour into our nation unchecked," Trump tweeted.

Advertisement

The remarks followed an agressive Trump campaign advert released on Saturday, which said Democrats opposing the president's hardline immigration agenda were "complicit in every murder committed by illegal immigrants".

Marc Short, the White House director of legislative affairs, told NBC's Meet the Press "that ad was produced by an outside group and not those of us in the White House".

The ad concludes with a picture of the president giving two thumbs up and his voice saying: "I'm Donald Trump and I approve this message."

The Vermont senator Bernie Sanders condemned the ad, telling CNN's State of the Union is was "nonsense and outrageous".

Sanders, an independent who caucuses with Democrats, is helping lead efforts to secure talks safeguards for Dreamers, young undocumented migrants brought to the US who gained protected status under the Obama administration that was rescinded by Trump.

News shows repeated Fox & Friends footage from 2013, when Republicans in Congress drove the last government shutdown, over healthcare reform.

"Well, if you say who gets fired it always has to be the top," Trump said then. "I mean, problems start from the top and they have to get solved from the top and the president's the leader. And he's got to get everybody in a room and he's got to lead."

The Senate needs to lead," Graham said, "because no one else is and the White House staff is making things very difficult."

Graham said White House proposals for spending on border security were "just not credible" and referred to a senior policy adviser to Trump and leading immigration hardliner when he said: "As long as Stephen Miller's in charge of negotiating on immigration we're going nowhere. He's been an outlier for years."
seafoid u will be happy to hear the government shut down is over

whitey

Surely you mean the "Schumer Shutdown?"

seafoid

Quote from: Gmac on January 22, 2018, 05:59:14 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 21, 2018, 08:43:13 PM

Donald Trump used Twitter to urge Senate Republicans to end the impasse by taking the "nuclear option" if the "stalemate continues".

Such a move would allow Republicans to pass legislation without Democratic support, lowering the majority needed to pass a bill to just 51 votes. It is, however, not favoured by the GOP Senate leader, Mitch McConnell.

The president arguing that Democrats were placing the nation's borders under threat by opposing a short-term budget fix.

Advertisement

The remarks followed an agressive Trump campaign advert released on Saturday, which said Democrats opposing the president's hardline immigration agenda were "complicit in every murder committed by illegal immigrants".

Sanders, an independent who caucuses with Democrats, is helping lead efforts to secure talks safeguards for Dreamers, young undocumented migrants brought to the US who gained protected status under the Obama administration that was rescinded by Trump.

News shows repeated Fox & Friends footage from 2013, when Republicans in Congress drove the last government shutdown, over healthcare reform.

seafoid u will be happy to hear the government shut down is over
The Trump clown show continues....

seafoid

Jesse Lehrich

@JesseLehrich

in a survey of @MorganStanley analysts across industries, "barely 1 in 5 said firms would pass *even some* of the tax gains on to workers." (link: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/22/us/politics/bonuses-tax-laws-trump-impact.html)

And Trump promised Flake a deal on DACA in return for his vote on the tax cuts.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/12/01/us/politics/senate-tax-bill.html

"In the late afternoon, Ms. Collins announced her support for the bill, citing those changes as well as a promise from Mr. McConnell that he would support two bipartisan bills meant to help stabilize individual insurance markets under the Affordable Care Act. Ms. Collins had expressed concern about a provision in the tax bill to repeal the act's mandate that most Americans have insurance or pay a penalty.

Lawmakers also included a more generous tax break for companies organized as pass-through entities, a provision needed to win the support of Mr. Johnson and Senator Steve Daines of Montana.

And, in a bid to get Senator Jeff Flake of Arizona on board, leaders agreed to work on providing "fair and permanent protections" for the beneficiaries of an Obama-era effort that protects young undocumented immigrants from deportation, known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, Mr. Flake said."

J70

And it still won't save the coal industry.

J70

We were toying with putting in solar this summer, contingent on whether we decide to keep the house long term. This throws a nice big spanner in the works.

whitey

Hmmmmm.....seemingly a "secret society" met the day after the election.

Very suspicious indeed

Gabriel_Hurl

What goes on in that head of yours whitey?

Actually - don't tell me - I'm afraid to find out

whitey

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 23, 2018, 03:17:46 PM
What goes on in that head of yours whitey?

Actually - don't tell me - I'm afraid to find out

Believe whatever you want.....it's right there in the texts between the rogue FBI agents

I'm shocked that this hasn't been covered by the lame stream media