The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rudi

Quote from: whitey on November 04, 2020, 10:14:48 AM
Has anyone checked their local bridge-I haven't heard from Sid in a while

No hes on one of his multiple social media accounts calling someone he has never met a right wing nut job. Hardman behind a keyboard. Bit like those antifa yokes.

J70

Quote from: Hound on November 04, 2020, 11:17:36 AM
Biden's lead in Nevada has almost evaporated. Only a 7k lead with 14% of the vote left. Can't afford to lose that. mail-in votes expected to be more blue than red, but another one in the melting pot.

A lot of the unreported is in the Vegas and Reno districts. As the most densely populated, you'd expect them to go for Biden.

I'd be more worried about Michigan and Wisconsin.

Hound

Quote from: J70 on November 04, 2020, 11:20:24 AM
Quote from: Hound on November 04, 2020, 11:17:36 AM
Biden's lead in Nevada has almost evaporated. Only a 7k lead with 14% of the vote left. Can't afford to lose that. mail-in votes expected to be more blue than red, but another one in the melting pot.

A lot of the unreported is in the Vegas and Reno districts. As the most densely populated, you'd expect them to go for Biden.

I'd be more worried about Michigan and Wisconsin.
Agreed.
Really not sure how the bookies think they've seen enough to make Biden favourite. Close yes, but the slight edge still seems to be with Trump. But too close to call really

gallsman

Quote from: Rudi on November 04, 2020, 11:18:10 AM

No hes on one of his multiple social media accounts calling someone he has never met a right wing nut job. Hardman behind a keyboard. Bit like those antifa yokes.

Out in the streets yourself, are you?

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: thewobbler on November 04, 2020, 11:14:18 AM
Some absolutely rampant racism above.

These theories about fear of communism / Catholicism / innate conservative bias among Latinos are exceptionally sweeping. The one that claimed Latinos en masse have fallen foul of propaganda regarding America going communist, is an extraordinary comment. Imagine believing that an entire race is stupid enough to fall for propaganda.

——

There is a chance that Latinos in Florida have a good life. Or at least a demonstrably better life than their family members / ascendants from "home". So they might not want change.

I sincerely hope Trump gets ousted today. But ffs show a bit of decency in your sweeping statements folks.

Settle petal.

No one is speaking in absolutes. There's no sweeping claims that any ethnicity is a homogenous block.

But there are clearly certain factors that were particularly influential for certain groups of people. That is all that was stated. And it's perfectly fine to look at things at this sort of granular level - it's literally how politics works.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Itchy

I cant remember any event having bookies so all over the shop in such a short space of time. Not a good day for people who get paid to make predictions.

Rudi

Quote from: gallsman on November 04, 2020, 11:27:26 AM
Quote from: Rudi on November 04, 2020, 11:18:10 AM

Out in the streets yourself, are you?

What?

OgraAnDun

Quote from: thewobbler on November 04, 2020, 11:14:18 AM
Some absolutely rampant racism above.

These theories about fear of communism / Catholicism / innate conservative bias among Latinos are exceptionally sweeping. The one that claimed Latinos en masse have fallen foul of propaganda regarding America going communist, is an extraordinary comment. Imagine believing that an entire race is stupid enough to fall for propaganda.

——

There is a chance that Latinos in Florida have a good life. Or at least a demonstrably better life than their family members / ascendants from "home". So they might not want change.

I sincerely hope Trump gets ousted today. But ffs show a bit of decency in your sweeping statements folks.

No racism in my post, I'm very familiar with the Latino community in both the US and in their home countries. Read the reports of what happened in south Florida and quotes from many on both sides of the political divide there - one man quoted a friend who couldn't say he supported Biden in work as he'd lose his job for being a Communist  ::) The Latino communities in other parts of the States aren't heavily Cuban or Venezuelan so aren't as easily affected by the McCarthy-ism. Of course, it doesn't exclude Latinos from other countries from supporting Trump - I used to live with Panamanians based in New York who are huge Trump supporters and even substantial donors.

Also I'm not sure where the racism (defined as "prejudice, discrimination or antagonism... against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group) in my post was... if I'd called all Latinos, Cubans or Venezuelans stupid then yes - but that would be highly hypocritical of me and also blatantly untrue. Anybody who believes a vote for Biden is a vote for Communism, however, deserves the description of "stupid".

thewobbler

Ed, you are claiming that Cubans and Venezuelans are falling for propaganda.

I'm interpreting this as "those Latinos are generally thick or uneducated, which makes them easily swayed".

Step back and think about what you're saying. Please. This has nothing to do with how politics works.

J70

Quote from: Itchy on November 04, 2020, 11:29:30 AM
I cant remember any event having bookies so all over the shop in such a short space of time. Not a good day for people who get paid to make predictions.

I feel for them.

My pessimistic nature says Trump will edge it, but this really could go either way from what I'm reading.

I guess they can only keep it tight for both bets and watch where the money is going.

Hound

Oh, big change in Michigan

After 80% counted Trump led by 203k
After 83% counted Trump leads by 65k

Game is certainly on in MI

whitey

Quote from: gallsman on November 04, 2020, 10:51:12 AM
Quote from: whitey on November 04, 2020, 10:29:23 AM
Even if Joe wins, how much of a mandate does he have?

f**k off.

LOL-and that's exactly what the Democrats said about Trump in 2016

Don't like it now that the boot is in the other foot do you?

screenexile

At the minute it sounds like Nevada holds and Arizona is OK for Biden.

It's all about Wisconsin and Michigan... Pennsylvania is a big gap but it's going to close it looks Republican leaning though given Ohio.

I think Michigan will be Biden but Wisconsin is going to be paper thin I reckon! It can't be called without Nevada though and that's not going to be until Thursday night at the earliest.

J70

Quote from: Hound on November 04, 2020, 11:36:10 AM

Detroit must be coming or has come in.

gallsman

Quote from: thewobbler on November 04, 2020, 11:34:00 AM
Ed, you are claiming that Cubans and Venezuelans are falling for propaganda.

I'm interpreting this as "those Latinos are generally thick or uneducated, which makes them easily swayed".

Step back and think about what you're saying. Please. This has nothing to do with how politics works.

Wobbler, the Cuban bloc has always voted republican, and got6 the reasons outlined above. All you have to do is look at an absolute joke like Marco Rubio and you see what they vote for. This isn't news.

Quote from: J70 on November 04, 2020, 11:37:31 AM
Quote from: Hound on November 04, 2020, 11:36:10 AM

Detroit must be coming or has come in.

Wayne County, yeah, with a good bit more to come.