Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StGallsGAA

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on September 30, 2017, 09:11:03 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 30, 2017, 08:19:50 PM
Quote from: punt kick on September 30, 2017, 08:12:20 PM
Cross supporters show again what scumbags they are.

What happened?

First of all, there was an excellent game of football. Maghery deservedly won the game by 2-13 to 0-16. I was fascinated to see what might be the fallout from the first game between these two - would it instil in Maghery the confidence to beat Cross when it really mattered. We got our answer tonight. Maghery played with the confidence of a team who knew they had the beating of Rangers, and when Rangers threatened a great comeback (narrowing the gap from six points to one point) they never panicked and eased to victory.

Unfortunately the game was marred at the end when one Cross player in particular experienced what I can only describe as a meltdown of discipline and started a major row right by the fence on the Drumarg side of the ground, which prompted incursions from the stand.

Who was the Cross player who started it all then? the

on the hop

completely off the point, but I have a facebook page called gaa programme collectors. this year I am trying to collect the 70 odd county final programmes throughout the country. doing well so far but I am finding it hard to source a lot of them in ulster but especially the Armagh hurling or football ones. looking for any advice or help where they can be got. I can be contacted through the Facebook page. thanks

T Fearon

Where to now for Armagh club football with Harps and Ballyhegan easily eliminated by average teams in the first round of the Ulster Senior and Junior Championship?

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on October 29, 2017, 03:01:16 PM
Where to now for Armagh club football with Harps and Ballyhegan easily eliminated by average teams in the first round of the Ulster Senior and Junior Championship?

You'll just have to bring back Cross'.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

brokencrossbar1

What is wrong is staring people in the face but they refuse/cannot see what is wrong. Nothing to do with us or our success but a lot to do with the overall coaching strategy within the county.

heganboy

Quote from: T Fearon on October 29, 2017, 03:01:16 PM

great to see you obviously weren't at the athletic grounds today then Tony.

Maybe don't just read the score and then pontificate
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Armamike

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 29, 2017, 07:18:53 PM
What is wrong is staring people in the face but they refuse/cannot see what is wrong. Nothing to do with us or our success but a lot to do with the overall coaching strategy within the county.

There is a new county board strategy that talks broadly about the importance of links with schools and clubs (i think!) but the bottom line is how these things get implemented.
That's just, like your opinion man.

youhavenofans

Hi folks, I am looking for a friendly for a Div 1 tyrone minor team. Could anyone recommend me any teams to play and possible contact details? thanks

keeperlit

Took in u20 game last night. Good to get a win after the recent horror shows of the seniors and u17s.
Armagh pulled away from Fermanagh in the last 15 mins but to be truthful Fermanagh were very poor and this group of Armagh players should be beating them out the gate. Individually Armagh players were better than their direct opponents and at the end the result reflected this.

However, talented and all as they are I do believe that Tyrone will beat them comfortably (I hope I'm wrong) as the team seemed to be  sent out to play the same way as the seniors with players been allowed the option of hiding out around the middle,opponents waltzing through this zonally marshalled defence without a hand been laid on them and if a defender does get the ball there is no outlet ball. It would appear that all our development squads are playing this way as well. This is quite in unnerving.

There is a real risk that Armagh could waste another generation of talent here if the current approach is not, at the very least, reviewed but preferably binned and a new approach developed and implemented. There is a fundamental problem with regard coaching within our county and it needs to be addressed urgently to halt the apathy towards the county team that is, I feel, currently increasing at a alarming rate.

For the record, this is not a "McGeeney out" rant, as a lot of these problems have manifested themselves before kieran's time but he has probably been shown up to be out of his depth over the course of the last four years with Armagh. (Last year favourables draws in the qualifiers papered over the cracks of a bad year when promotion and a win over down were the only the two results that mattered)

There is definitely the talent in the county to be doing better than we are showing at the minute and I hope we can find our way to harness this talent and at least getting us to be challenging for an Ulster at the very least.

keeperlit

Does anyone know what the story is with club championship ticket in Armagh this year? How much is it and where and when will you be able to get the it? Thanks in advance.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: keeperlit on August 14, 2018, 10:56:55 PM
Does anyone know what the story is with club championship ticket in Armagh this year? How much is it and where and when will you be able to get the it? Thanks in advance.

The Championship Ticket costs £85 or €100. My understanding is that it is available now. It is available from the County offices in the Ceannarus Building at the Athletic Grounds.

DuffleKing

We should revive this thread. Senior championship is looking competitive and wide open. Interesting at the very least even if it isn't of the highest quality

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 15, 2018, 04:06:44 PM
We should revive this thread. Senior championship is looking competitive and wide open. Interesting at the very least even if it isn't of the highest quality

I'd be curious as to people's views on the new Championship format.

I personally think we have something close to perfection as regards league, championship and the connection between the two, albeit that it has taken us a long time to get here and a lot of trial and error in the process.

One of the criticisms I have heard is that the round robin group stage takes 24 matches to get rid of just 4 teams. However the Clann Eireann delegates at the County Convention explained that three going forward from each group was necessary to ensure there were no dead rubbers. I'm convinced by that argument, as I'm sure we would have the old 'w/o - dnf' combination in our Championship fixtures list which would relfect terribly on our Championship.   

general_lee

I'd prefer straight knockout if I'm honest

keeperlit

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 15, 2018, 04:06:44 PM

Good call regarding thread.

Think the quality is not too bad. Cross have come back in quality a bit but a few other clubs have stepped up.
In fairness as, rufus says, the current set up is probably as good as you are going to be able to get for aligning leagues and championships etc.
From a games point of view,  It is better than last year were some clubs had all football finished up for the year in August leaving a free pass for competing sports. A caveat to this is the huge demands that are been placed on the limited number of referees, stewards and volunteers to deal with all these matches. Wouldn't fancy having to organise the logistics of all that!😓😁😁